How Do You Feel About Night XCs

N521MA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoy
Wanted to open the floor on general opinion of flying night VFR. Lets say conditions are CAVU or close to it. Thought it would be beneficial for all the new pilots to hear what experts have to say on this topic :)

Here are some of the questions that came to my mind to write about.....

Do you feel comfortable flying at night?
What is different about per-flight, if anything?
How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task.
Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR?
Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night?
Your personal preference on fuel reserves?
Do you find yourself being more engaged with your checklist flying at night?
How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher?
Do you prefer company flying at night?
If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night?
Do you have a personal trick to find the airport?

Any other thoughts, concerns, techniques you would like to share?

Wanted to open the floor on general opinion of flying night VFR. Lets say conditions are CAVU or close to it. Thought it would be beneficial for all the new pilots to hear what experts have to say on this topic :)

?

Do you feel comfortable flying at night? yes
What is different about per-flight, if anything? flashlight
How do you prepare for pitch black engine out situation knowing.
that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task. Luck
Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR? Both
Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night? Depends
Your personal preference on fuel reserves? Topped off
Do you find yourself being more engaged with your checklist flying at night? Treat both the same
How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher? If needed
Do you prefer company flying at night? Yup
If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night. Depends
Do you have a personal trick to find the airport? Rotating beacon

Any other thoughts, concerns, techniques you would like to share

Pretty much what Ben said, except I carry an O2 bottle in the plane so I've got that available for nights above 5000.

Pretty much what Ben said, except I carry an O2 bottle in the plane so I've got that available for nights above 5000.

Any night time flying stories to learn from?

Do you feel comfortable flying at night? yes - but I prefer to be instrument current

What is different about per-flight, if anything? nothing, other than needing to use the flashlight

How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task. insert joke about in an engine-out, turn on the landing light. If you don't like what you see, turn off the landing light.

Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR? I don't have GPS, so I use other means

Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night? No different than a day flight

Your personal preference on fuel reserves? No different day/night, I like at least 1 hr

Do you find yourself being more engaged with your checklist flying at night? No

How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher? My cherokee 140 wouldn't climb very high anyway, so O2 was not a particular concern

Do you prefer company flying at night? No different than during the day

If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night? No different

Do you have a personal trick to find the airport? No.

In short, for me a night flight isn't much different than a day flight, but I do have to pay more attention to clouds, but flying at night is great.

I generally fly higher at night. So I have more luck. aka greater chance of being within gliding distance of a lit airport. I don't obsess or worry about engine failure though. It could happen but its statistically insignificant.

I don't have oxygen but I do have a pulse ox. Try to fly around 7-8k feet where my oxygen level has not dropped much.

I've logged only about 10 hours of night in a C150 as PIC. The main thing is to have the flashlight AND know how to turn down screen brightness on the GPS and any other illumination that is adjustable.

Flying at night is magical.

Last edited:
The only thing I would add to what Ben said is this:
How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task.
I rely on a little more than just luck.

As part of the flight planning, I take a good look at the route and terrain I will be overflying at night so I know what to expect. If I have a problem like losing an engine in a single, at least I have a better idea of what I am getting into. Most important thing is to maintain control of the aircaft on the way down. If you aren't over the open country of Texas or much of the midwest, the next best thing is to put it down in a forest. Many forced landings are very survivable IF you maintain control of the airplane. Put the landing light on as you approach the ground and try to point the nose between the trees. Only real time I get concerned is flying over mountains in the dark in a single. I won't rule it out, but I sure try to minimize my exposure and use a twin whenever possible.

Other night concerns....night departures or arrivals flying over water - Treat them like instrument conditions. I personally would not recommend it if you have not had instrument training.

Do you feel comfortable flying at night? Yes
What is different about per-flight, if anything? Nope
How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task. Not really. Situational
Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR? No
Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night? No
Your personal preference on fuel reserves? Same
How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher? If I need to, yes.
Do you prefer company flying at night? Sure.
If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night? Same
Do you have a personal trick to find the airport? Find the beacon

Any other thoughts, concerns, techniques you would like to share Nope
not really. I find that your options become less friendly at night, so it is ultimately a risk analysis, just like everything else.

I tend to treat night flights as closer to instruments than to visual. Depending on where you are, it can feel a great deal like an instrument flight. My favorite trick to find an airport at night is to shoot an instrument approach to it. That gives you obstacle clearance and (depending on the approach) lines you up with the runway. Very helpful.

It's preferable to fly into an airport during the daytime if you can prior to attempting a night landing, simply because it familiarizes you with the terrain. Of course, I've done first landings at night into a number of airports, but it's just an extra risk factor and something to consider. Keep in mind that often you won't be able to see IMC until you're in it at night.

Otherwise, I don't treat things much differently. I keep O2 with me usually, but I keep O2 with me anyway. I'll still pick the altitudes that will be best for the trip, factoring in winds, obstacle clearances, etc. I about always get flight following if I'm not on an instrument flight plan, but I about always do anyway. So again, not much different.

Do you feel comfortable flying at night? Mostly
What is different about per-flight, if anything? It's dark out
How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task. To be honest, I try not thinking macabre thoughts
Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR? Both & X-chk each other
Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night? Never thought about it, but DO (or at least have) done FF each time
Your personal preference on fuel reserves? Same as daylight => 1 hr
How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher? Since I live at 5700', that would put me underground. I am comfortable around 11,000 +/-
Do you prefer company flying at night? ATC
If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night? Depends on the mission (have no problem hand flying)
Do you have a personal trick to find the airport? Maps/VOR (& GPS). OK, finding the runway? a good ILS does wonders (esp. backed up with a VASI)

Last edited:

Do you feel comfortable flying at night? Prefer it
What is different about per-flight, if anything? No
How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task. Turn on the landing light, if you don't like it turn it off
Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR? Roads stand out at a greater distance, VFR is easy
Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night? Nope
Your personal preference on fuel reserves? Enough to not run out
Do you find yourself being more engaged with your checklist flying at night? Nope
How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher? Not really
Do you prefer company flying at night? No more than daytime
If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night? Nope
Do you have a personal trick to find the airport? It lights up, and is often easier to find

Have fun, pre dawn launches for longer trips are my norm.

I also did my last BFR in MVFR night conditions, a good learning experience that ratcheted up the stress a little

Yup, airplane doesn't know the difference.

I leave the light on in the hangar, and use a flashlight if I'm away.

You head for the dark space right next to a lighted area. At the last minute you turn on the landing light to see what you're landing in. If you don't like what you see, turn the light back off.

A little more reliant on instruments, but there are plenty of landmarks. Cities big and small are lit.

Nope. Easier to see airplanes at night, they're the only lit things in the sky.

Same as daytime, an hour.

No, I don't look at checklists once I'm airborne.

How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher?

I try to avoid flying that high at night to to deficits in visual acuity.

I always prefer company.

Use the radio to turn on runway lights. You can do that enroute to get a position check.

Never fly at night over a large body of water or an unpopulated area.

Because of our neighborhood out here I always wait to do night flight with students till we've finished the hood work as it is over a large unpopulated area with the airports all 40-60 nm apart and blackness between. To a man they have all said something akin to " sheesh this like flying on instruments" Yup.

Never had O2 available and we fly at 7500 but I'd like to try it sometime to see if I SEE a difference :)

I'll second the comments made thus far and add remember to not make a long straight in final because of the black hole effect unless you are doing an instrument approach

Do you feel comfortable flying at night? Sure
What is different about per-flight, if anything? Nope.
How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task. As a rule I prefer IFMR (I Follow Major Roads) knowing there's a place I can set down either on the highway or close by.
Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR? Both
Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night? Same as what I "must have" during the day.
Your personal preference on fuel reserves? Same as during the day, full tanks.
Do you find yourself being more engaged with your checklist flying at night? Same as during the day.
How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher? Doesn't matter. I have O2 tank and my ground is 5500, so I'm always flying higher.
Do you prefer company flying at night? always prefer company. Long XCs are boring but that's my personal opinion. Lots of people here prefer solo XC.
If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night? Doesn't matter
Do you have a personal trick to find the airport? Yup. Beacon, GPS, roads, knowledge of the area, etc.

Last edited:
Any night time flying stories to learn from?

Night flights are waaaay fun. And you're so right about the feeling being even more "magic carpet" than normal. Especially in the DA20 with the wrap around canopy.

If you think this first flight was fun, wait for the night XC and it gets even more fun! You get to learn how to tune and follow radio navigation, plus up the ante on pilotage and dead reckoning by picking out night-recognizable landmarks.

On my night XC between KDTO and KGVT (Greenville-Majors), it was a dead calm night, cool temps, and glass smooth. Our path permitted use of several airports and their beacons as some the landmarks.

We had just overflown McKinney (KTKI) and was over Lake Lavon and I was looking for KGVT's beacon. To the right of our path I noticed what I thought was a beacon....but...(confused) the colors were wrong....

[WHITE] ---- [WHITE] ---- [RED] ---- [pause] ---- [WHITE] ---- [WHITE] ---- [RED] ---- [pause]

Red? What the....? I remember the color sequences from my written exam.. but white-white-red??

I point this out to Instructor Dan, who spots it and we both watch it for three sequences, trying to figure it out. In the mean time, we get about 15 miles from it and it's at our 2:00

About the time he says, "I don't know, but we can look it up when we get..." FWOOM!!! A large fireball erupts and reaches about 250-300 feet before it fades.

"MY AIRPLANE!" yells Instructor Dan and starts a steep turn to the left away from the site.

We were already on with Fort Worth Center under flight following, so he starts excitedly asking the controller if he knows of any NOTAMS or other info that might explain this, and reports our positionand asks if we're under terrorist attack or something. The controller says he isn't aware of thing going on, but reminds us that we're 12-15 miles north of Caddo Mills airport (7F3) and that is where Armadillo Aerospace is and that they build rocket motors.

What we witnessed was one of their more spectacular failures.

About that time, the adrenaline surge calms down and Dan returns the airplane back to me and says okay to proceed to Greenville. After I establish back on course, we see some small fireworks launch from the same area as the explosion.

Proceeded to KGVT, did 5 landings, and came on back uneventfully (but did get my first clearance into DFW's Class Bravo since the controller wanted us at a higher altitude).

The return was really neat since we could see the Dallas Skyline and KDFW from the higher altitude.

A very memorable flight for the logbook.

Almost as priceless was my DPE's expression as he reviewed my logbook and saw the word EXPLOSION! In the comments column.

Night flights are waaaay fun. ......Almost as priceless was my DPE's expression as he reviewed my logbook and saw the word EXPLOSION! In the comments column.

You sir, have a one of a kind log book entry...:yes::yes::)

Do you feel comfortable flying at night? Sure
What is different about per-flight, if anything? More Careful
How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task. Situational awarness.
Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR? Mostly VOR
Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night? No
Your personal preference on fuel reserves? I usually have 5 hours of fuel and rarely fly over 2 hours at a time.
Do you find yourself being more engaged with your checklist flying at night? Yes, do checklist under well lighted conditions.
How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher? No, I usually fly at 6500'
Do you prefer company flying at night? Either way.
If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night? No
Do you have a personal trick to find the airport? Look for a dark spot away from the city.

I personally like flying at night because it is less crowded and smoother. Also, I fly mostly class E and non towered airports. If it is a long cross country however, I will file IFR.

I would recommend taking another "night current pilot or CFI" along until you are confident you can make the flight safely.

If I was going to unfamiliar airports, I would file IFR.

Terry

To the OP................

Flyboy....... The guys/gals who chimed in on being current on instrument scan /hood practice are giving GREAT advice.... You get away from civilization and lights on the ground and you will get real screwed up, REAL fast....... People have died going VFR without a visable horizon..:yes::sad::sad:

To the OP................

Flyboy....... The guys/gals who chimed in on being current on instrument scan /hood practice are giving GREAT advice.... You get away from civilization and lights on the ground and you will get real screwed up, REAL fast....... People have died going VFR without a visable horizon..:yes::sad::sad:

Yup, black hole effect. Something you won't encounter all that often in the east, but frequently out west.

Yup, black hole effect. Something you won't encounter all that often in the east, but frequently out west.

Haven't encountered black hole yet, although not IR rated, I always prefer to fly instruments day or night. Just gives me a better level of confidence. My CFI tells me VFR students are usually complete opposite and he needs to push them during hood training. For some reason I am complete opposite; CFI actually let me try a 00 take off under the hood! That was a nerve racking experience, but somehow I was still dead center on rwy :)

Wanted to open the floor on general opinion of flying night BFR. Lets say conditions are CAVU or close to it. Thought it would be beneficial for all the new pilots to hear what experts have to say on this topic :)

Do you feel comfortable flying at night? > Yes

What is different about per-flight, if anything? Nothing except verifying all lighting (internal and external) is working

How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task. >I'll let ya know if the time comes! I would try for a highway or lighted road.

Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR? > Visual or GPS depending on night time conditions.

Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night? > No more then flying in daylight

Your personal preference on fuel reserves? > I typically fly w/ over 2 hours of reserves

Do you find yourself being more engaged with your checklist flying at night? > No

How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher? > I don't usually need to go that high unless I am going IFR. And IFR at night is very rare for me.

Do you prefer company flying at night? > No difference

If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night? > I tend to use the A/P most of the time. It does a better job then I

Do you have a personal trick to find the airport? > GPS

One trick I will use is if I am going into an unfamiliar airport at night (VFR) is I will load and activate Vectors to final for the runway I am using. This provides a glideslope to track inbound. I also know that if I can't get in I can go missed and this will provide a safe solution until I determine my next course of action.

Last edited:
Pretty much agree with Ben. A lot of my xc flying is over the Everglades. That is ENTIRELY featureless and dark. My first night xc brought home to me how, at least in my area, you had better be totally comfortable flying on instruments and have an IFR pilot's trust in them even if not rated.

That said, I love to fly at night.

Re finding airports in general, I try to stay above 2500 feet if the airspace permits until I have a visual on the field. Too many times, I have hunted for a field down at 1000 feet and pretty much drove right past it.

Last edited:
Flying over the Everglades made me sweat during the daytime. NO WHERE to put down in the event of an emergency, and I wouldn't expect a quick rescue in that muck. About halfway through I started wondering why I didn't go around it.

Flying over the Everglades made me sweat during the daytime. NO WHERE to put down in the event of an emergency, and I wouldn't expect a quick rescue in that muck. About halfway through I started wondering why I didn't go around it.

I carry a 406 plb. Also, the Everglades are not especially deep so likely you could sit on top of your airplane and await help.

I had similar thoughts over the okefenoki (or how ever the hell you spell it) swamp in GA. However it was such a clear night that the moonlight was just enough to see the small dirt roads

I fly high, I try to avoid combining night and IMC, almost always use flight following anyway, ain't aimed modestly heightened awareness of nearby airfields and major roads. I always carry too much fuel.

About the remote areas (like where Jeanie is)- when I fly there, if there is not lots of moonlight, I fly the IAP. There be hills in that there darkness! One such hill ate a B1 bomber once...

If you have to make a forced landing at night, turn the landing light on. If you don't like what you see, turn it off.

Seriously though, night flying is the best. I did most of my IFR training at night. Pattern work with the instrument lights and landing light turned off is a blast too.

Last edited:
I fly out of Hays, Kansas. I know 1st hand about the "Black Hole" effect.

Night with a VFR and full moon is great. Night VFR and no moon out here is altogether different. Especially if you fly "on top." In that case, it is automatically IFR.

Just plan your trip, file a flight plan, and take someone along for help until you are comfortable to fly by yourself.

Enjoy the SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH flight.

Terry

Story Time. :D

I was returning from SnF at night in a TL Sting 2000 "ultra light". ;) life was good until I hit a little turbulence and engine coolant temps started to rise. I could see lightening up ahead so I knew I could not make it home, but the rising temps really spooked me. I hit the "Nearest" button on the GPS and picked out a rotating beacon 20 miles away. I headed for it and pulled the throttle back to lower temps, no joy. Long story short I had flown into a warm front. :redface:

When flying CC at night noises get more noticeable, and a simple change in OATs can spook you into thinking the worst. Well, it did me anyway. ;)

When all else fails, including common sense, fly the airplane.

I still love flying at night, and before sun rise in the morning. Nothing better than watching the sun come up. That means I made it one more day. :cheers:

Live life to the fullest, you cannot get out of it alive anyway. :dunno:

Last edited:
Yeah, flying over water or inhospitable terrain, even in daytime, and the gauges get all screwy.

I convinced myself the oil pressure was getting low in a 182 over Pt. Reyes. It was "in the green," but I somehow convinced myself that it was falling. No airports for over 20 miles, and mountains in the way. Terrain is rolling hills with occasional rocks and trees -- and a few open fields without too much topography (but a lot of those are pastures!) that I kept a really close eye on. I marked the position with a sticky-note, and figured out it was rock steady. Then continued on to my destination with no problems.

Because I control the schedule when flying myself, I depart before dark and climb to cruise altitude while I can still see what's down there. Once established with everything stable, I feel like a big part of the risk is eliminated. Whether that's true or not is open for debate, but I've been doing it that way for 50-odd years and am not likely to change.

What is different about per-flight, if anything? nothing
How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task. Depends on where I'm flying. If I'm in the midwest and I know that the black hole below me is a corn or soybean field, I'll land in the black hole. If I'm over the Texas hill country with lots of trees and hills I'll land on a lit road and take my chances with powerlines.
Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR? Well, I usually follow along, but my normal trips I know all the cities I pass. I follow the MLOD though.
Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night? I usually file
Your personal preference on fuel reserves? My plane will go further than I will
Do you find yourself being more engaged with your checklist flying at night? Not really
How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher? I've gotten a pulseox and supplemental O2, although I'm not as good about using the O2 as I should be.
Do you prefer company flying at night? I prefer company at the airport at night, that place freaks me out. I ALWAYS prefer company if it's a cute girl.
If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night? It's hard to take naps without it. ;)
Do you have a personal trick to find the airport? My home airport has what is essentially a prison right to the south of it. The whole facility is lit up like a football stadium - It's about 3 miles from the city so it's easy to spot the island of lights in the middle of nowhere. On really clear nights I've spotted it from 50 miles before.

Not a fan of most night flying. Flying little helicopters at night always seemed a little less fun.

What is different about per-flight, if anything? flashlight-headband
How do you prepare yourself for pitch black engine out situation knowing that picking a landing spot that is actually suitable for emergency scenario would not be an easy task. check landing lights
Navigation - do you fly strictly by GPS and/or VOR? people still use VOR?
Does flight following become a "must have" when flying at night? no, but I use flight following practically always anyway
Your personal preference on fuel reserves? one hour
Do you find yourself being more engaged with your checklist flying at night? no
How do you handle altitude above 5000 without oxygen system? Do you climb higher? not any differently / sure
Do you prefer company flying at night? I prefer company flying pretty much always
If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night? same
Do you have a personal trick to find the airport? look for the rotating beacon... not sure if it counts as a "trick" though :)

Any other thoughts, concerns, techniques you would like to share? I love the pretty lights. Night flying is less stressful in the sense that you can see other planes so much easier.

Yup.

Depends if it was dark before I left. But yeah, well... It's dark. Use a flashlight, and be extra vigilant.

Fly an airplane I'm reasonably confident in, preferably one with good landing lights!

Nothing different than daytime - I usually navigate primarily by GPS, and tune some VOR's for additional reference.

Can ATC save your bacon? No. I also think it's generally easier to see airplanes at night, and there are fewer of them in the sky, so the traffic advisory portion of flight following doesn't add much value. That said, I usually am either on flight following or an IFR flight plan at night.

An hour, minimum, regardless of flight conditions. IE, I go with an hour minimum even in day VFR conditions.

Nope. Why should it be different at night?

Higher than 5000? Yes. Despite the FAA's warnings, I haven't gone blind yet.

I prefer company no matter when I'm flying... But no more so at night.

If equipped, do you use your autopilot more during day or night?

I don't think I have a preference one way or the other.

Look for the beacon. ;)

Seriously, though, the irony is that airports are often the darkest spot in the area at night, and they're tough to see without being lined up with a runway. I like to give the lights 7 clicks at night, and often if there are REIL's or other strobes they'll come on at the brightest setting. The strobes are often the first thing I can see, if I'm in the right position. Other than that, it's check the sectional, figure out where it should be relative to the city lights, look there for several seconds (like 10, in case it's a slow beacon with one light out, that seems to happen way more often than it should). Usually, you'll see it.

Back