How 'bout a little rotary wing!

Cuban 8s in helos. One skid ground maneuvers.

Hmmmn. Unlike that other guy, I think this one has mastered hover! :)

bbchien said:

Quite skillful, yes. But I do wonder about the pilot's judgement. I wonder if he had a low altitude aerobatic waiver, I've never heard of one for a helicopter pilot. Also while it's hard to tell for sure, but it looked to me that he spent a fair amount of time in the dead man's zone, and I doubt that the owners of the airplane he air taxied over appreciated it much.

That was some display. What was that tailslide about half way through the video? I wonder what the blades were doing during that maneuver.

I've seen some awesome helicopter demonstrations but I think the one that takes the cake was the Blackhawk hovering like it was pasted against the sky during President Bush's visit to FFA during the Centennial. Terrible wx, winds up to 28G40 with isol +RA and the pilot kept that thing in an absolutely motionless hover about 400 agl for about 45 minutes.

lancefisher said:
I wonder if he had a low altitude aerobatic waiver, I've never heard of one for a helicopter pilot.

airport is not in Conus. maybe in that country they allow that kinda of stuff. Indeed it was entertaining.

Some of my old rotary wing guys begrudged he was good, but not the best. Haa, competitiveness.:D
The Hughes 300 has a very flexible rotarhead. You can't do some of the things the semi-rigid and rigid rotor aircraft can do. Yeh, I also noticed he like going left. Still, looks like a lot of fun.
I agree with Lance 'bout not being able to do this just anywhere and hovering over other aircraft.

Normal disclaimers: contents may settle during shipping, professional pilot on text course, etc.

Best,

Dave

bbchien said:

It looks more like a bunch of wingovers bordering on hammerheads.
But yea, outcome of the maneuver is never in doubt.

Note to self: Helicopter training: Shoreham Arpt: Dennis Kenyon

Back