How do you shop for a Mooney?

The training can be problematic. I did my transition remotely because I couldn't find a training opportunity at home in a timely fashion.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for a Mooney. My wife liked them too. We were in the market for one... until we took an obligatory look at a Lance that an acquaintance's acquaintance was trying to sell. One ride, a firm nod from the wife, and a handshake and it was going to be ours.

I wanted the speed. The Lance with the LoPresti cowl had it. Same as a Mooney J. 160-165 kts true. That was my only criteria. My wife liked the 6 seats, no shoulders touching, and useful load to carry a piano. Same price range.

I still love Mooney's though.

You need to look at your mission profile. Mooney's are great for a couple of people, but once you start adding growing kids, you'll start running into weight and size issues.

I own and fly a $50K M20C. It's an amazing airplane. I'm on the high end of the C range in cost, but for that I've got a modern panel, all the speed mods, and fresh paint/interior. I'm as fast as most E's and faster than all F's. Don't pay the money or the performance cost of back seat room, unless it's gonna be used. I flew 200 hours last year and only about 5 of them had anyone in the back seat.

We'll talk more over on mooneyspace.

Curious, what are the numbers for your plane? (speed, fuel burn, useful load)

I have a C model and I usually see about 140-145KTAS on about 8GPH and I have about 1,000lbs useful load. There are a few speed mods that were on there when I bought it which helps it out. It's a very efficient plane and great for the traveling that I do.

150 kts TAS, 8 gph, 1015lbs useful.

Understand that my C has all the airframe speed mods.

Mine has none and I've been seeing an easy 140 kts on 8 gph. My useful load is somewhat less at 960 lbs. Can't imagine putting enough in the aircraft to surpass it.

Last edited:
Newer models have fold down rear seats which help, most definitely would have to remove the wheels. I think there was a thread over on Mooneyspace with pics of before and after of loading up a mooney with camping gear, etc

Interesting. I can't seem to find it, got a link?

Not that I can afford one of the newer Mooneys. How new is new?

A 75 F has removable/fold down rear seat backs. Even for the older planes there is a "fold down seat modification"

My lowly C-model Mooney has useful load of 969 lbs, of which 312 is full fuel. That will take me 5-1/2 hours, but I've yet to go longer than 4.4 hours on 41 gallons into the wind with multiple climbs and descents. Typically, I'm at 9 gph calculated on block time.

I've only hit gross when flying with three other guys--my wife's cousin, his college-age son and son's buddy, which limited me to just 34 gallons. Taking the wife on vacation for a week, we run out if room before weight.

Here's a recent shot, you figure TAS. Note that the ASI is in mph when figuring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
My 68 F model is fantastic. I kept my 172 because it's meant for other purposes.

I have a 600nm trip I do every other week, and the mooney has halfed the time I spend flying, with the same fuel used as the 172. My client loves it because he gets 2 extra hours out of me before I need to leave, and the airport is 5 minutes from his office.

My 68 has fold down back seats, that the backs are also removable. I have 1076 lbs usable, and can carry 64 gallons.

We'll see how the wife likes it compared to the 172 as we visit our daughter at university this weekend. Compresses a 6 hour drive into 1:45 flight.

Rod
1968 M20F
1969 172K

I still have a soft spot in my heart for a Mooney. My wife liked them too. We were in the market for one... until we took an obligatory look at a Lance that an acquaintance's acquaintance was trying to sell. One ride, a firm nod from the wife, and a handshake and it was going to be ours.

I wanted the speed. The Lance with the LoPresti cowl had it. Same as a Mooney J. 160-165 kts true. That was my only criteria. My wife liked the 6 seats, no shoulders touching, and useful load to carry a piano. Same price range.

I still love Mooney's though.

You need to look at your mission profile. Mooney's are great for a couple of people, but once you start adding growing kids, you'll start running into weight and size issues.

What's gross weight, fuel burn and full fuel endurance at 160ktas?

I just spent roughly 60 hours in my 68 C last month touring the country. My plane is absolutely bone stock as far as speed mods, only extra performance is the 2 blade Hartzell scimitar prop.

I generally see speeds around 140kts, 145 if I wanna burn more fuel. Over the course of our trip we burned 7.9gph on average. My back seat didn't fold down originally, but there's a simple modification that allows it to do so.

My plane has 967lbs usable, and so far I haven't ever had an issue with being overweight.

Don't know whether it's worth taking a look at but there's an absolute beauty 67 M20F for sale here in South Africa at a steal price. It's also in absolute great shape and with the current weak ZAR against the USD, price is around US$ 46k

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163128

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Dallas, I'm interested in how you did this.

Paul

There's a bracket on each side of the rear seat that bolts the seat back to the sides of the plane. I simply unbolted it from the plane, then slipped a wrench down inside the seat and unbolted it from the seat as well. I then made a couple steel brackets out of angle iron that bolt onto the plane where the seat used to bolt and the back of the seat rests against them. It pivots on the original lower mounts which act as a hinge. You do also have to remove the seat cushion to get it to fold all the way down, but that comes out without any tools.

There's an article linked somewhere on mooneyspace about doing a very similar mod. Mine is only slightly different. Got it signed off as a minor modification, and since nothing on the plane was actually changed I can easily put it back if someone really wants to make a stink about it.

Purchased my 67 C a little over three years ago. Great IFR platform and has been very easy to maintain and extremely reliable. Easy 142 Kts and 1000 pound usable. Was not really looking to buy a Mooney, it more or less fell in lap. My buddy owned it and I would occasionally fly with him and help him during annual. Then he decided he wanted a twin and the Mooney was going up for sale. I thought about it for a couple of days and decided the Mooney would more than meet my needs. Never regretted that decision and been averaging over 100 hours per year while having a blast.
28be50bf31f6e0661303220b73c02fa1.jpg

Purchased my 67 C a little over three years ago.

Nice looking plane except for the handheld in the panel mount gizmo thingie. Sorry, never a big fan of those. Personal taste and al that. M20F's are nice birds. Gotta M20C myself.

ZuCiUhQVvgOnfzQVew939vBDLvEfvy6mLfVOlW2VxhQ52C1LjMaUGE2AVDX6yqKPsmSnlviqk2GJZLfa45ZGWvx2EQn0Bdmw9LNMrMkRaDHDun4fqQ9-XWSDOWGe92AioFUsvTRizoA6qcSUoCxdqVUbNKceHMs7Ja74DPv9rD_IMvhr1xQj9xKi1BaLJjqe8EHm1du_uAurh5eWfffM4kneeVnyeADTIG2prtHLRVuMM391RzAlwAXupDLXP6NnKps5KshGmUeBrljP3GColh4N4aer8udWQtbJ_v2tmtE7mgz-G6-5_6QK97Cc9JMKTFg44nCF3hjZj1-XVXbJOZu2mTEitZmZAaWEFoZZZBj_Y2sb-VkiwXP2rG6xApTLCqZGaSYr_oL1FKEC_SxPo4DKrvrorTJT5cDV_c5HdscNW6l1S3plE1h16lh0dlzrR4RPtlrFXJenmcBZ2xkzoADk-4lva4e9r5gZcCKSgzLRrL0KApr41ySqKVwDjUT9hLURsWqPKPPpNPCYMVXE3J1ofIAE8AauysF258hHtc0=w646-h429-no

Nice looking plane except for the handheld in the panel mount gizmo thingie. Sorry, never a big fan of those. Personal taste and al that. M20F's are nice birds. Gotta M20C myself.

ZuCiUhQVvgOnfzQVew939vBDLvEfvy6mLfVOlW2VxhQ52C1LjMaUGE2AVDX6yqKPsmSnlviqk2GJZLfa45ZGWvx2EQn0Bdmw9LNMrMkRaDHDun4fqQ9-XWSDOWGe92AioFUsvTRizoA6qcSUoCxdqVUbNKceHMs7Ja74DPv9rD_IMvhr1xQj9xKi1BaLJjqe8EHm1du_uAurh5eWfffM4kneeVnyeADTIG2prtHLRVuMM391RzAlwAXupDLXP6NnKps5KshGmUeBrljP3GColh4N4aer8udWQtbJ_v2tmtE7mgz-G6-5_6QK97Cc9JMKTFg44nCF3hjZj1-XVXbJOZu2mTEitZmZAaWEFoZZZBj_Y2sb-VkiwXP2rG6xApTLCqZGaSYr_oL1FKEC_SxPo4DKrvrorTJT5cDV_c5HdscNW6l1S3plE1h16lh0dlzrR4RPtlrFXJenmcBZ2xkzoADk-4lva4e9r5gZcCKSgzLRrL0KApr41ySqKVwDjUT9hLURsWqPKPPpNPCYMVXE3J1ofIAE8AauysF258hHtc0=w646-h429-no

Good looking photo. Did someone make a J-Style cowl for the Ranger?

While we're posting hanger pictures of Red/White M20C's, here's mine.

6XM%2525201.jpg

Good looking photo. Did someone make a J-Style cowl for the Ranger?

There's a guy working on it, and I think LAZAR's got something. As in most things, I think its about an AMU/knot. Problem with the mods is you need to paint the airplane if you put them on, especially the cowl. I like my airplane's paint.

Here are some pics of my 1970 M20E. I'll usually get around 150kts on 9-10gph.
08349dc321496e353d1f27096b15b5ea.jpg
eb78c34f02ce76f3b5e14d8488c43372.jpg

I bought it a little over a year ago, if you've got any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here are some pics of my 1970 M20E. I'll usually get around 150kts on 9-10gph.
08349dc321496e353d1f27096b15b5ea.jpg
eb78c34f02ce76f3b5e14d8488c43372.jpg

I bought it a little over a year ago, if you've got any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 2 questions:

1) is it awesome?

2) do u need to change your PoA name to your new tail #? :)

I have 2 questions:

1) is it awesome?

2) do u need to change your PoA name to your new tail #? :)

Yes!

I did, I think!

Knowing that you have your plane sitting there ready to go is great. Mooney's aren't for everyone, but I find mine to be very comfortable.

Back