How do You Visually Distinguish Btwn a Cessna 172R and a 172S

Data plate. Other than that good luck.

That and the tachometer -- 172R redlined at 2400 rpm (if it hasn't been modified per STC), 172S at 2700.

Thanks.

I was trying to determine whether or not the plane I will be flying is an R or an S. The schools website says it's a 172S. Per EdFred's suggestion, I went straight to the source and looked at the data plate and it says "172R."

However, the stall speeds on the air speed indicator are 40/48 rather than 33/40. And, given your lead, I see that the redline for RPMs is at 2700 rather than 2400.

So, I'm looking at a 172R that has been modified to be a 172S? Maybe just a change in prop pitch? ... with a corresponding change in the air speed indicator and RPM Gauge?

Last edited:
Why exactly do you care ? It's a 172 !

I dunnoh. 172s are new to me. They have different V-speeds and I figured I should probably know which ones apply.

The SPs have a large airspeed correction near the stall, but they aren't significantly different. The R and S models are the same.

All 172s fly more or less the same. On the SPs, you need to know where to find all 14 sumps and the engine start procedure is a bit different from earlier models.

The SPs have a large airspeed correction near the stall, but they aren't significantly different. The R and S models are the same.

All 172s fly more or less the same. On the SPs, you need to know where to find all 14 sumps and the engine start procedure is a bit different from earlier models.

Every time I've preflighted, I've checked the five on each wing and the three under the cowling by the nose. Where's the fourteenth one?

You're right. I counted the fuel strainer twice.

Fair enough! You really had me wondering if my sight is worse than I thought there for a minute :rofl:

On a somewhat related note - why aren't the fuel sump locations explicitly listed in the POH?

On a somewhat related note - why aren't the fuel sump locations explicitly listed in the POH?

It took me a while to find it, but the POH shows all 13 fuel sump locations in FIG. 7-6. No lawsuit required.

172s%20-%20Fuel%20Sumps.jpg

Does the POH say not to take off if the tanks have no gas in them? You still might have a case!

Surprisingly (or not I suppose), the POH for a Cessna 172S pretty much says that. I'm certain that this obvious note had something to do with a lawyer:

Cessna_172S_Fuel_System.jpg

Back