How does the President travel

rwellner98

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rw2
Great video about what it takes to move the President from point A to point B.

And here I am worrying about the operating costs of my RV....

Thanks for sharing this.

What kills me is the tax dollars we spend on Secret Service protection for ex presidents.

Waiting for the lock...
I am in the same boat. Once they are no longer serving they are considered "normal citizens" and should be treated as such. Why do they need any protection? We should be allowed to stand outside their home and throw eggs at it like any other. Jus sayin

And further, why do representatives and senators get salary for life? Or, is that just urban legend?

And further, why do representatives and senators get salary for life? Or, is that just urban legend?

Not salary, but a very generous pension, even after serving a short time. I think the max amount is 80% of salary which is dependent on a few requirements.

I should have run for office years ago. The average congresscritter's salary is $174,000!!!
$12,000 at the state level in Nebraska. Governor really isn't that great either...105k.

Anyone know how many retiree pensions we're funding? Just curious...

Don't forget insurance benefits to boot. I bet things would be different if they were given "affordable" health care plans.

The Atlanta City Police Chief just retired, I think I read he gets $21K per month! I'll have to look it up again.

What kills me is the tax dollars we spend on Secret Service protection for ex presidents.

Waiting for the lock...

Doesn't amount to much.

They started protecting former presidents with Truman, I think. The secret service kept two officers on duty, in a house across the street from his, waiting for him to emerge from his house on a walk to his museum office or wherever, and they tailed him, and strained to keep up with him because he walked fast. Truman thought they were a nuisance, and didn't cooperate much. But they were not expensive -- just a handful of officers operating from a fixed location in an average American town.

Protecting the one in office is vastly more expensive. Vastly.

Doesn't amount to much.

They started protecting former presidents with Truman, I think. The secret service kept two officers on duty, in a house across the street from his, waiting for him to emerge from his house on a walk to his museum office or wherever, and they tailed him, and strained to keep up with him because he walked fast. Truman thought they were a nuisance, and didn't cooperate much. But they were not expensive -- just a handful of officers operating from a fixed location in an average American town.

Protecting the one in office is vastly more expensive. Vastly.
Word for the Day - VASTLY!

Here is an example of the word in a sentence - Cash me ouside vastly, how bow dat!

Regarding protecting ex president: we kind of have to.

Just think of what would happen if an ex president were kidnapped by an enemy.

I know the official stance is that we would not negotiate, but at the very least it would be a huge distraction from what is important, it would give the enemy a lot of exposure and may cause policy changes.

There was a good scene in the TV show "the west wing" where President Bartlett was explaining to his daughter why she needed to accept Secret Service protection.

Back