How do SI's work/ will I lose my student cert?

Wrench978

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wrench978
I got a 3rd class medical about a year and a half ago, no issues. it has the student certificate with it. I haven't flown since then but I have been diagnosed with OSA. Im on a cpap, and use it religiously. Im getting started on my training, so I need to talk to my AME about getting my SI, but Im wondering if the SI is an "add-on" to my current medical or if I will have a new medical (which means getting a separate student pilot cert). I want to make sure I do things right, but I'm curious how much of a process this will be...

Yep, you need a SI. Start keeping your usage reports year round, and have your doc write a letter affirming you are compliant with therapy and show no signs of right hear failure. The worst part of this SI is getting the doc's office to comply with your needs.

I wish after x years of full compliance (100% usage) the aeromedical division would relax a bit and say "obviously you are playing by the rules, check back with us at your regular interval" instead of making us jump through hoops every year.

Others will be along shortly to provide more advice. If in doubt, contact Bruce Chien in Peoria, IL. This is routine stuff for him.

I have no doubt I need the SI. my doctor has already said he would write the letter. just didn't know if I would have to get a new student pilot cert as my medical is my current cert.

I guess this is one good reason why decoupling the student pilot certificate from the medical is a good idea.

Your first mistake was posting ehre
Your first first mistake was forgetting the golden rule, don't ask, don't tell

I *thought* the new OSA guidelines allowed the AME to issue in-office as long as you have all your paperwork (letter from your doc saying the treatment works, and 90-days of compliance reports, possibly a copy of the sleep study results for the first time SI) in order.

The SI will become your new medical. Think of it this way - OSA disqualifies you from having a medical, so FAA makes a "special issuance" on a case by case basis. In the past, that deferral would take 3-4 months, but now the AME is allowed to issue that SI for OSA in-office. It then gets sent off to FAA for review. About 3-4 months later you should get a letter from FAA telling you what you need to do the keep renewing it.

You'll really need some better info from an AME on the whole process. Since the student cert is tied to the medical, sort of, I'm not really sure how you go about this.

--

And I'm with @iflyvfr. After about 10 years of renewing an OSA SI, I do wish FAA would give me the benefit of the doubt.

The student pilot certificate is separate from the medical now. You fill out the form online using IACRA, and any CFI can process the application for you. You can also fill out the form online and then take the paperwork to a FSDO.

Rich

Just to follow up on this thread, I met with my AME for a consultation, and I don't have to do anything for now. My medical expires in 2020, so if I need to get a medical then I will have to go through the special issuance process. Hopefully the FAA gets their stuff together on the medical rewrite and I won't have to worry about it!

The student pilot certificate is separate from the medical now. You fill out the form online using IACRA, and any CFI can process the application for you. You can also fill out the form online and then take the paperwork to a FSDO.

Rich
Late to reply.
But if you held a paper student certificate with the Class III, before last April, It remains in effect, the student cert, you do not need to replace it with plastic through IACRA.

You can ask for a plastic student cert based on your original certificate, do not start a new process through IACRA. You ask for a replacement copy through the FAA web, not IACRA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back