How big is your "anti-dog" stick? [N/A]

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
I'm starting to walk around the neighborhood to battle the bulge. Turns out that I prefer to walk at night. Unfortunately that closes the distance for me to see a potential dog attack coming plus my trusty stick (thin carved wood "walking" stick) snapped when a family member was walking with it. :frown3: There are several dogs that roam the nights whom I have not gotten to know yet plus misc possums & packs of cats who may get territorial one night.

Before I go out an buy some arbitrary wooden cane I'd like to hear what you guys carry?

If you walk or hike you in your area:
1. Do you carry a stick, blade or other defensive tool? And what is it?

2. What kinda beast are you expecting?

3. In your mind what's the likely outcome of an engagement?

Where I live and walk we're likely to encounter raccoons (rabies is a problem), coyotes, coydogs (cross between coyote and ferrel dog which tend to pack up), etc. My defense mechanism of choice is a .380 in my belt. The anticipated outcome is putting the animal down if it becomes aggressive towards me. If it looks and retreats, no issue as I enjoy seeing them. I've had to put down a couple coydogs due to their lack of fear of people. I hate doing it but I'm also not gonna let a crazed cross breed challenge me either.

If it's a little dog I kick it. If it's a bigger one I yell at it. I've never really felt the need to carry anything.

Where I live and walk we're likely to encounter raccoons (rabies is a problem), coyotes, coydogs (cross between coyote and ferrel dog which tend to pack up), etc. My defense mechanism of choice is a .380 in my belt.
I can't help but thinking that'd somehow be a crime here in the cities of So Cal. I'd either be concealing or brandishing in addition to the foot shooting possibility.:frown2: (a neighbor had the foot thing some time ago)

I used to do that - walk at night. There was an abandoned rail line near my house and it made a perfect walking trail. I was out one fall night with the leaves blowing around, and a pack of coyotes let loose on the other side of the woods. Must have been at least a mile away.

The hair stood up on the back of my neck! Complete involuntary reaction, and it surprised me...

-Skip

Would mace work on an animal like it does on people, or would it just pi$$ them off and make them more aggressive?

Would mace work on an animal like it does on people, or would it just pi$$ them off and make them more aggressive?

Can't hit what you can't see I suppose. Though people maybe critters of strong will and training can withstand it. just search youtube for "OC Coast Guard"

you can whack a dog pretty hard and he won't give a damn. You can also pepper spray a dog and he won't much give a damn, if he's aroused enough.

My suggestion would be to have a thinner stick (don't have to work so hard to carry it!) to use as a bite stick - if the dog is trying to bite you, put the stick in his mouth and he'll bite that, instead. I would also carry some dog biscuits or peanut butter crackers or cheetos along with ya - if you toss 'em a treat, they might decide quickly that you're all right. If not, you have the bite stick.

Evaluate what you're likely to encounter and judge from there.

Dogs don't scare me, even the couple in the neighborhood that obviously know a thing or two about fighting. Plus, I go walking with my Rottweiler, which means that the other dogs will generally pay more attention to him than to me (thus allowing me to take care of them). The other animals we get are rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. So, nothing really bad here.

A good stick is probably not a bad idea, but so is having a dog of your own to walk with. Most importantly, understanding how to deal with dogs. Of the neighborhood dogs I've encountered, two have tried to attack my dog and me (they always go for my dog first) and I get them on the ground in submission. One of them was about 100 lbs, the other was about 20 lbs. The 20 lb dog obviously wasn't much of a challenge, but it was pretty hilarious to see him try to be vicious. ;)

Pepper spray works great... Cheap and non lethel.. well kinda, just don't shoot yourself.:mad3:

There are lots of pit bulls around me. Some of them are not so nice. I carry a neck knife.

I carry pepper spray when I go walking, Day or Night. The beasties I'm expecting to defend agianst walk on two legs.

Where I live and walk we're likely to encounter raccoons (rabies is a problem), coyotes, coydogs (cross between coyote and ferrel dog which tend to pack up), etc. My defense mechanism of choice is a .380 in my belt. The anticipated outcome is putting the animal down if it becomes aggressive towards me. If it looks and retreats, no issue as I enjoy seeing them. I've had to put down a couple coydogs due to their lack of fear of people. I hate doing it but I'm also not gonna let a crazed cross breed challenge me either.

I'd suggest loading snake shot in the chamber, with regular ammo after that.

Non-lethal to (most) dogs and yet gets their attention right quick.

I'd suggest checking on local law to find out what's legal and what's not, especially when you start talking about bladed, chemical, and electrical weapons.

A good move to use on dogs when un-armed is to offer one forearm, then use the other arm to disable (dogs necks don't bend very well upwards).

Sure, one bite will hurt, but one bite on the forearm will save many in other places.

If two dogs are fighting (yours and another), reach for a hind legs and flip. It's the furthest from the bite and the easiest way to break up the fracas.

All easier said than done, of course -- but very few dogs can wreak more than superficial harm to a grown adult that fights back.

As posted earlier, when a dog is fully engaged in a fight a stick or switch won't even register. It's more important to get the dog in a point of disadvantage so he wants to break off and re-consider.

All easier said than done, of course -- but very few dogs can wreak more than superficial harm to a grown adult that fights back.

The big thing is that in general you can beat the dog, and it's not that hard. Even a big dog in the 100-120 lb range isn't that bad. Not being scared (this is extremely important as dogs will sense you fear) and knowing you're going to win is more than half of it.

It's interesting how many people carry things since it has never really occurred to me to do so even though I have been chased by dogs, sometimes when I've been walking but especially on a bicycle. Most of them are just noise.

When I was a child I was afraid of dogs but I often had to walk home alone. There were many loose dogs around because this was in the dark ages before leash laws. My father told me not to show fear, to stand still and not to run. Maybe he was being overly confident in the fact that this would work, but the attitude has pretty much stayed with me.

It's interesting how many people carry things since it has never really occurred to me to do so even though I have been chased by dogs, sometimes when I've been walking but especially on a bicycle. Most of them are just noise.

When I was a child I was afraid of dogs but I often had to walk home alone. There were many loose dogs around because this was in the dark ages before leash laws. My father told me not to show fear, to stand still and not to run. Maybe he was being overly confident in the fact that this would work, but the attitude has pretty much stayed with me.

When I was about 6 I got bitten on the hand by a Standard Poodle. I still have a scar on my palm as evidence. I did manage to avoid a fear of dogs, so no worries there.

When I was about 12, a dog would regularly rush me, barking like crazy when I rode by on my bike. One day while still on the bike, I landed my shoe hard under his jaw. He stopped dead in his tracks to reconsider. The next time I rode by he came charging out at me as usual, but recognized me when he got close and peeled off, dropping the attack. Never a problem after that.

You can teach a dog!

-Skip

The bicycle is a different story. I carry one water bottle in my back that is filled with vinegar water. When the dog comes busting down the drive way he is greeted with the solution to the face which they don't like very much.

The bicycle is a different story. I carry one water bottle in my back that is filled with vinegar water. When the dog comes busting down the drive way he is greeted with the solution to the face which they don't like very much.

Hmm I'll have to remember that one.... Good for when pedaling faster won't cut it.

Only time I've ever been attacked by a dog (besides the time I was a kid and I was throwing rocks at it), was on my motorcycle. That sucked.

This works very good, even in the city.:D

Attachments

• ppk_silenced.jpg
    ppk_silenced.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 8

I don't carry anything for protection either, but I don't fear dogs and know how to deal with them. I'd be more concerned about certain huamns in New York. Actually, I'd be more concerned about humans in my neighborhood.

I'd say his attitude was about right. I've had dogs come up to me from behind barking, I'll just turn around and look at them, and they've generally backed off. Sort of a "You barkin' at ME?!" look.

Then I catch them and return them to the owner.

Only time I've ever been attacked by a dog (besides the time I was a kid and I was throwing rocks at it), was on my motorcycle. That sucked.

Bertha D. Bulldog was owned by a guy who had an auto parts store. I figured he had a motorcycle, because she would run out into the street chasing when one came by, sometimes biting at the tires. She brought down one a girl was riding.

I eventually broke her of that (kept her on a leash) and she got too old to chase anyway.

yea i dont walk around carrying an array of weapons to take care of dogs. When the occasional dog is loose and comes running towards me barking i usually say hello, crouch down on one knee, pet it for a while, and then point to its house or owner and say 'see ya later!'

yea i dont walk around carrying an array of weapons to take care of dogs. When the occasional dog is loose and comes running towards me barking i usually say hello, crouch down on one knee, pet it for a while, and then point to its house or owner and say 'see ya later!'

That's cause you smell like chocolate chip cookies....

:smile:

The only time I ever went for a walk and felt that need to carry anything was at a friends house in Anacourtes. But I was carrying a gun to shot the mountain lions. They snapped a nice picture of one on their picnic table a few days before my arrival.

When I ride my bike I sometimes get chased by dogs but I can out run them.

I used to ride alot -- 47 miles a night -- when I raced (got beat bad by Floyd Landis).

One day I was riding a new route anc coming the crest of a LONG, killer hill.

I was doing about 5 MPH, resting a bit after the hard clim, when I felt eyes boring into me.

I looked up and saw an enormous German Shepherd, his gaze fixed on my lyrca-clad leg.

Nearby was an old lady, raking leaves.

I thought about turning, but it was my only way home. I'd have to pass here eventually.

I did a brief track stand and watched to see if he would lunge.

He did.

He came directly at me, without a sound (If you've been around dogs, you know the quiet ones are the dangerous ones).

I was in a small gear and stomped it and went about 3 feet.

I dropped into high gear and tried again, barely rolling, heart and lungs still heaving from the climb.

He was closing the distance fast. Even if I was able to speed up, he was in front, and would be able to cut me off.

I was starting to roll and he was about 10 feet away at full charge when i did all I had left....

I yelled the deepest, loudest yell I could muster (kinda "arrrrggghhhh!!")

He stopped dead in his tracks, the old lady dropped her rake, and I had the brief window i needed.

The gear caught, the wheels started rolling, he started running again, but by now speed and distance wa son my side.

I heard him galloping behind me, but on the flat there was no way he'd catch me.

A wek later I was riding with some teamates, and one told me he was chased and knocked down by a dog. he sued and settled and got a new set of Spinergy wheels out of the deal.

Darn.

a gun for mountain lions may give good peace of mind but thats about it.

You'll never see the one that will get you.

was on my motorcycle. That sucked.

No kidding.

Head to head: Straight at them until you're in their face then yell, get on the horn and be down a gear or two. When they break off, maneuver to increase separation distance. They're crazy, not stupid - usually.
Intercept angles: Slow down a lot. Let them set the predictable intercept point, at 10ft go to 75% power. They'll run about 5 more steps before giving up as they recede in your mirrors.
U turns and trapped situations: No clue. Make it up as you go along. The silly creatures try to get between the front wheel and exhaust pipes for some reason. Be careful about kicking at them. I kicked the snot out of one dog and damn near dumped myself in the process.

On foot, I'm usually unarmed though sometimes I have a 6ft hiking stick, ice axe or a rather illegal camp knife. (no city walks for me) If they insist on getting too close I'll avoid defense tactics and rely on first strike offensive behavior. Their game plan says you're supposed to cower or run, not jump in their face.

Barking dogs are just out for the game and will quit early. The quiet determined ones will mix it up with you.

Last edited:
a gun for mountain lions may give good peace of mind but thats about it.

You'll never see the one that will get you.

My Aunt works for the National Park service, and when they lived in Alaska they would do a fair amount of back county hiking. My uncle told me that deep down he figured that the .44mag ruger would probably just **** off the grizzly even more, but having it made him sleep better...:yikes:

Let them set the predictable intercept point, at 10ft go to 75% power.
At which point..you'll wheelie onto your back and the dog will be on top of you biting before you realize what happened.

Not going to happen on Nick's bike though. On the bigger newer stuff you really have to be careful with the throttle. Hit it hard without thought at 10-30 mph and you'll either break loose and go down or you'll wheelie onto your back in an instant.

Back