How do you use an airport UNICOM frequency?

Its just a conversation with the FBO. Call them 15/20 min out or so, or whenever the freq comes in clearly. Usually when we can get the atis clearly, we can talk to them ok. They just want to know things like: N#, type, how far out, how many pax, how many overnights, transportation arrangements...etc.

If you are on frequency with atc be sure to let them know you are leaving for a minute or be sure to use the both function so you don't miss a call.

Since I am never in much of a rush, I wait until I advise ATC I have the airport in sight and get the "Radar service terminated" response.

Cheers

"" Henderson Unicom, N00000 is 15 minutes out, could you arrange a taxi for us? ""
Pretty much like that; just use your normal radio phraseology. The folks on the other end are also in the aviation industry, so it's not a foreign concept.

I'm not familiar with HND, but I do use a lot of UNICOMs at small airports/FBOs here in the Midwest. My experience has been that the operators are often not right at the radio to hear the entire transmission. So I would start with simple who you're contacting and who you are (unless your hearing them talk to others, then you know they're right there): "Henderson Unicom, N123XYZ." Wait for them to respond and then say your whole request. No sense spilling your guts and tying up the frequency if they're not gonna hear any/all of the transmission.

Do you have two comms? If so, then it's easy to still listen to approach and talk to UNICOM, so you won't miss any important transactions. If you only have one radio, wait 'till you're about 15 minutes out, and request a frequency change for a couple minutes. It's a common request, so ATC won't be confused with what you want.

Last edited:
Given how close it is to Las Vegas the response time for taxis will likely be just 5 or 10 minutes. I would wait until ATC turns you over to the local Unicom/Ctaf and ask then. You will need some time after you land to tie down and get ready to go so you don't want the cab sitting there for 15 minutes waiting on you.

Used to fly into Eagle Creek a lot and a call 15 miles out would insure a nice warm and toasty courtesy car waiting for me when I got there. Great folks at Eagle Creek.

They probably have more than one FBO. I presume you call out to the one you are going to use, no?

At an uncontrolled field, Unicom is CTAF, right? There is a frequency listed as ASRI at tower airports. Is that what you use instead of Unicom?

Hey everyone, thanks for the tips. LA Center terminated flight following with me about 50nm out because they lost radar contact on me.

I contacted UNICOM about 20nm out, requested a taxi, and that was that. Thanks all.

Since I am never in much of a rush, I wait until I advise ATC I have the airport in sight and get the "Radar service terminated" response.

Cheers

At HND you'll go to tower, not Unicom. So you still need a second radio for Unicom.

When we were at HND, the follow me truck guy helped us chock, chain, unload, and put bags in his van and asked as he came up to the airplane if we needed a cab. There were three parked at the cabstand anyway. They'll take your fuel order at the desk and if its summertime they'll fuel after it warms up the next day so expansion won't push fuel out of all the tanks onto their ramp, or they'll fuel just prior to your departure so they'll ask for a day and time.

Back