Houston area recommendation?

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
May have to go to Houston later this week. Probably have to aluminum tube it but there is a chance I can spam can it. What's a good place to park overnight and pick up a rental car?

Depends what part of Houston you need to visit. You'll find everything you need at Hooks DWH, rental cars and even a restaurant on the field. It's on the north west side of town.

Depends what part of Houston you need to visit. You'll find everything you need at Hooks DWH, rental cars and even a restaurant on the field. It's on the north west side of town.

Meetings will be downtown.

Looks like DWH or SGR could work. Gas prices are similar with DWH having a small advantage at the self-serve.

Can't comment on SGR, never been there. DWH is great. Problem there will be, that commute into Downtown if you're doing it during normal rush hour will reeeeeeealy suck. Take I-25 here and multiply it by 10x for extra distance and more traffic.

Can't comment on SGR, never been there. DWH is great. Problem there will be, that commute into Downtown if you're doing it during normal rush hour will reeeeeeealy suck. Take I-25 here and multiply it by 10x for extra distance and more traffic.

Used to live in Houston so familiar with traffic. I should arrive after rush, prolly wait 'til Saturday to depart if I'm in the 'kota. Never know though - a night flight across Texas might be just the ticket... no wind is 5.5 hours - do-able in the 'kota...prolly have a fuel stop on way back. Looks like no-man's land: southwest Oklahoma or Texas panhandle.

Used to live in Houston so familiar with traffic. I should arrive after rush, prolly wait 'til Saturday to depart if I'm in the 'kota. Never know though - a night flight across Texas might be just the ticket... no wind is 5.5 hours - do-able in the 'kota...prolly have a fuel stop on way back. Looks like no-man's land: southwest Oklahoma or Texas panhandle.
TacAir at KAMA is (or was) open 24 hours...

I've been to KSGR a few times and I thought it was fine but I've never even driven off the airport. I've never been to KDWH, that I remember anyway.

When I have business downtown, I use Hobby (KHOU). Yes, it is an air carrier airport, but Houston controllers are usually very good and professional, and I have lays been treated well at the FBOs there, as well.

Hobby can handle GA. Couple FBOs. Next closest in is Ellington. Big but not busy. Some mil and NASA traffic. Two FBO's. Can arrange cars.

SGR or West Houston are next in that order.

DWH is a good field but very inconvenient to downtown.

I've flown out of every field there. I'd go with EFD first for price/convenience. Second would be SGR. This also takes traffic into account.

I flew into SGR last summer and was very happy with the FBO--reasonable prices, great building, good services.

Wells

What about West Houston KIWS? I haven't been there but I think it is not far off I-10, just east of Katy, and I've heard good things about it.

Any experience with La Porte (T41)? Looks like cheap gas an about the same distance from downtown as HOU and EFD.

What about West Houston KIWS? I haven't been there but I think it is not far off I-10, just east of Katy, and I've heard good things about it.

West Houston is an outstanding field, great service ad easy in / out (ESP. from the north), but it is not most convenient for downtown access.

looks like it's going to be EFD. The guys at T41 didn't answer the phone so the big shop gets at least some of the business. Weather looks decent, prolly bumpy with a broken layer to penetrate. Oh well, should be mostly smooth on the way down at 15K or so.

Any experience with La Porte (T41)? Looks like cheap gas an about the same distance from downtown as HOU and EFD.
T41 is my home field, and I'm sorry to say it's not real friendly for transients. I'd recommend EFD, instead.

T41 is a small quiet strip... a few flight schools. No real services. No public transportation. No rental cars. If you can get a taxi it will end up costing you more than landing closer in.. Stop in for fuel if you want.. (or refuel at Chambers County in Anahuac)...

T41 is a small quiet strip... a few flight schools. No real services. No public transportation. No rental cars. If you can get a taxi it will end up costing you more than landing closer in.. Stop in for fuel if you want.. (or refuel at Chambers County in Anahuac)...
Baytown (KHPY) also has good fuel prices, and friendly line guys.

Heh. He's been down there for days now.

I'm sure he'll post a PIREP when he's back. ;)

Pretty decent weather when he left.

Should have been a pretty nice flight in the Frankenkota. I'm jealous. ;)

Heh. He's been down there for days now.

I'm sure he'll post a PIREP when he's back. ;)

Pretty decent weather when he left.

Should have been a pretty nice flight in the Frankenkota. I'm jealous. ;)

Everything was fine and dandy right up to the moment the magneto went to lunch...ATC asked the SOB and fuel remaining questions after I mentioned that I had a little problem. I made it to Mexia after trying to get to Waco.Turned out that Mexia is a better choice anyway. Trim Air will take very good care of a broken airplane. Thanks Buddy.

Sorry she broke!

If you see the Beech 18 in the shop there, tell her "Hello."

Good folks at Mexia.

Sorry she broke!

If you see the Beech 18 in the shop there, tell her "Hello."

Good folks at Mexia.

Very good folks at Mexia. Rebuilt the mag on a Saturday afternoon and got me on my way. Saw the 18 in the shop, saw the Javelin P210 parts after someone tried to play lumberjack, saw the amphib bi-plane, saw a couple King Airs, saw more airplane parts than in all of Wichita (just about). The owner himself came out and fixed my plane. I did fetch everybody lunch but that hardly counts under these circumstances.

As for the mag, it was right at 500 hours. The coil was the only really bad part - it looked like it got hot around the middle. The brush spring was partially collapsed and may have contributed. Points and bearing looked new. Anyway, new coil and brush (along with new seal and cleaned & re-packed bearing) and away I went. Yesterday was a little bumpy north of Dallas but nothing special.

The Houston story: went to EFD and was quite happy with hospitality. I think the EFD tower crew needs more caffeine. The controller seemed rather slow to respond when picking up my clearance and then totally missed that I skipped the altitude on the readback. Overall, not much happening at the field. Some military equipment setting around. The "Fighter Pilot for a Day" crew was at the FBO Saturday morning.

Getting into EFD IFR was a bit of a pain since the STAR goes to Hobby. Still, I'd rather fly around southwest Houston than drive. I was stuck in a broken layer that was just a tad bouncy when IMC. Seemed like the typical Gulf Coast stuff I've experienced but there was no way out of this since the bases were below 2,000' and MVA was 2,200.

Getting out of EFD was better. They sent me northeast of IAH which seemed quicker than the southwest Houston tour on the way in. The bouncy broken layer was worse but I just cinched the seatbelt tighter and controlled airspeed best I could.

Everything was fine and dandy until the mag said that it had had enough about an hour into the flight. I was diagnosing and figuring the divert when center handed me to Waco approach. Waco was the nearest class D so I told them where I was going and why. Another controller came on and asked what was wrong then obviously declared for me and asked the SOB & fuel questions. The mag hadn't totally failed yet so all I knew was that I had a problem with one mag. About 30 miles out of Waco and setting up for the ILS the mag quit, turbo temps went bonkers and I got serious about nearest airport. I thought I'd be out of luck going into a little strip without even an AWOS but I really hit the jackpot in terms of a maintenance facility.

ATC asked the SOB and fuel remaining questions after I mentioned that I had a little problem.
Hate when that happens...

Glad it worked out and you ended up at a place that got you on your way without too much fuss.

Back