How can I make pilots' lives easier using apps?

People are addicted to apps? ...
I could see for complex use cases apps might be visually more appealing and possibly more responsive. For something simple like FlightsForBites.com, I don't see the value. And installing an app for something so simple might be an adoption deterrent.

I've made an Android app before since you can deploy without the app store. Creating an app store install, from a developer perspective, seems like a huge hassle. It might be worth it if you're trying to make money. Not so much if you're providing a service for free.

My son graduates from Chapel Hill this spring with a comp sci degree. He told me recently development focus is shifting back to websites from apps.

Just make an "add to home" link from your webpage and pretend it's the app install button. That will fool 90% of your audience. App development is a Sarlacc pit you'd rather avoid climbing into.

Just make an "add to home" link from your webpage and pretend it's the app install button...
If I ever venture out on my own I'm hiring you as a consultant. You seem to have sage software development advice :)

If not an app, a mobile site.

PCs are landscape oriented. Phones are portrait oriented. Sometimes makes using, reading, entering a bit of a pain.

Also, I have a page with aviation apps. So quick and easy to get too. Website takes a few more clicks.

If not an app, a mobile site.

PCs are landscape oriented. Phones are portrait oriented. Sometimes makes using, reading, entering a bit of a pain.

Also, I have a page with aviation apps. So quick and easy to get too. Website takes a few more clicks.

I added a link to my homepage on my iPhone. Works well. It will display in portrait and when I turn the phone it goes to landscape. As they say, "easy peasy lemon squeezy!"

I added a link to my homepage on my iPhone. Works well. It will display in portrait and when I turn the phone it goes to landscape. As they say, "easy peasy lemon squeezy!"
One HUGE advantage to an app would be the ability for the app to sync the data locally to your iPhone. That way while flying (or on the ground), with no signal, you could still look things up.

One HUGE advantage to an app would be the ability for the app to sync the data locally to your iPhone. That way while flying (or on the ground), with no signal, you could still look things up.
I'm finding fewer no signal times these days. Nevertheless, point taken. It goes back to my point about a commercial site. Although some suggested my intent was making a buck, I created the site to give back to the community and learn some stuff along the way. I think as FlightsForBites.com stands it meets the sweet spot of utility and investment.

How about an app that allows pilots to:
1. host other pilots from out of town (provide a ride from/to the airport, and lodging)
2. stay with pilots when they visit other places
Both would be completely free to all parties involved. Of course, the visiting pilot can always bring food, pay for gas, but it's not mandatory.
The app would enable ratings for each person, both as a host and as a visitor.

How about an app that allows pilots to:
1. host other pilots from out of town (provide a ride from/to the airport, and lodging)
2. stay with pilots when they visit other places
Both would be completely free to all parties involved. Of course, the visiting pilot can always bring food, pay for gas, but it's not mandatory.
The app would enable ratings for each person, both as a host and as a visitor.

As in your thread on this same point, no. Not just no, but no, no, no, and no. Especially the social rating thing.

Back