How Close To An Overhaul?

I'd need the Lycoming OH manual, and the statement by the overhauler as to what specs he used for each part, and the statement that covers the dimensions of the parts not replaced, and what they were replaced with, and their sources.

However, part 91, TBO does not apply. You are entrusted as the operator to the widsom of the state of your collection of parts that constitute the engine. You really need Tom Downey here....

bbchien said:
I'd need the Lycoming OH manual, and the statement by the overhauler as to what specs he used for each part, and the statement that covers the dimensions of the parts not replaced, and what they were replaced with, and their sources.

However, part 91, TBO does not apply. You are entrusted as the operator to the widsom of the state of your collection of parts that constitute the engine. You really need Tom Downey here....
Bruce like you said there isn't much to go one here with out the log entry or the w/o

How ever it looks like a used cylinder overhaul..

no crankcase inspection
no accessories
no cylinders?!
Definitely doesn't sound like one of the more thorough ones to me.
To be honest I bought one like that. Its gone 850 hrs so far with some cylinder work so it was worth the price. But I don't expect to get another 900 out of it.
How much time since the last moh or top? Why did they OH it at all?

What did the return to service enty say? Was it Rebuilt or Overhauled it can only be one in accordance with part 43.2. From what you stated I beleive the engine was overhauled (repaired as necessary) not to new part standards.

A Rebuilt takes it to new part standards this is what you want to pay for.

Stache

Re: Data Points?

Mike Schneider said:
So, my question is: How close to a field service limits overhaul does this appear to be? For instance, there is no indication that the thru bolts were replaced with new. Some folks think the thru bolts must be replaced with new to qualify for a field service limits overhaul. Maybe there are other items missing from the list that keep it from being considered a bare minimum field service limits overhaul? My reason for asking is that I will spend more time to hunt down the I.A. and see if he can better document the situation. But, if this will not qualify for an O/H, I will limit my effort to some degree. So far I have not been able to find him, but I have a lead or two.

Stache: It didn't say either (rebuilt or overhauled).

Thanks for any insight. -- Mike

P.S. Documentation after the fact is a big problem. Be sure you are getting proper documentation to hold up the value of your plane.

Can you quote the sign off for us?

"It didn't say either (rebuilt or overhauled)."

What does it say? this may be just a repair.

Tom D. A&P-IA

I'd go with Tom. It's just a repair.

On a tailwheel Maule? I'd suspect a prop-strike tear down. Sketchy logs - eeeeekkkk.

I got a 5 page computer printout from the engine shop with my overhaul, including a detailed list of parts, lot numbers, serial numbers, traceability, etc, of everything in the engine. Mine only had 600hrs from a prop-strike tear down when it spit out a bearing. The crank was good, the case had to go to Divco for some welding repairs.

Mike Schneider said:
Sure can, Tom.

"6/6/00 1327.2 tach: cleaned, insp. & regapped sparkplugs, changed oil phil 20-50w x-c, changed oil filter ch48110, comp. ck. eng (1) 79/80 (2) 79/80 (3) 65/80 (4) 72/80 eng. was disassembled for broken conn. rod cly. # [blank, no number] & replaced rod & reassembled. & reinstalled on a/c. [Next was the standard annual stamp dated the same day.] I certify that this eng has been inspected in accordance with a annual inspection and was determined to be in airworthy condition. A.D.s check thru biweekly 6/6/00...."

Yellow tags for the appropriate pieces in my original post includes one for a single connecting rod. One has to wonder if this was the "broken connection rod" or if they just happened to have a used one laying around the shop for this particular engine. I have a suspicion that someone not knowledgeable in aircraft maintenance said words to the effect of "this is what is wrong with it and I want this specific thing fixed". Following that, the mechanic did as directed even though that was not the problem.

Interesting. -- Mike

For what its worth,, I think that's a pretty sorry sign off.

It is just a repair (for an internal failure).

The Time in all catagories continues.

The IA signed off only for the repairs and maintenance he performed so your engine has a changed rod. Your engine was repaired and not overhauled or rebuilt (legal sign off).

I would recommend at this point to forget about getting any better record entry from the IA, you won't get it. I would suggest at your next overhaul you go to a part 145 certificated repair station or factory overhaul and request a copy of the complete work order showing all the parts repaired or replaced.

Stache

I don't think you would get a good compression check with a broken connecting rod. I think the piston would just slide down the cylinder until it fell into the case and you would have no compression.

And I agree that this was some sort of repair and not an overhaul at all. Keep an eye on the oil consumption and look for metal in the filter at oil change as well as any other signs of a weak engine screaming out for help :eek: and fly her like she's paid for!

Back