How can I get a first class again?

bmacadoozle

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bmacadoozle
(Also posted this on reddit so sorry if you see it again but am asking a different question)

Received this letter from the faa today https://ibb.co/6rDYJ9K and essentially they don’t think I am fit enough for a 1st but a 3rd is ok so they lowered my medical to a 3rd which is good because I can still get my ppl but I really want to go all the way with aviation and i’m hoping that those goals aren’t out the window with this. Is there any way I can ever hold a 1st class medical? my pcp and asthma doctor both said my function tests looked almost as good as a non- asthmatic if that means anything. thanks for the help in advance, I also have a meeting with my AME next week to see what we can do

(Also posted this on reddit so sorry if you see it again but am asking a different question)

Received this letter from the faa today https://ibb.co/6rDYJ9K and essentially they don’t think I am fit enough for a 1st but a 3rd is ok so they lowered my medical to a 3rd which is good because I can still get my ppl but I really want to go all the way with aviation and i’m hoping that those goals aren’t out the window with this. Is there any way I can ever hold a 1st class medical? my pcp and asthma doctor both said my function tests looked almost as good as a non- asthmatic if that means anything. thanks for the help in advance, I also have a meeting with my AME next week to see what we can do
This question is better asked of your AME.

But my guess is to use the third to do your training, develop a track record with the doctors and AME’s that your asthma is a low or no risk, then apply for a first when it’s truly needed. Which could be a moderate while from now.

Did you tell them you wanted a 1st Class?

Hmmn. Standards for asthma are identical for first vs 3rd. We’re not being told the whole story, here....

Hmmn. Standards for asthma are identical for first vs 3rd. We’re not being told the whole story, here....

Or the OP simply misunderstood and was only trying for a 3rd class in the first place without realizing it.

But, I guess the above is good news for the OP, if their story is correct.

A. The FAA made a typo. They state the medical you possess is valid. The FAA would have suspended your Class 1 medical certificate if you were not qualified to hold it.

B. You currently hold a Class 3 and this letter is not stating you do not qualify for a Class 1.

I agree, this sounds like you applied for a 3rd class medical.

My (our) advice as always is that when you don't understand something about your medical, pay your AME for a consult. That's not a medical exam, it's an exploration of the rules around your specific condition. Is this case, it might just be a question - "hey, does this asthma prevent me from getting a 1st class"?

But there's no reason to do it now, you can wait 2 years until your next medical. You'll probably need to ask the question about what report they will want to see from your regular doctor. Listen carefully and make sure you get exactly what they need.

Otherwise, go forth and fly, learn and have fun.

Did you tell them you wanted a 1st Class?
I kind of see where you are coming from now, on my medx I applied for a 3rd because I didn't know if I saw 20/20 but after the vision test my AME said I qualified for a 1st class and said he would change the class before sending it in. My medical say's first class on it but it seems like somewhere between my doctor and the FAA there was a mixup

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back