How Do They Know

Checking the date on a medical is not what I would consider a 'deep search'....

I was responding to this comment:

I have never heard of an insurance company even checking the medicals of people involved in a claim. If you have solid proof that aviation insurance can be denighed due to GA medical status I would like to see it.
I believe this is an aviation myth. If you have insurance your plane is covered.

Could be because you haven't seen that many. Insurance company's do not want to pay, and will find any loophole to deny payment. My nephew is Vice President of one and we have had conversations at length about this. The disaster at New Orleans would be a classic example. I repeat what the lead appraiser at Avemco told me when I complemented him on how quickly they paid me.

Here are the actual statistics according to Avemco and reasoning for denials. Insurance companies actually do pay.

Here are the actual statistics according to Avemco and reasoning for denials. Insurance companies actually do pay.

Per your own reference, Avemco claims to be the exception to the rule.

Avemco, unlike many of our competitors, does not have a policy exclusion for an expired flight review occurring during the policy term.

Per your own reference, Avemco claims to be the exception to the rule.

I think you misunderstood their position. You have to be legal at the time the policy is put into force, but an expiration during the twelve month period of coverage will not invalidate your policy.

It is important to note that Avemco, unlike many of our
competitors, does not have a policy exclusion for an expired
flight review occurring during the policy term. Instead, we
ask the question on each year’s application. So long as the
customer tells us the truth on that application, their coverage
is in force, even if they inadvertently allow the flight review
to expire during that policy year. This avoids the “gotcha”
claim denials that can occur with exclusionary language.

I think you misunderstood their position. You have to be legal at the time the policy is put into force, but an expiration during the twelve month period of coverage will not invalidate your policy.

No, I get it. And Avemco says many of their competitors have language that justifies the ability to invalidate policies for the same lapse that Avemco allows.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back