How About........

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
.... all our PoA in Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Georgia, Alabama(??), Florida, and those "other" weather-hammered areas?
Y'all OK??? Check in. Keith? Ken? Roger? Kent? Ed? Jesse? Tony?

Maine is slated for six to ten" of snow, but it pales re the other spots around the USA.

HR

Last edited:
.... all our PoA in Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Georgia, Alabama(??), Florida, and those "other" weather-hammered areas?
Y'all OK??? Check in. Keith? Ken? Roger? Keith? Ed? Jesse? Tony?

Maine is slated for six to ten" of snow, but it pales re the other spots around the USA.

HR

I'm fine. Lots of snow. Getting to and from work these last few days has been interesting. Complete whiteout *IN TOWN* driving home last night. I was planning on driving to Oklahoma today. Pretty much every road that enters Iowa is closed. Most roads in Iowa are closed. I am currently crossing my fingers and hoping that they get I-35 under control in the next few hours. If that happens I will attempt to drive to Oklahoma.

It's been raining all morning here. Like Ken sez in another thread...gloomy. We had some lightning in the pre-dawn hours. We need the rain though.

Things are getting back to normal here in northeast WI. It was a big mess of wind-driven ice pellets, freezing rain, and snow. Our power went out after noon yesterday and didn't come back on until about 9:00 this morning. Ironically I had gone to a friend's house Wednesday planning to ride out the storm and hang out. I'm still here. I rented three movies and a video game, and we were all planning to make plenty of use of the TV, DVD player, XBOX 360, and Nintendo Wii. Instead it was board games, candlelight, dialup internet, and running out our laptop batteries! We ran a generator only for a little while yesterday. Glad the power's back on now.

I e-mailed the Iowa Department of Transportation. It's not looking very promising. I-35 sounds like a mess. This was their response:

The blizzard conditions will continue until 6 p.m. today, but high winds are expected until Saturday evening. The winds and blocked roads from abandoned vehicles and jackknifed semis are the challenges the DOT crews will be facing. The DOT will be out in full force today as long as progress can be made and conditions are safe.

In my best James Earl Jones

Snow does not concern me Admiral.

No power outages where I am. Roads were find yesterday as the temps stayed just above freezing. However, my road today was a glazed donut after the temperatures dropped, and I got to watch the guy in front of me crab up one of the hills on my way to work. Even going above 30mph with the 4WD engaged I could feel my truck on the edge of getting loose. So I just took it easy. I think there were only two smart people on my road today, myself - leaving a few hundred feet between myself and the care in front of me, and the guy behind me, who also left a few hundred feet between him and my bumper. In front was a huge line of cars, then a large gap, me, another gap, and then a huge line of cars.

university has its own power plant and buried lines (I think) so no worries of power outages. Lots of snow blowing around today, as jesse said, I35 north of Ames (Me) is closed to minnesota. I think I80 west of Des Moines is still closed too. I talked to Matt yesterday, so he's still alive. His place out in the country might lose power but he's got a Generator and a Fireplace. Im hoping that Leah can make it out here tonight but its not looking good...

Y'all OK??? Check in. Keith? Ken? Roger? Keith? Ed? Jesse? Tony?

It's not bad here. We got a bunch of snow, then some sleet, then some rain washed it off the roads before it started snowing again. Got maybe another 4" last night.

Leaving Wausau on Wednesday night, however, was a bit :hairraise:

And, for the record, I'm really glad I'm not working this weekend. :no: (I'm in a wedding, got home early Thursday morning.)

I e-mailed the Iowa Department of Transportation. It's not looking very promising. I-35 sounds like a mess. This was their response:

Don't do it, man. There's always next weekend.

They sent a message to the entire fleet about Iowa suckin'. Considering how few trucks we have going through Iowa, and how the company is a bunch of cheap bastards, that says a lot.

How cheap are they? It costs them a nickel per 100 characters to send a message to a truck, and they abbreviate the hell out of the directions to try to keep from spending an extra nickel.

"I39 2 X179 W 2 1SS TR 1SS TL PL ON L" or
"I90 X142 HY12 W 2 CR S TL 2RL TR XRR TL 2DW ON R"

It's worse than METARs!

If you look at the NWS radar out of DSM what you see is not precip but bands of blowing snow.

This was one awesome low pressure system. Not sure about records though I googled and found "the great storm of 1975" which had tornados down south and blizzards up here. Record low barometric readings were listed in southern MN of around 28.20 or so. I'm told yesterday afternoon Charles City Iowa hit 27.79 inches which is pretty dang low.

Driveway is blocked by a drift approximately 4 feet high by 20 feet long. Might have to call the neighbor to come with the end loader after it stops blowing. Never lost power which was kind of a let down as I'd just figured out how to hook the gen up to the main house box (thereby eliminating drop cords) right after the last storm.

Grabbed some movies along with groceries, gen fuel a couple days ago, including one I'd never noticed called Above and Beyond. It's a CBC TV mini 2 part series about the inception of WWII North Atlantic ferry flights. I must say it's pretty darn good. http://www.cbc.ca/aboveandbeyond/ A very compelling story that I knew little about. It's mostly the people side of the story with a bit of flying thrown in. If you can disregard the DC-3 Dakota with turbines in the backround of one shot it's very well done. The actor playing famous pilot Don Bennett is completely believable and led me to read up on the guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Bennett

The female lead is worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
This was one awesome low pressure system. Not sure about records though I googled and found "the great storm of 1975" which had tornados down south and blizzards up here. Record low barometric readings were listed in southern MN of around 28.20 or so. I'm told yesterday afternoon Charles City Iowa hit 27.79 inches which is pretty dang low.

Holy cow! :eek:

Lowest I'd ever heard at MSN before was 29.19. Last night when I looked it was 28.99, and it dropped to 28.85 overnight. We're back up to 29.05 now.

It only took 3 hours to drop from 29.57 to 29.43, and the drop from 29.32 to 29.22 took only an hour and a half.

The lowest pressure:
KMSN 020932Z 21008KT 1SM -SN BR OVC010 M01/M02 A2885 RMK AO2 CIG 009V014 P0001

Some of the more interesting ones:
KMSN 020553Z COR 16021G26KT 1 1/2SM -SN BLSN BKN010 OVC014 M00/M00 A2891 RMK AO2 PK WND 17026/0552 CIG 008V012 SLP795 4/008 P0001 60002 T10051005 10038 21006 400391139 56019

KMSN 012027Z 10013KT 3/4SM TSRA BR OVC005 02/02 A2908 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1 TSB26 PRESFR OCNL LTGCGIC OHD TS OHD MOV N P0007

Holy cow! :eek:

Lowest I'd ever heard at MSN before was 29.19. Last night when I looked it was 28.99, and it dropped to 28.85 overnight. We're back up to 29.05 now.

It only took 3 hours to drop from 29.57 to 29.43, and the drop from 29.32 to 29.22 took only an hour and a half.

The lowest pressure:
KMSN 020932Z 21008KT 1SM -SN BR OVC010 M01/M02 A2885 RMK AO2 CIG 009V014 P0001

Some of the more interesting ones:
KMSN 020553Z COR 16021G26KT 1 1/2SM -SN BLSN BKN010 OVC014 M00/M00 A2891 RMK AO2 PK WND 17026/0552 CIG 008V012 SLP795 4/008 P0001 60002 T10051005 10038 21006 400391139 56019

KMSN 012027Z 10013KT 3/4SM TSRA BR OVC005 02/02 A2908 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1 TSB26 PRESFR OCNL LTGCGIC OHD TS OHD MOV N P0007

Don't do it, man. There's always next weekend.

Anyone in Southern Minnesota - Keep your TVs tuned to the local news for any info on a crazy teenager in the ditch on I35 and the only extraction is by National Guard Helicopter.

I'll let you guys have your one cold thread without telling you how warm it is here.....

hey news has us above 40 all next week!

No snow where I'm at, but I worked trout opening the 28th and 1st and we had T-Storms with tornado warnings. We had to clear out the campgrounds and p***ed alot of fisherman off, tuff decision,get blown away or give up that perfect fishing spot.:rolleyes:

he is alive. In Ames, he made it through the trip down I35 with "Travel not advised" jeesh...

We got about 15" so far right on the MN/WI border (Hudson).
Plow crews have done great!

The snowmobilers who have had $10K paper weights sitting in their garages for the last 3 years (poor snow seasons) finally are out roaring around.

I am off to Wroclaw Poland tomorrow - I hope the weather is better there!
Looks like I will get out OK.
Eric
________
VAPIR ONE BAGS

Last edited:
Snow for the last 3 nights may have killed my sprouted peas just planted under solar sheeting. I'll know next week.

Back