How do you use your hangar?

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
Other than parking your airplane in it ! :D

I just signed a lease on my very own hangar last night and I pick up the keys on Thursday !!! It is HUGE ! with folding electric doors and I can't even begin to tell you the square footage (I didn't ask) I was like yep it's big , I will take it! I needed it before I take delivery of my first 100% owned airplane in the next 3 or 4 days.. :goofy:

So my question is how what all do you guys/gals put in there? I already have visions of a few chairs, fridge, toolbox, among other things..

It's not heated but it's new and insulated and want to keep things there if I just wanted to sit and watch the runway on a sunny day and drink a nice cold coke!

Mine is a rectangle rather than a T. I have a rolltop desk. Rollaway tool box, shelves, coffee pot, air compressor, weedeater for keeping it looking tidy with the doors closed, broom, workbench with vise. various drop lights, a short square bench for setting the cowling onto at annual time, my shirt tail cutoff from 1991 solo, and one of my two street cars.

I have a Mustang GT and a Mercedes SLK. I drive the SLK during the summer months so I can enjoy top down driving, and the Mustang in the Winter. When the time of year comes, I leave one in the hangar and start driving the other.

Oh, I almost forgot, I keep Miss Piggy in there too when she's not out getting her exercise.

Last edited:
I have a table, small air compressor, old comforter to throw over the cowl in the winter months, mountain bike, electric pre-heater, riding tug, battery minder, garbage barrel, and that's it other than the plane.

My Hangar at CJR has aviation wise:

Some shelves with various spares, supplies on it
Cheap air compressor (primarily for the tires)
Set of mechanics tools.
The cell-phone preheater controller with the antenna stuck out the eaves.
Filing cabinet where I stuff random stuff including the log books

For pilot comfort stuff:

A couple of chairs and an old hide-a-bed (not that I've ever unfolded that in the hangar).
A dining table used (used this for setting up the ATC 610 when PIC did my instrument trainnig).
Refrigerator.

My NC hangar has a few more things in it:

My boat during the winter.
Margy's plants durning the winter
Video projector.
Assorted tables and chairs for parties, wine tastings, etc....
Big assed aircompressor
Mechanics tools
Various shelves with aircraft and boat supplies
Laundry-tub style sink with hose attachment.
Portable "Movin Cool" airconditioner.
Excess wood from the workshop.
Dust collector for the workshop.
3 Ton Chain hoist on a trolley running along the support beam.
and of course...the back stairs to the rest of the house.

I have a standard size T hangar and a relatively large, low wing airplane (at least wingspan wise) so as much as I would like to store some extra cars in there, I can't fit any in with the plane there. I have a bunch of old stuff that I put in there when I thought the hangar was going to be an occasional hangout spot (couch, mini-fridge, RC helicopter, couple folding chairs, etc...) but in practice I really only use it as a hangar - in and out at the beginning and end of trips, no hanging around. So the stuff I keep there that I actually use are:
- Oxygen tanks for refilling the onboard O2
- 55 Gallon drum of TKS fluid on a dolly to refill the TKS tanks
- Oil, Camguard, basic tools
- Cleaning products and vacuums
- A few extra small parts (tire, inner tube, spare cupholder, etc...)
- Powered tow bar
- Box of old junk I used to use and/or keep in the plane, that I should probably sell
- Plane cover for when it is going to be on a ramp for an extended period of time (e.g., weeklong trip to the caribbean or something)
- A few work lights

That's about all I can recall off the top of my head.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Hangar pic.jpeg
    Hangar pic.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 477
Nice! guys.. I will have to take some pics of mine when I get the keys and I have my new plane parked in there in the coming days..

Tool box two portable generators,washing and polishing stuff. Table and chairs with fridge with cold beer,for hangar flying

The hangar is in my backyard so:
RV-10
17' Jon boat with a separate door for quick escapes to the lake
A friend's laser cutter
An enclosed, insulated shop with HVAC on top of which is all the stuff that would be in a normal basement or unused garage
A paint booth left over from the '10
A mosaic studio and kiln for my mate
Lot's of benches, tools, fridge and junk

I don't have one, but a place to park a fold out bed for the occasional drunken evening or honey from the bar would be most righteous.

Most hangars become sordid pits with cars, furniture, and junk that is not used but is too 'good' to throw away. And once in a while there is even an airplane inside. :rolleyes2:
Recently the county airport commission toured the hangars with the manager unlocking them - the result is they threw a fit; Boats, RV's, washing machines, piles of this and that. Stacks of soda pop, booze, towels, shelving, etc. from businesses. You name it, it was there. They issued a decree that any hangar that did not contain an airplane would have the contract revoked. I have yet to see much improvement.
They did make an effort to enter my hangar but the manager informed them there was an airplane inside and not much else, that he did not have the key because I own it not the county, and that they best not mess with "that miserable sob". (there is an upside to being an miserable sob :D )

I have lots of fun stuff in my hangar. '73 Porsche 914, lots of retired stereo equipment, tools and parts for the care and feeding of both the Comanche and the teener. Chairs and desk for preflight planning, scanner, coffee pot, microwave and a stocked beer fridge. Life is good!! :yes:

Attachments

• hangar.jpg
    hangar.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 118
  • departure.jpg
    departure.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 69
Two things on this, mostly just as a FYI for everyone...

1) Always check to see what is permissible by your airport to keep in the hangar. Most are very easy to work with, but there are a few out there that are strict.

2) This has recently become a hot button with the FAA as an outgrowth of grant assurances. They have made rumblings that hangars are intended to be for pure aviation use (especially if built with federal funding assistance), and that if they are being used for things other than aviation (i.e. boat, car, or RV storage), that a separate agreement be made with the lessee to recoup non-aviation related fees.

Many airports are making pushes with Rules & Regulations documents to try and clean this up, but Denny is correct. I see so many hangars that people turn into personal storage units rather than actually keeping flying aircraft in them. I'm not saying what is right or wrong, simply that "others" are starting to notice and that these things are indeed happening.

I have so much crap in my 73X55' that I rent a hangar to put my airplane in. I have everything from a small machine shop, car lift, 8 tool boxes, storage lots of storage, forklifts, scissor lifts, 5 welders, etc. Once the airplane doesn't fit its all downhill.

I have an non-electrified, unheated, uninsulated Port-a-Port T-hangar at Centennial (KAPA). These things are bare bones but they keep sun, bird poop, and hail off the plane so hooray I guess. I've been told repeatedly that there is no effing chance of getting electrical service in these things and I've given up asking.

I keep a red dragon propane heater/blower, an old tug that the previous owner threw in when I bought the structure (I refuse to use it - it is frightening), a push broom, a snow thrower that I didn't really need this winter, soon to be my lawnmower since I have a kid in the 'hood who does my grass now, an old blanket to throw over the windscreen to keep dust off it, a case of oil, a carpet square for checking the gear, various cleaning products, a 3 gallon jug of fresh water, and a 4' step ladder. No one wants to hang out in a hangar like this so I don't keep chairs and such in there.

I have a T-hangar and a couple of years ago the airport inspected and made everyone move out their non-aviation stuff. So now I have
table and chairs
water cooler and fridge
small bookcase for the parts and service manuals
radio
In the back I have a
rolling tool chest
hazmat locker with oil and lubricants
On the other side I have an old lawn tractor that I converted to tow my plane to the wash rack and a folding chair that I use to set my cowl on when it is off.

I also have a dog crate for when we take the dogs.

Mine is 60x40 and full of so much trash and junk that my airplane is almost a secondary occupant.

Other than parking your airplane in it ! :D

I just signed a lease on my very own hangar last night and I pick up the keys on Thursday !!! It is HUGE ! with folding electric doors and I can't even begin to tell you the square footage (I didn't ask) I was like yep it's big , I will take it! I needed it before I take delivery of my first 100% owned airplane in the next 3 or 4 days.. :goofy:

I just wanted to say CONGRATS.

Private hangar is awesome. :yes:

14X36 air conditioned sewing room with potty for the spouse, 46 Champ, 51 Tri-Pacer, welding gear, A&P Tools, freezers, fridge, table, chairs, work benches, sheet metal tools, etc, etc, etc

When the hangars were built at Copperhill, TN, I got early bids on an end one.

Lots of extra room by not having 1/2 of the "T" there.

Enough to fit our travel trailer in there off-season:

13559417325_aecf3cafd8_z.jpg

Sky Arrow has to be at just the right angle, but it does still fit!

I have a standard T-hangar with a 182 in it. I had originally intended to make a little hang out area in there, but have since decided against it. I did put a heavy duty surplus office desk in there that I got from my work. Figured the drawers would be a good place to file receipts and stuff, and keep manuals, and the desk is a good place to sit down and tinker. I have a fairly heavy duty steel bookcase, also surplus from work. I intend to get an air compressor and a rolling toolbox (probably cheapo stuff from Harbor freight). I think that's about all I want in there. I don't want to clutter it up so it's impossible to keep clean. Oh, I do keep my ATV in there as well.

Here's the piggy in her pigpen shortly after moving in. I have added a desk, toolbox and some other things since the picture was taken.

Attachments

• Hangar&cars.JPG
    Hangar&cars.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Mines a larger hangar too, I'll keep some other toys in there, bike, car, etc. I use it to change the oil on our daily drivers, I have a little out of the way area I keep all the x-mas stuff.

I have an non-electrified, unheated, uninsulated Port-a-Port T-hangar at Centennial (KAPA). These things are bare bones but they keep sun, bird poop, and hail off the plane so hooray I guess. I've been told repeatedly that there is no effing chance of getting electrical service in these things and I've given up asking.

Huh?

I got a killer deal on one in CA, still pay the measly land lease and I sublet it, paying for my current hangar.

As for electrical it's not a big deal at all, I could easily have it if I wanted, not sure why someone is telling you that you can't have power in it :dunno:

Last edited:
I guess I'm different ... I keep a plane in mine. I bought a shelve unit from Sam's that looks like the Sam's shelves (all metal with metal cage type shelves). I have a couple of plastic storage containers for airplane parts and oil.

The reason I don't load up on %#^& in the hangar is that we get rattlesnakes in July-Sept. and I try to keep their hiding spots reduced. I once had one in the door tracks that struck my boot when opening the door for a night flight. My tow bar is permanently bowed from beating that snake to death;)

I have lots of fun stuff in my hangar. '73 Porsche 914, lots of retired stereo equipment, tools and parts for the care and feeding of both the Comanche and the teener. Chairs and desk for preflight planning, scanner, coffee pot, microwave and a stocked beer fridge. Life is good!! :yes:

Need any parts for that 914? I have a bunch of stuff left over from when I sold mine. Fun car...

Let's see, in my hangar I have 2 benches, one set up for electronics with a scope and stuff, another rolling project table, a 100 gallon rolling fuel tank if I have to drain a tank for any reason, a microwave and coffee pot. A couple battery chargers, a pegboard for hanging up tools. A rack for oil, chemicals and polishing stuff. A laptop for manuals and using the inspection cam. A desk, a couple high-volume fans and a propane heater. A 30 gallon compressor.

Oh, and a table saw.

And a Comanche.

Last edited:
I have a 8x8 heated, air conditioned, and heavily insulated office in mine complete with drywall and laminate flooring. No idea why the hell I built it other then I could. It's nice for taking naps in after a long flight before driving home.

We need a "show off your hangar" thread.

Some hangars I've seen are beautiful. "Man caves".

If I ever get a hangar, it's gonna be very nicely done. Something I can be proud of.

I spend as much time at my hangar as I can get away with, always something going on. I have it set up with two post lift, welder, blast cabinet, even a poker room, (never used). I enjoy working on classic cars, I also own a RV 10 so I'm always making changes to it. We have even use it for a photo shoot as you can see in the last picture.:wink2:

I spend as much time at my hangar as I can get away with, always something going on. I have it set up with two post lift, welder, blast cabinet, even a poker room, (never used). I enjoy working on classic cars, I also own a RV 10 so I'm always making changes to it. We have even use it for a photo shoot as you can see in the last picture.:wink2:

Holy **** dude!! :hairraise:

I have a standard size T hangar and a relatively large, low wing airplane (at least wingspan wise) so as much as I would like to store some extra cars in there, I can't fit any in with the plane there. I have a bunch of old stuff that I put in there when I thought the hangar was going to be an occasional hangout spot (couch, mini-fridge, RC helicopter, couple folding chairs, etc...) but in practice I really only use it as a hangar - in and out at the beginning and end of trips, no hanging around. So the stuff I keep there that I actually use are:
- Oxygen tanks for refilling the onboard O2
- 55 Gallon drum of TKS fluid on a dolly to refill the TKS tanks
- Oil, Camguard, basic tools
- Cleaning products and vacuums
- A few extra small parts (tire, inner tube, spare cupholder, etc...)
- Powered tow bar
- Box of old junk I used to use and/or keep in the plane, that I should probably sell
- Plane cover for when it is going to be on a ramp for an extended period of time (e.g., weeklong trip to the caribbean or something)
- A few work lights

That's about all I can recall off the top of my head.
attachment.php

I love you're airplane very cool color scheme!

Tim! Double WOW! I love it. Are you at T67? We might be neighbors.

I'm at 52F
Guys this stuff is renters and friends I own only one plane like the rest of you. LOL ....and a classic or two is mine the rest is friends that come over and hang out.:yesnod:

Not as fancy as most, but still my man cave! Must have a beer fridge!
10351094_10203457883800275_6568247202331668688_n.jpg

I guess I'm different ... I keep a plane in mine. I bought a shelve unit from Sam's that looks like the Sam's shelves (all metal with metal cage type shelves). I have a couple of plastic storage containers for airplane parts and oil.

The reason I don't load up on %#^& in the hangar is that we get rattlesnakes in July-Sept. and I try to keep their hiding spots reduced. I once had one in the door tracks that struck my boot when opening the door for a night flight. My tow bar is permanently bowed from beating that snake to death;)

I think in your particular case, a hoe would be reasonable gear to be kept at the ready. My uncle was a pumper in the Permian Basin. A hoe was about the best thing for killing snakes.

I'm at 52F
Guys this stuff is renters and friends I own only one plane like the rest of you. LOL ....and a classic or two is mine the rest is friends that come over and hang out.:yesnod:
What year is that Mid-Year I spy above the Pontiac? I love the color, its about the same that's on the 64 Impala I drive.

You have a rabbit and a bat and a hat?

Yep, and I wish I was a little bit taller:lol:

Dad found it in '82 drove it in high school, upgraded to a convertible for college, sat at Grandpa's hanger for 30ish years, he put a trailer on it to haul airplane parts during that time. After putting in a little TLC and safety items such as front disk brakes I was handed the keys when I was 16:yes:

It's due for an engine over haul and front end rebuild this summer because its only been 30 years:goofy:

She drives like a boat but I love her! Sadly I didn't bring her (Christine...Yes from the movie, many interesting happenings with this car) to college:sad:

Attachments

• Impala.JPG
    Impala.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Back