How do we log Simulated Instrument time with safety pilot?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I'm getting ready to start my instrument training tomorrow morning with my instructor, but this morning I went up with a pilot friend and had him be my safety pilot for an hour. We are both new to this and wondering how we should log this time.

Can he log PIC for the time I was under the hood?

Anyone have an image of how this should be logged?

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59407&highlight=logging+PIC+flow+chart

My take on it: you log PIC as sole manipulator or controls. If your friend is legal to pilot the plane being used (appropriate high performance or complex sign-offs, if needed), he may log PIC if you and he agree that he will be LEGAL PIC for the flight (he is, after all, a required crew member). He would only log the time that you are under the hood (and you would record that time as simulated instrument). I recommend writing his legal name and certificate number in your logbook.

Wells
(not a CFI)

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59407&highlight=logging+PIC+flow+chart

My take on it: you log PIC as sole manipulator or controls. If your friend is legal to pilot the plane being used (appropriate high performance or complex sign-offs, if needed), he may log PIC if you and he agree that he will be LEGAL PIC for the flight (he is, after all, a required crew member). He would only log the time that you are under the hood (and you would record that time as simulated instrument). I recommend writing his legal name and certificate number in your logbook.

Wells
(not a CFI)

Would I be logging the entire flight as PIC and him only the duration of the Simulated Instrument? He is legal, qualified etc in the same aircraft.

Keep in mind, who logs what takes a fair amount of pre planning and there are currency and insurance issues to consider. It isn't as simple as intuition would lead you to believe.

Keep in mind, who logs what takes a fair amount of pre planning and there are currency and insurance issues to consider. It isn't as simple as intuition would lead you to believe.

I am a little confused with what you said. If we are both part of the same flying club and rated in the same planes and both legal to fly them and are passenger current, we should be ok correct? is there something else I should be concerned about? Thanks.

I am a little confused with what you said. If we are both part of the same flying club and rated in the same planes and both legal to fly them and are passenger current, we should be ok correct? is there something else I should be concerned about? Thanks.

You have to agree who will be 'Acting PIC' and 'Sole Manipulator PIC' if you are sole manipulator, you log the whole flight PIC, as acting PIC, your partner only logs that time you are under the hood, and you log the same under "Simulated Instrument" time. Your PIC boxes should not match.

You SHOULD be. True. But check with your club rules for the details.

Back