How does getting a medical work now?

U

Unregistered

I flew from 1999 to 2006 and had a medical. In 2006 I sold my airplane and have only flown rentals with and instructor 5 times since 2006. I am trying to get a medical. I am 64 years old. I have several of ratings, instrument, commercial, seaplane, used to have instructor, and 2600 hours and can still fly just fine. I was just a private pilot with the class 3 medical before. All l need is a class 3.

I called a Dr that takes FAA medical appts and his receptionist told me to bring:
1. Prior medical exam
2. form 8500-8
3. special issuance letter (not sure of spelling, she claims its "insurance")
4. statement of demonstrated ability (what is that?)

Just what are these?
What all can I expect here? I never had to bring a "prior medical exam" with me or do any of this other stuff. What is "statement of demonstrated ability?"

I went medexpress\faa.gov and tried to open an account so I can fill out form 8500-8. Havent received email back however. (Its only been 1/2 hour)

My other hobby is motorcycle road racing a Ducati 1098.

It sounds like the receptionist did not know what she was talking about or had you confused with someone else? :confused:

The only thing that changed is that you now have to fill out the 8500-8 on medxpress.faa.gov.

She is just reading off a printed info sheet. That is all the information she has. True, she does not really know what she is talking about however she does not have me confused with someone else. She knows who I am and some information on my situation. I do have some medications I take and I told her.

So I fill out the 8500-8 form online? Do I print it out? How does the doctor access it?

Unless you already had a Special Issuance (SI) or Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA), there shouldn't be anything to bring with you. SODA is for something like color blindness - you take a test with a FSDO rep by looking at a light gun and if you pass you get a SODA letter that gives you a pass on the next colorblindness test. She probably was just running down the list the AME gave her. I'm sure there are other reasons for a SODA. If you had one, you'd know.

FAA does make you fill out the form on-line now, not on paper. You go to the website that was mentioned in the above post and fill in all the info. Print it out when you are done. You will get a code number printed on it. The AME then types the code number into his computer and that activates the form. Until then, it just sits and waits until it times out after 30 days, maybe 60 when it disappears.

Some folks will say - give the AME your form and tear off the number, then ask for a 'consult' class III exam. He can do everything on the exam and it won't be official. If you pass, give him the code number. If not, then you haven't 'failed' the exam because you never took it. I don't know how much your health has changed since the last medical you had, but this is something that some people do.

Some folks will say - give the AME your form and tear off the number, then ask for a 'consult' class III exam. He can do everything on the exam and it won't be official. If you pass, give him the code number. If not, then you haven't 'failed' the exam because you never took it. I don't know how much your health has changed since the last medical you had, but this is something that some people do.

I think is a very good idea if there are any questions in your mind you will fail.
Best option is call Dr Bruce tell him EVERYTHING and see what he sayes. http://home.comcast.net/~bbchien/site/?/page/How_to_Start/

I'd suggest (as will others) having your doc determine whether or not you'd pass the medical before committing to it. If you get denied, you're done flying - permanently. If you simply don't renew, you're at least still allowed to fly with Sport Pilot privileges. But -- there's a "death penalty" for getting denied.

You mention medications. Depending on the underlying condition you may need a note from your prescribing physician that the condition is under control, etc. Talk to your AME first so you can have the note in hand at the time of the exam.

I flew from 1999 to 2006 and had a medical. In 2006 I sold my airplane and have only flown rentals with and instructor 5 times since 2006. I am trying to get a medical. I am 64 years old. I have several of ratings, instrument, commercial, seaplane, used to have instructor, and 2600 hours and can still fly just fine. I was just a private pilot with the class 3 medical before. All l need is a class 3.

I called a Dr that takes FAA medical appts and his receptionist told me to bring:
1. Prior medical exam
2. form 8500-8
3. special issuance letter (not sure of spelling, she claims its "insurance")
4. statement of demonstrated ability (what is that?)

Just what are these?
What all can I expect here? I never had to bring a "prior medical exam" with me or do any of this other stuff. What is "statement of demonstrated ability?"

I went medexpress\faa.gov and tried to open an account so I can fill out form 8500-8. Havent received email back however. (Its only been 1/2 hour)

My other hobby is motorcycle road racing a Ducati 1098.

Sounds like she was reading off of a checklist. Might want to consider another AME, or ask to speak to the AME. However, if you have issues, you may want to consult with Dr. Bruce Chien. Also, you may want to go to your doctor to see if you have issues. Both of these suggestions should be done before filling out MedXpress.

If there is nothing wrong with you, do the 8500-8 on the internet. Get the reference number.

Call and make/go to appointment.

Go flying.

Thanks for all the replies. Right now its been 24 hours and I haven't received my password into my email account so they system doesn't seem to be working. Not sure what to do next. My appointment is March 20.

Thanks for all the replies. Right now its been 24 hours and I haven't received my password into my email account so they system doesn't seem to be working. Not sure what to do next. My appointment is March 20.

Create a new email account on hotmail, gmail, yahoo, or the like.

Then restart the registration process and complete the form.

The old stuff that isn't working will eventually evaporate into free electrons with no consequences to you.

A tip once you have entered all of the information, submitted, and have the completed form being shown to you on the screen..... SAVE SAVE SAVE a copy as a PDF file for future reference. You do have to print it out, but if you don't save a PDF file for yourself, you cannot get it back once you exit that screen.

Having the copy on your hard drive makes it much easier to enter data the next time. Especially the doctor visits.

Create a new email account on hotmail, gmail, yahoo, or the like.

Then restart the registration process and complete the form.

The old stuff that isn't working will eventually evaporate into free electrons with no consequences to you.

A tip once you have entered all of the information, submitted, and have the completed form being shown to you on the screen..... SAVE SAVE SAVE a copy as a PDF file for future reference. You do have to print it out, but if you don't save a PDF file for yourself, you cannot get it back once you exit that screen.

Having the copy on your hard drive makes it much easier to enter data the next time. Especially the doctor visits.

Mike's right about the saving part.

You can always get back into the form with your id/pw, until you can't. I think it disappears from the system after the AME activates it with the code or 30 days elapse, whichever comes first. You can't get back in because once it's activated or gone, there's no need to edit. It will retain whatever info you have in there, so you can start to fill it out, log off for a day or three while you look up doc visits for the last three years, then log back in to complete it.

It isn't complete until you press the "complete" button, or whatever it's called.

Also, what Mike said - If you need to start over, or open a new account, just use a new e-mail. It will associate your account with that address. For some reason your first attempt failed - who knows why, but it sometimes happens.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back