How Am I getting weather with no subscription on my GDL 69A

carrollm

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal_Matt
I have a circa-2009 Garmin GDL 69A, along with a 530W, 430W and G600. I have never activated either a weather or XM radio subscription on the GDL-69A, but I do have weather/participation displayed on the both the 530 and 430, as well as the G600. I am assuming there is some basic level of XM weather that comes with the GDL 69A, otherwise I would not be getting the weather displays. Anyone heard or know anything in this regard?

I am not aware of a basic subscription, but it sounds like XM never switched off unit. Was
It activates prior to you owning it?

I found that my 496 kept providing weather for a long time after I discontinued the service (well, it discontinued itself, the credit card expired). The only way for the receiver to 'know' that it is not supposed to display the information is by downloading another token via the satelite datalink. Once it has that, it is good for a while. Did you just get this plane or do you own it since 2009 ? If you just bought it, it probably still runs on the token it had under the prior owners subscription. It'll eventually stop working.

I bought a used 496 and it provided weather until I (stupidly) subscribed to XM music, and then they shut down the "free" feed.

Which reminds me... anyone want to buy a 496 with gizmo panel mount, ram mount, antennas. the works? I'm on to 696 now so the 496 is ready for a new home.

I once 'suspended' my XM WX subscription for the Winter, then continued to receive it. I had an auto turn on set up for April, so I was billed again. When I had this free period I also got music along with it.

I once got cable for free for three years in an apartment. My general MO is to just let it be, no need to call anyone.

Back