How did you get hired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
I always heard that about the only way you'll get hired with a company is through a friend or some other connection. I wanted to see how true it was from both an employee and an employer's standpoint. Please feel free to post your opinions and suggestions so everyone can see...especially those just getting in to the career field.

it is certainly extremely helpful to have 'inside' connections, friends, etc.... "always be networkin' "

First "real" job, I was approached by a guy from my church that found out what my major was going to be, and I got a part time job that turned into full time in that field.

Second gig was the brother-in-law of a friend of my dad's that found out I had a CAD background that I learned at my first job, and got me plugged into jobs 2 and 3.

My 4th gig was back at my first gig at a 20% pay hike over gig #3.

I've only had two job interviews where I wasn't referred/asked to come in by someone I knew. Both those jobs were mine if I wanted them, but I declined.

1st 2 jobs out of college were through friends

Last 10-12 jobs have all been from Monster, careerbuilder

I always heard that about the only way you'll get hired with a company is through a friend or some other connection. I wanted to see how true it was from both an employee and an employer's standpoint. Please feel free to post your opinions and suggestions so everyone can see...especially those just getting in to the career field.

Do you mean in general, or specific to aviation?

Which job? the latest, the most fun, the most annoying, more specifics please.

Fujifilm: a friend who was laid off at the same time recommended me to her new employer.
Mobius: Hubby worked there and I applied.
Bailey House: online search of charities hiring.
NY Public Schools: response to radio ad for new Teaching Fellows.
JP Morgan Chase: head hunter.
Prodigy: newspaper ad, recruiter.
Tan Data: a friend who worked there recommended me.
Energy Auditing Services: I gave a business card to a stranger at a Mall demonstration of someone elses software.

4 aviation jobs...

1st two came from job fairs, second two came from friends. Broken down further, both part 121 jobs came from the job fairs. Both corporate flying gigs from friends.

1st real job after high school was from an ad in the paper. Current job was via a head hunter who had found my resume of one of the job sites

My first IT job (back in 1996) - I applied at the company's booth at a job fair.
Every subsequent job has been through IT recruiters with consulting agencies. My current job started as a contract position, and I was hired on after my first year.

I did it the old fashioned way. I got the names of departmental managers at companies I wanted to work for and sent them letters with resumes. I know it helps to know someone, but don't be afraid to go out and do your own legwork.

I got my first job out of college by answering an open solicitation that was placed by the company (Martin Marietta, a predecessor to Lockheed-Martin). The next job I went to work with an old college chum because he was doing interesting thing. The next job I was pushed by other people who worked there that I should come work with them (in fact, ended up being some of their bosses). I then had a guy sort of ask in the blind for a programmer and I ended up responding to that and working there for 25 years. Now I'm consulting.

One thing I've found useful in job searching is Linkedin's alumni function. It finds alumni from your college at a specific company you're interested in. It can be useful in getting informational interviews and ins in the industry of your choice. I imagine it's much more useful if you're in or fresh out of college.

Wow, that's a lot of jobs!

Software engineer. Most gigs are contract jobs from 6 months to a year or so.

Now I manage the developers. I have been at the same place for about 4 years now. Nice not having to be the guy doing the work.

More time to play on POA :)

More people should aspire to climb up to middle management LOL

Family business. My grandfathers, father, uncle, cousins and brothers were all in "the business" before me. So I raised my right hand and joined "the business".

Family business. My grandfathers, father, uncle, cousins and brothers were all in "the business" before me. So I raised my right hand and joined "the business".

Geez... Are you in the Mafia? :)

Got my first flying job based solely on my looks.

I thought mainly aviation but really it doesnt have to be. I was also thinking most recent but once again thats why its good to give feedback.

Guess I could share mine too.

First job: hostess at the local FBO, my mom worked there
Second job: car detailer at toyota, entry job found in the newspaper and the manager thought it was neat I was a pilot
Third: Flight instructing, I got checked out in one of thier 172s and kept in contact off and on with the manager, one day I just walked in and asked.
Fourth: charter pilot, the manager at the time knew me from flight instructing.

I got my first job working at Walgreens when I was in community college through a job agency (DVR) that specializes in individuals with disabilities find jobs. I got a job coach at first but then she stopped coming after a year when I was getting better at my job. Worked for about 2 years at Walgreens.

The second job is my first real job working in aviation at an air cargo facility at EWR last summer, and I got it through my college counselor's friend who happened to work in aviation and who called some employers at EWR to see who is hiring. Now that I just graduated from college, I am starting to work for them again next week but this is only a temporary summer job unfortunately. Luckily I got several people in my network who work in aviation so I will tap into those resources to see if they know anyone who is hiring in their workplace.

I think it's difficult to determine if one gets a job by their connection or because they simply out shined all other applicants.

My current job is the only one I even applied for after retiring from the military. I chose a spot that had an EMS program not far from my folks and applied. I had the job a week later after I interviewed. Now, I had a friend working for the company already who put in a good word for me but I'd like to believe I got it because my experience far exceeded the requirements. In the interview I was actually offered like 7 different flying positions around the country.

Connections are good to find out about internal openings but in aviation, at least in EMS, it doesn't matter who you know to actually get the job. They're going to play the percentages by hiring the more experienced pilot over someone who has a connection. That and the fact their insurance premiums are less with more experience. EMS is obviously about safety but they're equally concerned about cutting costs as well.

First job out of college was with an association management firm. A friend of my then girl friend ( Now wife's) father was president of one of the medical associations which was a client of the firm.

Next Job was after law school and it was with a firm run by a graduate of the school to whom I was assigned as a mentor by my law school.

Next Attorney job was advertised in a legal trade journal

Next and current Job was me taking a risk and starting my own firm.

Walked in their office, told them I have no experience, but I want to work on your multimillion dollar airplanes. They took a look at me and said as long as I had a high school diploma they would take care of the rest.

Knew each other for twenty years but I'd not worked in his shop. Had lunch with him one day, sealed the deal with a handshake.

My current job, was an ad on CL. I'd been outta work for about 2 months, and was getting a little "antsy". I showed up dressed for work, and told him about my experience, he said I'll pay you commission, and remember, this is seasonal.
I've been washing boats now for the past month, and my bank account is starting to recover. The bills are paid, I've got enough left to commit aviation tomorrow, and a more permanent position in the works. Today, (payday) he was complaining about not having much work for me this past week. Told me that I was th' best detailer he's had. (where's that big head smiley) Shoot! I was glad for the break, albeit a short week, it will get better next week. There's rich lazy folks out there wantin' to be fleeced!

My aviation experience started in my father's shop Mead flying Service. I worked my way through high school doing fueling, moving and maintenance with my father. After leaving Spartan I came back to work in his shop.

I guess I hired myself at my most recent job beginning in 1998 as Mead Aircraft Services.

My first job out of college I got by answering an ad. Then I got a number of jobs by word of mouth in a cliquish industry (mapping). My current job I got by sending a resume. I didn't know anyone who worked there but it was during the pilot hiring boom in the late 1990s and there was a lot of movement.

First job: walked in and and confidently and respectfully asked for a shot at the opening they had, continued to visit their office once a week for about three weeks, and they probably gave me the job so I would quit coming in every week. Worked there for 7 years, learning and getting good at it.

Second job: heard about an opening at another company for the same type of work, showed up and confidently and respectfully asked for a shot at the job. I was declined for that position and offered a higher position instead.

Moral: Get your foot in the door somewhere, spend some time and effort learning how to do it well, paying your dues, then good jobs will find you.

In aviation, I went to work at a small airport pumping gas, no experience whatsoever. After a couple of months, one of the base customers told me I should apply at the FBO across town, they would treat me better, pay marginally more. (he was moving to the same FBO) Most of the jobs after that were from recommendations. Same with the parts business. I stumbled into the first position, thinking it was temporary, working one week. That was 26 years ago. Slowly worked my way up the ladder after that.

Walked in their office, told them I have no experience, but I want to work on your multimillion dollar airplanes. They took a look at me and said as long as I had a high school diploma they would take care of the rest.

So you're in the family business as well?

Networking connections, which may be friend, colleague, or someone else I know. Don't ignore social media - you would be surprised as I was at the reach and impact.

Neworking, mainly.

It's not who you know, it's who knows you.... :)

By being qualified? :D

I have worked with a lot of people that did NOT get the job for that reason.
Not sure who they knew to get the job but were defiantly not qualified.

Back