How do I find the MFR year of an aircraft?

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
Is it necessarily the same as the Airworthiness cert date? Could a 1980 model year have a MFR year of 1979 (like cars)? I want to make sure I get the correct POH for an AC.

There are some discrepancies as to year model, depending on manufacturer. For appraisal purposes, we use the date the COA was signed as the date of the plane. That method can cause occasional heartburn, if the guy thinks he has an 85 and we say it's an 84. Blue book has an easy look-up table and I have the info on this computer if you need a lookup. Shoot me a PM if I can help.

I looked here first. I do try to find an answer myself before asking others The MFR year is missing for the AC I'm interested in. Also, that doesn't answer my question of MFR year being the same as model year.

Could a 1980 model year have a MFR year of 1979 (like cars)? I want to make sure I get the correct POH for an AC.
Yes. FAA registration data shows only the calendar year of manufacture. Many GA manufacturers, like auto manufacturers, begin new "model years" in the late summer or fall of the preceding year.

Example: My C-172N was built and COA issued in October 1977, so the FAA database lists it as "MFR Year 1977". Cessna, on the other hand, says serial numbers 17269310 through 17271034 define the 1978 model year. Thus this one (s/n 17269781) is a 1978 Skyhawk, and it needs a 1978 POH and 1978 service and parts manuals.

There were significant changes for the 1978 model year (most importantly the change from 14v to 28v electrical system), so reliance only on the FAA "MFR year" or COA date could lead to problems. The serial number controls.

Last edited:
If in doubt, contact the type certificate holder with the serial number. They can tell you the model year which is the driver for things like POH's, as opposed to the calendar year of manufacture.

Also check the logs (assuming you have the logs). The first entry for my 1974 140 is dated 1973.

Is it necessarily the same as the Airworthiness cert date? Could a 1980 model year have a MFR year of 1979 (like cars)? I want to make sure I get the correct POH for an AC.

It goes the other way, too. My 1998 Citabria was built in Jan 1999. Only in aviation :rolleyes:

It goes the other way, too. My 1998 Citabria was built in Jan 1999. Only in aviation :rolleyes:

No, the automakers have done it on rare occasions, too. I once bought a 1974 Ford Courier in '75. The dealer said that Ford (Mazda, really) hadn't been able to meet the emissions standards for '75 so they just kept building '74s until the '76 model year.

Dan

Manufacture dates and model years aren't always the same. My 1960 model 175A cessna was built in nov of 1959. The serial numbers can help pin down which end of the model year your plane was built. (depending on the plane of course) You can look at the data the FAA has online or order the CD with all the info FAA Has on file for the aircraft. That will show the date of first registration, first sale or transfer etc.....

Hope that helps
Frank

Back