How can one person be so destructive to GA?

tdager

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
LittleIronPilot
EDIT: I confused this attorney with another...thus I will merely make this a rant against his statements in this article alone.....

We need to counter his assertions with facts and close down his emotional rhetoric that does nothing but drive more business his way.

http://www.aolnews.com/article/barefoot-bandit-case-hints-at-gap-in-national-security/19554786

I am sorry....but his "sure they cost money but *something* has to be done" statement is indicative of the mess that the modern litigation system and its "no harm should ever come to anyone at any time" mentality has done.

The "bandit" broke into an airport with locked gate, surveillance equipment, a locked hangar, and a locked airplane to steal the Cessna. Now he squawks about "no one questions you when you taxi an airplane" or that the tower just clears you to take off? So....does someone make sure that the person renting the Ryder truck is who they say they are, does someone question them when they drive near a building full of people?

I do NOT want to see our general aviation airports turned into mini-military camps to assuage the fears of a public that simply has no capability to judge real risk to their lives.

Last edited:
I think this is more of a, "Ignore him and he'll go away" situation. If the population at large really was worried about GA, we would have seen a big reaction when that nut case flew his Piper into the IRS building in Austin.

At first I thought this was going to be another thread about the guy selling natty flight suits with his personal logo......:ihih::ihih:

I love it -- lets fence in every airport and equip them with motion sensors. "Sure, it costs money."

So, for an average year of 12 airplanes stolen (none of which have been able or would be able to destroy anything much bigger than your average garden shed), we'll have every airport spend $1mm fencing with East German-level security. I will note for the record that even the Iron Curtain was penetrated. Numerous times. :rolleyes:

What a publicity-seeking jack-off! IMHO, of course. :mad3:

I just sent the writer an email, inviting him to go fly. His piece was not just a slash & burn one, and he sought legitimate viewpoints.

I hope Greaves is a good lawyer, because he knows exactly richard about
security.

"The fact that [authorities say] he was able to get the airplanes and get them out of the [airports] successfully without anybody challenging him is scary," Los Angeles attorney John A. Greaves said in an interview with AOL News. "That means, basically, anybody that wants to steal a plane can."

Fact: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_theft)
" Nationwide in the US in 2005, there were an estimated 1.2 million motor vehicle thefts, or approximately 416.7 motor vehicles stolen for every 100,000 inhabitants.Property losses due to motor vehicle theft in 2005 were estimated at $7.6 billion."

Fact: Light aircraft are weapons of minimal destruction.

Remember January 5, 2002?

Remember the attack on the white house with a Cessna 150?

Remember the most successfull terrorist attack using light aircraft resulted in exactly one dead (other than the suicide pilot)?

Remember 9/11?

Why was 9/11 different than the other attacks?

Big airplanes, big destruction.

Small airplanes, small damage. Weapon of minimal destruction.

Worry about the airlines.

Worry about trucks.

I do NOT want to see our general aviation airports turned into mini-military camps to assuage the fears of a public that simply has no capability to judge real risk to their lives.
attachment.php

This is what the author was doing. Reasonable people will drown him out in most cases.

Attachments

• ffffaf67-2654-488a-8566-82fe87fe9a13.jpg
    ffffaf67-2654-488a-8566-82fe87fe9a13.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 135
It all boils down to class warfare at its finest. If they only knew how may pilots scrape and scrounge to keep flying, they'd be ashamed of themselves. However, shame, personal responsibility and accountability don't seem to be in our lexicon any longer.

So, for an average year of 12 airplanes stolen (none of which have been able or would be able to destroy anything much bigger than your average garden shed), we'll have every airport spend $1mm fencing with East German-level security. I will note for the record that even the Iron Curtain was penetrated. Numerous times. :rolleyes:

Not to go too far off subject, but I visited the Iron Curtain back in '87. An Iron Curtain-type fence would cost much more than $1mil. It consisted of 2 expanded steel grate fences that had plastic land mines between them. It was patrolled by dogs and guys on motorcycles. In addition, there were also guard towers every kilometer or so.

Yes, the Iron Curtain was penetrated several times, but almost all of the people who did it were former guards or employees who knew the weak points. The average dissident who just tried to charge the fence was mowed down in a hail of machinegun fire.

Testing: does dick come out as richard through the cuss filter?

EDIT: it would appear no, it doesn't. :-b

Not to go too far off subject, but I visited the Iron Curtain back in '87. An Iron Curtain-type fence would cost much more than $1mil. It consisted of 2 expanded steel grate fences that had plastic land mines between them. It was patrolled by dogs and guys on motorcycles. In addition, there were also guard towers every kilometer or so.

Yes, the Iron Curtain was penetrated several times, but almost all of the people who did it were former guards or employees who knew the weak points. The average dissident who just tried to charge the fence was mowed down in a hail of machinegun fire.

I lived behind the Iron Curtain. Been there, done that, had the submachine gun pointed in the face.

The comparison was meant to be a bit of hyperbole.

Back