How about some thundersnow...in Louisiana?

scottd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scottd

Attachments

• Vaisala-Lightning-Map.gif
    Vaisala-Lightning-Map.gif
    176.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Deep-South-Snow.gif
    Deep-South-Snow.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
If you think it's bad in the air....trying driving around here on the ground.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20081211/NEWS/81211006&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Wife called from New Orleans this morning reporting snow downtown.

Tomorrow should be much better, if not a bit nippy.

Mppph... *chuckle* I always get a kick out of these stories. If we stayed home in that crap, I'd be housebound until about May. :rofl:

Here's a shot in front of my sister's house southeast of Houston last night:

web.jpg

Nice that you find this amusing.

I was expecting a guffaw from someone that doesn't live here. This area can't afford to own and maintain the equipment needed to address road conditions that occur so infrequently. I could probably thrown in few youtube videos of wx related vehicles incidents from other areas of the country if I was so inclined to provide evidence that stupid drivers can be found anywhere.

It's all about resource management and risk aversion.

Mppph... *chuckle* I always get a kick out of these stories. If we stayed home in that crap, I'd be housebound until about May. :rofl:

Here's a shot in front of my sister's house southeast of Houston last night:

web.jpg

I was expecting a guffaw from someone that doesn't live here. This area can't afford to own and maintain the equipment needed to address road conditions that occur so infrequently. I could probably thrown in few youtube videos of wx related vehicles incidents from other areas of the country if I was so inclined to provide evidence that stupid drivers can be found anywhere.

Steve,

I agree. Most stupid drivers live in Chicago. :rofl: But they are everywhere - What I find amusing is not that you don't have the equipment (it's not cost-effective, obviously), but that people seem to go out and drive in that stuff completely oblivious to the fact that it's slippery. As rare as snow is there, I'd expect most people to have gotten a chance to see it, run around in it, and fall on their butt by the time they hit driving age. :dunno:

It's all about resource management and risk aversion.

Interesting that you say that. One of the things I've noticed after moving from Minnesota to Nebraska is the lack of equipment here. In Minnesota, when the snow started to fall, MnDOT had plows everywhere you looked, if it was a road in town or a major highway they'd run plows non-stop over it.

In Nebraska--the snow is more rare and less severe. But there is a major lack of snow removal capacity. It this were Minnesota MnDOT would have all this crap cleaned up by now--but the roads around here are still marginal.

I've never let a snow storm stop me from driving. Stupid? Probably..but I've driven through enough crap that I can generally find my way through about any storm.

The scariest snow storm I ever drove through was on I-35 between Albert Lea, MN and Des Moines, IA. Wide open area--wind causes major whiteout. They had the interstate closed but I was already on it so I just kept driving. That said, I questioned my decision half way through Iowa when I heard on the radio that tow trucks were not allowed and if you got stuck it'd take 8 hours for the national guard to rescue you. Nothing like losing your traction and having the wind push you sideways from one land into the other. You just hope the wind quits before you go off the edge. I remember counting the number of cars I saw go in the ditch. I quit counting after about 40. Everyone gets in a pack and sometimes you'll see an entire pack of cars in front of you start spinning and off they go.

I hate winter.

In Nebraska--the snow is more rare and less severe. But there is a major lack of snow removal capacity. It this were Minnesota MnDOT would have all this crap cleaned up by now--but the roads around here are still marginal.

I think when you get into the more sparsely populated areas, it's not only a matter of equipment, it's also a matter of people to run the equipment. That's why Wyoming has all the systems in place to easily shut down any segment of their interstates.

I've never let a snow storm stop me from driving. Stupid? Probably..but I've driven through enough crap that I can generally find my way through about any storm.

Stupid? Maybe - But fun, too. :yes:

The scariest snow storm I ever drove through was on I-35 between Albert Lea, MN and Des Moines, IA. Wide open area--wind causes major whiteout. They had the interstate closed but I was already on it so I just kept driving. That said, I questioned my decision half way through Iowa when I heard on the radio that tow trucks were not allowed and if you got stuck it'd take 8 hours for the national guard to rescue you. Nothing like losing your traction and having the wind push you sideways from one land into the other. You just hope the wind quits before you go off the edge. I remember counting the number of cars I saw go in the ditch. I quit counting after about 40. Everyone gets in a pack and sometimes you'll see an entire pack of cars in front of you start spinning and off they go.

I drove up that stretch one snowy, very windy winter night in the truck. I was headed north, and I ended up riding in the left lane the entire time. Why? It was so windy that the small crown in the road made a difference - In the left lane, I was tilted slightly into the wind, and not quite as close to the edge of getting tipped over. Whee! :yikes:

A certain Rev. will be along shortly to tell you that unless you live in Chi-town you can't possible know how stupid the drivers are. :rofl:

No he won't - He knows I'm right. :yes: :D

And I've driven through Chicago more than enough times for one lifetime! Ugh.

Back