Houston GA airports?

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
I am going to be flying to Houston on January 13th to take my neighbor to MD Anderson hospital. She was diagnosed with Colon Cancer almost a year ago and got a clean bill of health a couple months ago, but she still needs to do tests (I assume to see if the cancer came back or not) She asked my mom to drive her, adn then my mom asked if I could fly them (A 1.5 hour flight beats the crap out of a 4 hour drive) My mom would rent a car and they would drive to the hospital. (I guess I would go too.)

So which airport would be the best choice? I was thinking Pearland, but I figured soem of yall would have a better idea.

I flew into Sugarland last summer and was very happy with the service and facilities. It is pretty easy to get into the medical center from there. From there I flew up your way, to Kerrville.

Wells

Your pax will be more comfortable landing at a "bigger" airport than Pearland. Hobby would actually be closest to the Med Center, but it's going to be the most expensive option. I think Sugarland or West Houston would be your best bets--both have FBOs that service bizjet customers and thus will be comfortable/comforting to your pax.

I have not landed at West Houston, but I have landed at Sugarland. Despite being the only Cherokee on the ramp (I was surrounded by Citations, King Airs, and a couple of Piaggio Avantis), the line guys there were as friendly and courteous as if I'd pulled up in a G-V (maybe moreso!). The terminal building is only a few years old, and is very nice, with limestone facade, exposed wood beam ceilings, nice furniture, etc. I met a couple of friends there for a short visit some months ago, and we were very comfortable off in a corner in the overstuffed leather furniture as we chatted.

I think you and your pax would have a favorable experience landing there.

Last edited:
And you didn't just call me because???

EFD would be a great choice. I happen to like the Dutch Wings gift shop at Houston Southwest, and if you are corporate, the Sugarland FBO's area for corporate pilots is REALLY nice... I'd probably stick with EFD for your mission.

Ryan

Ryan

David:

For Texas Medical Center (at which M. D. Anderson is located), I would certainly choose Hobby (KHOU), and I have absolute confidence you'd be fine flying there. It is a busy airport, but extremely GA-friendly, and you could while away the time, while your mom and friend go to the hospital, at the 1940 Air Terminal Museum.

EFD is a great field, but it's a fair-piece farther away, and those distances in Houston traffic are legitimate concern.

We have peeps there, you know. PJ Gustafson is at the museum, and others as well.

I'd seriously consider Hobby, it was me.

My brother is checking out an employer in Katy... So I'm checking out airports nearby. Anything to share on Houston Executive (KTME)?

David:

For Texas Medical Center (at which M. D. Anderson is located), I would certainly choose Hobby (KHOU), and I have absolute confidence you'd be fine flying there. It is a busy airport, but extremely GA-friendly, and you could while away the time, while your mom and friend go to the hospital, at the 1940 Air Terminal Museum.

EFD is a great field, but it's a fair-piece farther away, and those distances in Houston traffic are legitimate concern.

We have peeps there, you know. PJ Gustafson is at the museum, and others as well.

I'd seriously consider Hobby, it was me.
That's true, but there are a lot of interesting things to see at EFD, too... Not the least of which is the Texas Flying Legends Museum.

Ryan

My brother is checking out an employer in Katy... So I'm checking out airports nearby. Anything to share on Houston Executive (KTME)?

Mike, I have not been there, but it is owned and operated by the same folks who just finished Austin Executive (KEDC), and based upon my several experiences there, I'd expect nothing less than perfection from KTME. Seriously. The treatment at Austin Executive was by far the best I have ever experienced.

EFD, SGR or IWS are all decent for the mission. Hobby will be a bit pricey but is the closest. EFD adds only 10 minutes to the drive in zero traffic conditions. Call ahead and set up a rental car for EFD. It's much cheaper than a cab. Houston freeways can be ugly.

For an out of towner, the easiest way into EFD VFR from the west is to take the VFR corridor just north of I-10. Expect to be descended below 2000 ft to remain below class B. Once you clear the East side its a turn due south that is nearly a straight shot onto 17R. Remain north of I-10 until you turn south. Remain East of the Beltway/ship channel bridge once you do turn south. Flight following is helpful. If you come IFR and its not visual conditions expect to get vectored all over the south side.

EFD's ground route into town tends to be the least ugly of the options. There is a carpool lane that starts at EFD's freeway access that bypasses much of the ugly, and spits you out downtown, a few easy miles and literally 3 turns from MDACC. Contact me for further on this.

For what you are considering for this mission, mainly due to ground travel, Weiser and Hooks are poor options for you.

Pearland is a good GA field but not good access to freeways, minimal FBO support, and not sure if they have a car rental agreement. Transients into Pearland usually have friends pick them up.

Cheapest fuel around is usually at Anahuac. county owned. Minimal markup. If you are coming from the north it's worth the detour a few miles east. If from west or southwest not so much.

This is my backyard, and EFD is my "home field" even though I am inactive. I also know my way around the med center. Im 95% sure I already know what building shes going to and which garage you need to park in. Contact me by PM if you need a local contact.

Last edited:

It's new. Nice looking. Haven't flown in and I've been by a few times. They are looking to be a corporate destination.

Houston freeways can be ugly.

Can be? :rolleyes:

I spent a couple of years in Houston in the late '90s when I was with O'Reilly & we bought out Hi-Lo. They were headquartered near Hobby. Houston traffic was "interesting" to say the least.

And you didn't just call me because???

He wanted the opinions of others?

The only Houston-area airports I have experience flying into are CXO and EFD. Both I have been very happy with. The guys at CXO tower are awesome people (not to mention the FBO staff). EFD has treated me very well, too.

Can be? :rolleyes:

I spent a couple of years in Houston in the late '90s when I was with O'Reilly & we bought out Hi-Lo. They were headquartered near Hobby. Houston traffic was "interesting" to say the least.

"can be" takes into account time of day and where you are going. You couldn't pay me to live in a free house out the NW side. Their freeway commute is 90 mins 30 miles each way in a good day. And it's rarely a good day.

David, I'm not sure if you've been to Houston before. It's a huge city and the traffic sucks. I'm guessing you're going to MD Anderson in the Medical Center?

All the airports mentioned are great but I would Google the drive distances. CXO is in Conroe, TME is in Katy, SGR is in Sugarland. With no traffic (yeah right) you're looking at a 40 minute drive minimum. Pearland (my home field) and EFD are okay and a little closer. I'd look at Houston Southwest - AXH if you don't want to drive too far.

"can be" takes into account time of day and where you are going. You couldn't pay me to live in a free house out the NW side. Their freeway commute is 90 mins 30 miles each way in a good day. And it's rarely a good day.

One of my reports lived in The Woodlands and commuted to/from hobby every day. I'm with you...there ain't enough money out there to get me to do that every day.

I think PJ has slowed his work at the 1940s Air Terminal Museum lately. Or he had last time I talked to him.

He was busy with all that being newly married stuff. It'll ruin a guy. ;)

(Kidding. I've met his lovely bride and they're a great couple.)

One of my reports lived in The Woodlands and commuted to/from hobby every day. I'm with you...there ain't enough money out there to get me to do that every day.

My folks lived in the Woodlands for a few years. Only place that reminded them even slightly of Colorado. ;)

That commute into Downtown blows. Bad. Great if you work at that giant former Compaq (now HP) facility up there though.

Hooks (KDWH) is a nice airport though. That's where I landed the two times I flew down there to visit.

Fuel stop at Sheppard AFB on the municipal side (Wichita Falls - KSPS) works out nice from Denver and you get to play with F-16s in the pattern.

Military controllers are great. Me in a Skyhawk...

"Fly to the water tower and remain West of the Runway 15 taxiway centerline, if you can make that turn for right base, Check gear down, cleared to land Runway 17. Caution F-16 traffic landing runway 15, numerous F-16s in the pattern."

"Gear down and welded, cleared to land Runway 17."

Fun. Yee haw.

I think PJ has slowed his work at the 1940s Air Terminal Museum lately. Or he had last time I talked to him.

He was busy with all that being newly married stuff. It'll ruin a guy. ;)

(Kidding. I've met his lovely bride and they're a great couple.)

as Gleb Djurjinsky says in the Sunship Game while talking about his in process divorce, his kids, and soaring. "You just can't let stuff like that distract you from what you SHOULD be thinking about"

I have flown many times into Hobby, Sugarland, Ellington and West Houston. All are great airports.

If I was going to MD Anderson, I would want the trip to be smooth and comfortable without dealing with the traffic. Because of that, I would choose Hobby. I always park at Million Air and their service is great. Fuel is expensive, but the convenience is worth it. I have always been surprised that flying into Hobby is so easy. I get fairly direct routings from the NW side of town -- unlike Love or Addison where I always get vectored around for 30 minutes.

I also think Sugarland and West Houston are great. Currently, I use West Houston because it is closest to my Houston office. I always liked the service and country club atmosphere at Sugarland. I have kept cars at both and choose to fly into the one that is best for logistics.

For downtown meetings I think Hobby is the best. The medical center is even closer to Hobby than downtown. I think you will think it is worth the money -- especially when your passenger is fighting cancer. Having a stress free trip will make the experience much more pleasant.

I have many friends that have been cured of cancer at MD Anderson. It is a wonderful place and worth the effort.

I flew into Hobby a couple years ago, pretty GA friendly, as others have said, not cheap. For what you're doing, and I think it's great to help out anyone, especially for cancer treatments, convenience for the passenger outweighs an extra $20-30.00 for fuel. ;)

Back