How Amazon Warehouse Works

Speechless. I had no idea we were at that point yet.

A coworker's son is a young manager for Amazon in Indy. Their facility was shipping just over 1,000,000 items a day before Christmas.

Somewhere, an amazon robot programming guy is contemplating suicide. ;)

Very cool, indeed.

We've done some research on robotic warehouse ops, but haven't gone to that level with anything yet.

That's not how amazon works at all. That is not amazon technology that's been around the last few years but certainly not amazons way of doing it.

Have the UAVs fly to the pod, grab the item, and fly it right to the customer.

Somewhere, an Amazon robot has become sentient and is already plotting our demise :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very cool, indeed.

We've done some research on robotic warehouse ops, but haven't gone to that level with anything yet.

In ~2005/6 I was the soup to nuts project initiator and manager for an Automatic Storage and Retrieval System we put in at work. It was a roughly 100,000' lights out warehouse project and did everything we (I) thought it would. Speed of service improved dramatically. Product damage, equipment damage, and lost inventory were practically eliminated in the warehouse.

The downside of automation is that automation is very expensive, and crazy expensive if you need it to be flexible and handle widely varied loads.

That's not how amazon works at all. That is not amazon technology that's been around the last few years but certainly not amazons way of doing it.

Agreed. There are plenty of journalist reports on how amazon works, and this does not seem to be accurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Also agree this isn't how Amazon does it. Humans are still way cheaper than robots in their biz.

For a fascinating and time wasting side trip on the Internet, look up full- time RVing blogs and "workampers".

A large percentage of folks who've "retired" to traveling in RVs work for Amazon at various locations every Sept-Dec. They get free RV parking and hookups and paid to do the mass manual labor Amazon needs for the holiday season.

OT is mandatory after about November and they all blog similarly... At work by 5:55A to clock in at 6, back to the RV bed hopefully by 9P, a handful of strictly controlled breaks throughout the day, and sore from hard physical work.

Those who do it, seem to appreciate the cash stash they build in three months that covers most of their expenses for a year. It's quite popular actually.

Also agree this isn't how Amazon does it. Humans are still way cheaper than robots in their biz.

For a fascinating and time wasting side trip on the Internet, look up full- time RVing blogs and "workampers".

A large percentage of folks who've "retired" to traveling in RVs work for Amazon at various locations every Sept-Dec. They get free RV parking and hookups and paid to do the mass manual labor Amazon needs for the holiday season.

OT is mandatory after about November and they all blog similarly... At work by 5:55A to clock in at 6, back to the RV bed hopefully by 9P, a handful of strictly controlled breaks throughout the day, and sore from hard physical work.

Those who do it, seem to appreciate the cash stash they build in three months that covers most of their expenses for a year. It's quite popular actually.
Modern day migrate manual labor. Pretty soon RVs with plates from Mexico come in and their passengers under cut the wages of those working there now I'll bet.

Modern day migrate manual labor. Pretty soon RVs with plates from Mexico come in and their passengers under cut the wages of those working there now I'll bet.

Could be. I suspect Amazon probably appreciates not having to worry much about the I-9 forms when Bob and Martha the Retired Couple from Michigan show up, though.

My understanding is they do all that paperwork ahead of time, online. Bob and Martha send in scanned ID, *and* submit to full background checks before they get anywhere near an Amazon warehouse.

Back