How did you get your hours after flight training?

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by sevensky, Jan 8, 2020.

1. LowanSlow

LowanSlow Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Midmoflyer
    Key word... Network. If able find an airport job or just hang out at an airport. Quickest option for most is getting the CFI. Some can skip CFIing by networking and sometimes just being lucky. Additionally, once you get the instrument rating, multi rating, ect. use them as much as possible. For example, at 350 hours Im flying Navajos which leads to multi PIC TT as-well as IMC/Xcountry TT, I am not gods gift to aviation by any means, but that time looks a heck of alot better on a resume than 500 hours of circling the local area VFR in whatever -insert generic trainer-... granted insurance usually views quality of time over qauntity of time diffrently.

2. PPC1052

PPC1052 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    PPC
    Get your SAC and become an airshow pilot.

3. lsaway

lsaway Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    lsaway
    Sure, but some regionals are better than others. The best applicants will get to choose, and it is best to get locked into the path of your choice as quickly as possible while things are good. Aviation history has shown that things can change rapidly.

4. Profileclimb

Profileclimb Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Profileclimb
    Potential employers like CFI time, I would go that route.

5. GrummanBear

GrummanBear Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    GrummanBear
    There are better, cheaper options. E.g., Wings of Carolina club south of Raleigh...$70ish/hr for 152, $160ish/hr for Mooney M20J...Wet. Folks there are salt of the earth types, too.

The 250 hour cost on my plane is $12k, including ins/hangar/reserves/oil/fuel, etc. Time builders aren’t that hard to buy or really that expensive to those who are financially disciplined in other areas. It’s attainable. I lost everything in a divorce, set a goal and started literally with just a truck and a chainsaw...18 months, 3 emergency room trips later, and I got my plane. The adventure has just begun, but I’m proof that it is attainable for someone who works like a dog and doesn’t have anything handed to him. I bucked almost a million pounds of brush and logs to get here.

If you want to be a professional pilot, I respectfully submit the ROI of a trainer or club membership is better than a fancier home or newer car.

Just a blue collar man in a white collar world.

Attached Files:

6. YooperMooney

YooperMooney Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    YooperMooney
    If you’re that low in time but can’t afford to leave your day job yet then buy a plane. Get something with decent avionics and full IFR. My Mooney costs $50/hr in fuel to operate. It’s 2200 SMOH so every hour I fly it technically pays ME. Add in the $6k/yr sunk cost of ownership (hangar, annual, insurance). At least when you build time you can actually go places. I had a C-150 but it was so pathetic and boring to own. I’m low time too and I’ve been too busy to fly but that might change soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrummanBear likes this.