How do you find "good" safety pilots

Highlight said text from messasge board.
Simultaneously press the CTRL and C keys
Come to this thread and put your cursor in the reply box
Simultaneously press the CTRL and V keys
Click post reply.

If using an iWhatsit just throw it out the window, and don't post about stuff people are unable to access.

Way too much text to Copy/paste.... So I "printed" to PDF and shared the files here

Attachments

• AOPA Forums - Safety Pilot tips (Part 1).pdf
    216 KB · Views: 18
  • AOPA Forums - Safety Pilot tips (Part 2).pdf
    188 KB · Views: 8
that works mo betta

Edit: and why am I not surprised at who wants to press charges. I honestly think he's losing it mentally.

Last edited:
Some of the info in the thread was good stuff....

But in typical AOPA Red Board fashion, the conversation took on a strange twist that took on a life of its own.

Way too much text to Copy/paste.... So I "printed" to PDF and shared the files here

You could have just said “Ron is over there, being Ron.” LOL.

That would have covered it. :)

Hey @steingar I noticed a comment by you over there that triggered my latest beatings from both another CFI and a DPE.

They both highly recommend breaking the “my airplane” habit. Here’s why... it often turns into “I’ve got the airplane.” as slang and familiarity with the other pilot creep in.

Now you have a dilemma. You’re under the hood and the other guy said “I’ve got the airplane”. Is he talking about taking the controls or is he telling you he sees traffic outside and you missed hearing a traffic call from ATC. You’re under the hood. Do you let go? Or key the mic and say “traffic in sight, N12345”?

Anyway you see the minor ambiguity it can cause.

Our DPEs around here (especially for CFI candidates) are pushing to say “I have the controls” during the three way handoff. Not the “airplane”.

Additionally that’s one thing I’ll always brief with a Safety Pilot. Who’s answering traffic calls from ATC. Most sense is to have the guy or gal who’s looking out the window do that, but some don’t want to, so coordinate ahead of time if you’re going to have to do the “play telephone” thing in the cockpit with traffic calls...

Just thought I’d pass the “airplane” thing along. More than one of our DPEs here has that pet peeve right now and they’ll bark about it. Perhaps rightly so.

It’s surprising how difficult it is to stop saying “airplane” after 20 years of doing it. :)

One time I was acting as safety pilot the IFR pilot got fatigued and just lost it on his last approach. I very gently said "my airplane", righted the ship and told him to remove his view limiting device. It wasn't a deal. Every time I've gone into this sort of thing the verbal understanding was if I saw anything amiss it was my airplane. I wouldn't serve in this capacity were it otherwise.

Back