How do you guys do that?

jshawley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Shawley
So I know how to hyperlink something, y'know--see an interesting article or picture, then include it in my email to someone or whatever. But it's the whole address: http://blah, blah, blah,...yadda,yadda,yadda.com/&c,&c,&c. You know, taking one or two lines to get it all in.

Then I see some of youse guys saying, "go here for this really cool new mousetrap!"

How do you do that, condense the whole address into one little word or something?

Also, I'm on Earthlink dial-up at my commue-to-work apartment, but my wife is on Alltel DSL at home. I'm cheap, and when I retire, I don't want to pay for both, just so's I can keep my Earthlink email address (I don't want to have to try to remember to tell everyone in the entire universe my address has changed), and if E-link will start providing DSL in Bolivar in the next two months (that's when I will be retired!!!!:yes: :yes: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :D :D :hairraise: ) I would prefer to remain with them. However, I don't want to pay some sort of carrier fee to Alltel, which I heard they used to (don't know if they still do) charge. How does that all work? Did some sort of regulation go through that allows/prevents fees by the local phone company? I just ain't into the 21st century, I guess. BTW, my vcr clock flashes 12:00;)

Jim

In the edit window do you see that little icon with a globe and 'oval' at the bottom left of it?

That is the link tools. You highlight a word, hit that icon and then a window will open that you can enter the URL into. Viola! A hyperlink

Also, I'm on Earthlink dial-up at my commue-to-work apartment, but my wife is on Alltel DSL at home. I'm cheap, and when I retire, I don't want to pay for both

I have the solution for that, apparently we can all now get free internet access from our homes!
Click on here and apply for a free installation kit:
http://www.google.com/tisp/

Also, I'm on Earthlink dial-up at my commue-to-work apartment, but my wife is on Alltel DSL at home. I'm cheap, and when I retire, I don't want to pay for both, just so's I can keep my Earthlink email address (I don't want to have to try to remember to tell everyone in the entire universe my address has changed), and if E-link will start providing DSL in Bolivar in the next two months (that's when I will be retired!!!!:yes: :yes: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :D :D :hairraise: ) I would prefer to remain with them. However, I don't want to pay some sort of carrier fee to Alltel, which I heard they used to (don't know if they still do) charge. How does that all work? Did some sort of regulation go through that allows/prevents fees by the local phone company? I just ain't into the 21st century, I guess. BTW, my vcr clock flashes 12:00;)

Jim
You'll have to have some sort of Earthlink account to keep your Earthlink email address. You can change to the cheapest Earthlink plan and still get your email over any service....but I think the cheapest Earthlink plan is still twenty-something bucks a month.

Alltel won't charge you fro Earthlink DSL...if it is Earthlink giving you the DSl. Any fees will be in your Earthlink bill. If you mean getting DSL from Alltel and using your Earthlink account, that's what I'm talking about and in that case you do have to pay both. I think you're saying Earthlink has a "our customers coming in on somebody's else's DSL service" account like AOL does. They're very happy to get some money rather than none, so they give you access to your email and whatever when you come in over the outside Internet.

If you do have to change to Alltel DSL, do yourself a favor and get a Gmail or Yahoo mail account or one in your own domain name, and tell everybody in your address book where to find you. It can't be the "whole world." In that case you have that email address no matter where you are and how you connect.

Scott already told you how to do the hyperlink. I have a better solution for e-mail addresses than TiSP, however. :) Get a Pilots of America email address! Yes, you'll have to tell people you're changing addresses, but at least it'll be @pilotsofamerica.com!

Last edited:
Back