How about this headset?

David Clark is a quality headset. I can't tell you if the price is good but $189 seems good. I think its important to know the model number though. David Clark makes helicopter headsets as well and you would not be happy spending $189 and ending up with a helicopter headset. You might also check with the classifieds over on AOPAs site

A quick Google on the part number shown in that Ebay listing (40596G-01) indicates it may be a military headset.

This datasheet shows it having only one plug-in connector with 5 contacts, not the two normally used for GA aircraft.

Good thing i asked. I don't like buying something unless i know everything about it, but I can't make sense of DC's model numbers. I'll keep poking around. In the meantime can anyone recommend a decent one? It doesnt have to be DC, andI'm not looking for ANC sets. Used is preferable due to price. I don't know why these things are so expensive.

I had a problem with my David Clark headset after owning it for several years. I took it to Marv Golden's flight shop at KMYF and they sent it off for repairs. It came back all fixed and working great. My cost......nada....nothing.....not one thin dime. I have not had a problem since.

David Clark and Marv Golden are great people to do business with, they look after their customers. Whatever you spend on a David Clark headset is well worth it down the road should anything go awry.

John

The choice of a headset is, IMHO, all about fit. What may work for me, may not work for you. See if you can try out a couple before the purchase. As far as DC's, I've owned two for 12+ years, work great for me, can't comment on DC's customer service as they have never needed service.

Gary

A good headset is some of the best money you can spend. You don't have to get a Zulu or Bose, but get something you'll enjoy using. It makes a huge difference.

On the other hand, an OK headset can always filter down to your passengers if you upgrade later. My David Clark is now the co-pilot set. I originally bought it off eBay and added an aftermarket ANR kit (soldered it in myself).

Good thing i asked. I don't like buying something unless i know everything about it, but I can't make sense of DC's model numbers. I'll keep poking around. In the meantime can anyone recommend a decent one? It doesnt have to be DC, andI'm not looking for ANC sets. Used is preferable due to price. I don't know why these things are so expensive.
Yeah, well, I think that seller was perhaps trying to be obtuse by listing the Part Number, rather than the typical H10-xx model number commonly used.

Yeah, well, I think that seller was perhaps trying to be obtuse by listing the Part Number, rather than the typical H10-xx model number commonly used.
Maybe.

But seeing how the seller is in Fayetteville, NC. a rather large military town and the seller is listing many military surplus items, I think he just had no idea of what it is he has. He saw the part number on something and went with it. The headset is a military headset and the seller likely acquired it from military sources along with other surplus equipment/items.

You can change the cordset on the H10-60. So, it might be a good deal if the eBay price plus the price of a cordset is less than what you can buy it from a regular discounter.

The choice of a headset is, IMHO, all about fit. What may work for me, may not work for you. See if you can try out a couple before the purchase. As far as DC's, I've owned two for 12+ years, work great for me, can't comment on DC's customer service as they have never needed service.

Gary

+1. David Clark headsets are great quality, but I've tried them and to me they feel like a vise on my head. To you they might be great.

What have you been using from the FBO? Do they fit? Do you like them? If so, try to find a pair of them on ebay.

I've got three pairs of different model AVCOMM headsets that I like fine. I bought one from my instructor when I was training, my wife bought one from him later as a Christmas present (better model) and I bought one off of ebay for a pasenger set. They're all fine, but I don't use them every day. I paid about $70 for the one I bought off of ebay and it was like new in the box.

John

Maybe.

But seeing how the seller is in Fayetteville, NC. a rather large military town and the seller is listing many military surplus items, I think he just had no idea of what it is he has. He saw the part number on something and went with it. The headset is a military headset and the seller likely acquired it from military sources along with other surplus equipment/items.

I stopped at part #. Good catch! :thumbsup:

What have you been using from the FBO? Do they fit? Do you like them? If so, try to find a pair of them on ebay.

I always try to use the same headset when i go because its the most comfortable, but I had to look through some pictures to see that it is Softcomm. All I know is that it is the most comfortable in their pile. I don't know anything about how well they last, but i do know that it needed some repair in the last year. I've never used a DC headset, and im not sure what the other brands they have in their selection.

I have the first Sigtronics I bought in 93. When I got my PP, I bought DavidClark 10-13X. Recently got a set of BOSE X (used,btw). BOSE is great quality but they charge a lot for it.
AOPA has Classified section which is pilots to pilots. That's where the BOSE came from.
The best way to pick a headset is to try them out. Find a pilots shop that will either let you try them in the shop or take them for a ride. With all the different styles, you may find one you like better than softcom. And I'd suggest you get noise canceling. The difference is amazing.

I would ask around locally if someone had headsets for sale. Over the years we have upgraded headsets and now have Lightspeed. We have two Telex that are just sitting on the shelf, they make great passenger headsets. I would part with mine for very minimal cost. You should be able to find the same deal locally.

My DC headset is older then I am and has flown a LOT of hours. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world but it doesn't let you down.

I wouldn't mind a Bose or a Zulu but neither will last as long as a simple passive DC headset.

In order to use a single plug unit in an airplane requires a $25 plug in adapter, not a big deal, and some older miltary units require exchanging for an electret mic, also not a big deal (I had to do both with my military surplus helicopter helmet). The thing I don't like about DC headsets is that I find them very uncomfortable. If you plan on continuing with flying, I suggest you go ahead and splurge on a good set. I like in ear like the Clarity Aloft and such, and if you want a set of cup style, it's hard to beat the Lightspeed Zulus. They are the most comfortable ear cup style I have used and the Bluetooth link to the phone is very nice as well. Lightspeed also makes some less expensive models, and their customer service is first rate. Peltor also makes nice lightweight and comfortable sets. Everytime I have worn DCs they have left me with a headache and caused me pinching and head top pain that was a distraction during flight. YMMV

I always try to use the same headset when i go because its the most comfortable, but I had to look through some pictures to see that it is Softcomm. All I know is that it is the most comfortable in their pile. I don't know anything about how well they last, but i do know that it needed some repair in the last year. I've never used a DC headset, and im not sure what the other brands they have in their selection.

I have a pair of Softcoms from 20 years ago floating around in my junk. It was the pair I bought when training and is now a spare set for Pax. The still work and I've replaced the Gel ear cup seals once or twice over the years. They are much more comfortable to me than the DCs, but not near as comfortable as Lightspeeds or Peltors.

You can change the cordset on the H10-60. So, it might be a good deal if the eBay price plus the price of a cordset is less than what you can buy it from a regular discounter.

I just went with the plug and play adapter cord especially since most Air Tractors use a single/helicopter style plug.

I'd like to assemble one of the Clarity Aloft style headsets. I've seen a couple of links that others have provided on how to do it, but curious if anyone has field experience using the homemade versions and how do they like them.

Back