How do you repair or salvage a damaged DVD?

flav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
David
I know there's probably no way of repairing my DVD but I thought I would ask the experts.
I have Sporty's Instrument course (2003) volume 3 "Instrument Approaches" has a glitch
that makes it stop/skip about an hour into the video.

I've contacted Sporty's but they have a newer version out that does not match up with the older one.

Is there any way of repairing or recovering the damaged 4 mininutes of data on this DVD?

Gray area alert.

You should have moderate success popping it into a computer and either converting the video and saving it your hard drive with a program like handbrake, or making a copy of the disc itself and burning a new copy with a program like imgburn. This supposes your computer has a DVD drive and/or burner. The DVD may have encryption that might prevent some programs from working while other programs may accidentally decrypt it on the fly.

They used to make DVD repair kits you could buy at Radio Shack, Wally World, and the like. Cannot vouch for them, but it may be worth a try.

Doug

I've polished the surface in a lathe before as well as using the hand driven polishers. I have had success with placing them in the freezer , good and cold , wipe off the condensation and pop it in and get the data.

Last edited:
They're available on the internet for download, Not going to comment on how "legal" it is, but they're out there. I buy nothing in a physical medium any more for this very reason.

I bought these DVD's with the idea that after getting my Instrument Rating I could continue to
use the DVD as a refresher in the future.
Little did I realize at the time that the shelf life of a DVD is about the same as an old VHS tape.
The biggest joke with any type of media is that as technology advances the old media becomes
obsolete unless you continue transfer that media to the latest format.

They used to make DVD repair kits you could buy at Radio Shack, Wally World, and the like. Cannot vouch for them, but it may be worth a try.

Doug

:yeahthat:
I bought one from Radio Shack a few years ago. It was called Skip Fixer (i think). It worked well on a few CDs/DVDs of mine. You wipe on a white paste, let it dry, then buff it to a shine.

After awhile, I had to reapply it because the skipping returned.

Back