How can I go back and listen to radio calls?

Tracey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
tracey
I know that I go to liveatc.net, but how do I listen to a radio call from a few hours ago (yes, I'm curious what my calls sound like).:redface:

File Not Found - this might be because:

the feed was down during the requested time period, or
the time period requested is later than the current time, or
because of some other technical problem.

Thanks Tim... figures my file can't be found. Argh. Thank you though!

Tracey - if you want to record everything, you can:

find a camcorder or a tape recorder (digital) with a "mic in" and then buy a wired mic that sits inside your headset. Turn everything on to record and what you hear (which is everything you say and everything ATC says) is what the mic hears, since it is in your ear.

Otherwise, with liveatc, it is a crap shoot. For example, it took me hours of listening to find my XC and even then they recorded over it with what seemed like 4 channels at once.

The cool thing about recording your headset in flight is that you will record your CFI's feedback on your landings, etc. I used to record all my ground lessons with a handheld voice recorder, but it didn't have an aux mic input.

The cool thing about recording your headset in flight is that you will record your CFI's feedback on your landings, etc.
Now THAT is brilliant!!!!! Because most of what he tells me (while I'm flying anyway), goes in one ear, bypasses my brain, and out the other. Or at least it seems that way. Thanks Kim, that's brilliant!

Now THAT is brilliant!!!!! Because most of what he tells me (while I'm flying anyway), goes in one ear, bypasses my brain, and out the other. Or at least it seems that way. Thanks Kim, that's brilliant!

might be for the best....:rolleyes:

That is a sharp idea Kim, when I buy a camcorder I may just do that, although I think the jack on my Sierra and Zulu sets have a jack that accommodates a direct wire. So you never get any feedback issues? Good to know.

That is a sharp idea Kim, when I buy a camcorder I may just do that, although I think the jack on my Sierra and Zulu sets have a jack that accommodates a direct wire. So you never get any feedback issues? Good to know.
Hey no highjacking my night flight thread. :)

Oh Henning I just got your joke, lol!!!

Can't say regarding feedback. I've never done it myself, but have always followed the audio / visual threads - since, to me, a video of a flight is much better with real time radio calls. I remember early in my training listening to the Student Pilot Cast - and somehow he (BillWill on POA) recorded all of his own headset audio...... one of the reasons I listened to his shows.

Hey no highjacking my night flight thread. :)
Henning, this isn't even my night flight thread. D'oh. Guess I'm getting tired. Go ahead and hijack away.:nonod:

Once she gets the whole flying part worked out....:popcorn::D
LOL agreed. I still suck a lot. Especially on my tail dragger lesson last Saturday. I think I'm stretching myself too thin.

And Tracey: no, but I suppose if I do it over the rest of my life or something, I could go for that. I've heard from "award winning" CFI's, privately, that I should become a CFI . . . my problem is money.

I will need my instrument, commercial, etc.....

Not gonna happen anytime soon. Thanks for the thought.

Tracey - if you want to record everything, you can:

find a camcorder or a tape recorder (digital) with a "mic in" and then buy a wired mic that sits inside your headset. Turn everything on to record and what you hear (which is everything you say and everything ATC says) is what the mic hears, since it is in your ear.

Otherwise, with liveatc, it is a crap shoot. For example, it took me hours of listening to find my XC and even then they recorded over it with what seemed like 4 channels at once.

The cool thing about recording your headset in flight is that you will record your CFI's feedback on your landings, etc. I used to record all my ground lessons with a handheld voice recorder, but it didn't have an aux mic input.

That's exactly what I do. No feedback, Henning, as the mic and speakers go to different sources. I just use my cell phone's voice recorder and run-of-the-mill wired headphones with the tiny little mic stuck under the ear cup of my Zulus. I tried using the bluetooth to record, but it's not picked up by the phone's recorder, oddly. Haven't yet tried hard wireing the phone to the Zulu; for now the mic under the ear cup works just fine.

That's exactly what I do. No feedback, Henning, as the mic and speakers go to different sources. I just use my cell phone's voice recorder and run-of-the-mill wired headphones with the tiny little mic stuck under the ear cup of my Zulus. I tried using the bluetooth to record, but it's not picked up by the phone's recorder, oddly. Haven't yet tried hard wireing the phone to the Zulu; for now the mic under the ear cup works just fine.

This is a great idea! I have a cell phone and I think it has a voice recorder and I have a tiny wire mic for the cell phone! Genius!

I'll describe my recording setup, but it'd neither fit the "budget" nor be what casual recorders would need...

Tascam DR-07 digital audio recorder (ALC abailable on the gain, so overdrive never happens... when you have to get it on the first "take"...) and a 20dB pad cable that plugs directly into a back seat headset jack.

If four people on board, a Y-cable inserted so that headset in that location will work.

It will record *exactly* what's on the intercom system in high-fidelity. Including alternator whine. ;)

Kent pointed out that these recordings sound too "sterile", so I'll probably add another recorder for ambient noise in the cockpit and merge them and lower the level of the background noise considerably. May also play with "ducking" the ambient audio whenever the intercom is active.

But first things first. Need to get warmer weather and the camera mounts and angles nailed down.

Back