Hovering Carbon Cub. Huh?

That happens when your AOA exceeds the pitot tubes max effective angle.

Hadn't considered that. I'd be interested to see the KIAS to KCAS table for a carbon cub (if one exists).

I'd be interested to see the KIAS to KCAS table for a carbon cub (if one exists).
It exists, but it doesn't go all the way to zero.

CC11-160_ASI.jpg

Vs0 (power-off) on the CC11 Sport Cub and Carbon Cub is 32 mph (29 KIAS). I've had my ASI down as low as 26 mph in power-on level flight without trying real hard.

P1070036.JPG

Have to go easy here because I've met his widow, but...

Max performance takeoff in a CC on a gusty blustery day killed one of the dealers/demo pilots and a Girl Scout leader.

Final's not out yet, but the Factual report is. Pilot error. Pete shouldn't have been horsing around that hard that day, apparently. Wasn't medical, wasn't mechanical.

They'll fly really really slow. Fun airplane. I'm sure I'd have a ball in a CC once I had a tailwheel endorsement. I love slow.

Not so fun.. dying showing off a really slow climb on a gusty day. The back side of the power curve can bite hard at low altitude.

RIP Pete.

Have to go easy here because I've met his widow, but...

Max performance takeoff in a CC on a gusty blustery day killed one of the dealers/demo pilots and a Girl Scout leader.

Final's not out yet, but the Factual report is. Pilot error. Pete shouldn't have been horsing around that hard that day, apparently. Wasn't medical, wasn't mechanical.

They'll fly really really slow. Fun airplane. I'm sure I'd have a ball in a CC once I had a tailwheel endorsement. I love slow.

Not so fun.. dying showing off a really slow climb on a gusty day. The back side of the power curve can bite hard at low altitude.

RIP Pete.

Very sad.

I landed an F19 Taylorcraft backwards once, airspeed didn't read zero however. It read 45mph just before touchdown. Pretty good headwind at the Nut Tree airport which wasn't all that uncommon.....

Frank

Back