How Do I Record Lessons?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
After completing my first real IFR lesson, I find myself wanting to replay the audio from the entire flight, ATC and all. Yes, I could have recorded the cockpit conversations on my iPhone, but then I wouldn't hear ATC.

What's the best way to record cockpit and ATC audio? (My club won't allow a mount for a GoPro, so I'm looking for another option...all I need is audio).

Thanks, members!

After completing my first real IFR lesson, I find myself wanting to replay the audio from the entire flight, ATC and all. Yes, I could have recorded the cockpit conversations on my iPhone, but then I wouldn't hear ATC.

What's the best way to record cockpit and ATC audio? (My club won't allow a mount for a GoPro, so I'm looking for another option...all I need is audio).

Thanks, members!

I bet they won't allow audio recording either...

Thanks, members!

Your smartphone and one of these splitter cables will do the job.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/8650

Plug your phone into the back seat headphone port using a $3 headphone adapter from Radio Shack.

Just about any recording device will do.

I really doubt your school will care. Nothing is mounted. Just put it in the back seat pocket with the POH and turn it on before engine start.

Having said that, I've only found complete recordings of a lesson to be marginally useful at best, and time consuming to review. You'd do better to record your thoughts in writing right after the flight.

Having said that, I've only found complete recordings of a lesson to be marginally useful at best, and time consuming to review. You'd do better to record your thoughts in writing right after the flight.

I think the idea is not to necessarily go back and listen to the whole recording, but to go back and re listen to an ATC instruction that didn't quite make sense. That would be nice when synced with a GPS logger, if you really want to geek out.

Thanks all. The club will allow recordings, just not permanent GoPro mountings.

My flight was from KVNY to KOXR...20 minutes of intense ATC interactions, heading bug changes,...I was busy the whole time. I really want the whole thing to play back, but this time it's too late.

Again, thanks! Will purchase a cable...

Thanks all. The club will allow recordings, just not permanent GoPro mountings.

Purchase the RAM vacuum base and the ball adapter for the go pro and find some place to stick it. Works great, and you can get different RAM extension arms.

They are great for rental or club planes, and leave no marks.

Purchase the RAM vacuum base and the ball adapter for the go pro and find some place to stick it. Works great, and you can get different RAM extension arms.

They are great for rental or club planes, and leave no marks.
Just remember to clean the window where you put the suction cup...spit leaves a noticeable ring on the plastic.........:rolleyes2:

I think the idea is not to necessarily go back and listen to the whole recording, but to go back and re listen to an ATC instruction that didn't quite make sense. That would be nice when synced with a GPS logger, if you really want to geek out.

Then, you can jot the time down and find it on liveatc.net. There are a bunch of SoCal frequencies on there.

This might help for the current "too late" case as well.

for a free solution, any corded mic/earphone off your iphone, put both the mic and earpiece in your headset ear cup. records everything you say (assuming your sidetone works) and hear.

What kind of headsets do you use? Lightspeed has a Flightlink app that uses the Bluetooth connection.

Last edited:
Some experiences I had that may help you out:

Tried direct audio from a 172 into a audio recorder, way overdriven and no clear audio.

Tried audio into a homemade resistor cable made from instructions online. No clarity, didn't work well.

Tried a y-splitter with the above cable in a 152. LOST ALL AUDIO ON TAKEOFF! Knew ATC was going to give me over to departure soon, had girlfriend hold the climb while I ripped out y-splitter (you'll remember the 152 has the audio jacks behind you). Likely a loose connection in the y-splitter but may be there was some sort of interference from the homemade cable as well. Couldn't duplicate this on the ground so I suspect loose connection.

Finally settled on buying a mypilotstore cable, couldn't be happier. http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/8650

Great length, good audio, works easy, excellent construction, built-in y-splitter. Price is a little high but it's worth it.

As for the video, look into either mounting a camera on your headset or those suction cup mounts. I would spend a lot of time experimenting in the plane on the ground beforehand. I spent about 4 flights fiddling with things until I got it right and should have really done a lot of that on the ground.

Also, remember that if you're on a flight plan then flightaware may have your track. If you were talking to ATC then you may be able to find audio archives of you and ATC on liveatc.

Last edited:
um, gopro makes suction cup mounts. that's not permanent, right? Pretty easy.

I have my own plane so use the one with the 3M VHB tape to a piece of plastic on the roof but the tape will come off without damage - i certainly wouldn't call it permanent.

Either way, suction cup mount is easy and there are audio cables available to record ATC, etc...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKeguITGtbwCFZRr7AodGH8A6g

That's the $1 cable that I use from the unused headset jack on the intercom (or you could use a splitter), combined with a $5 adapter to go from the size of the headset jack to the 1/8" cable. $6 for the whole thing.

Run that into the mic-in on a camcorder or a digital voice recorder.

If you use a straight-through cable, it will be over modulated because of the impedance mismatch.

Last edited:
Back