Houston Area Pilots...WTH?

Regarding Amelia's Landing being a pilots paradise... the artwork was a nice touch, but my one visit there left my fiancee so overly unimpressed at the small rooms we wont be back... I guess thats my fault by spoiling her on Marriott chain hotels the rest of the time...

lol That's what happens when you ask for the cheapest room. You get...the cheapest room.

We have rooms for all budgets. ;)

Oh, and how was the Marriott's courtesy car for pilots? Was it a Lexus that they let you drive all over for free? And I'd love to hear about their delivered to the room breakfast.

What? They offer none of that? Sorry! :)

Last edited:
lol That's what happens when you ask for the cheapest room. You get...the cheapest room.

We have rooms for all budgets. ;)

Oh, and how was the Marriott's courtesy car for pilots? Was it a Lexus that they let you drive all over for free? And I'd love to hear about their delivered to the room breakfast.

What? They offer none of that? Sorry! :)

C'mon Man... You can't please everybody. Take the high road.

Regarding the runway café, I told you months ago, I'd go in, and I have a couple of times. Food is better than it was, I like the shrimp and some of the specials are good. I do not like the gumbo at all. Just not my thing.

I'll go back, but I don't fly at night. Just don't want to do that. So dinner isn't important to me.

We'll get down to your hotel one day and the courtesy car is nice, but Jay, understand, an aviation themed hotel will be GREAT for me, but for the missus? Not so much. She'll go to support me, but yes, she'll pine for the Marriott and a nice massage table. Nothing wrong with that. Also nothing wrong with calling Uber from the airport either!

We'll get down to your hotel one day and the courtesy car is nice, but Jay, understand, an aviation themed hotel will be GREAT for me, but for the missus? Not so much. She'll go to support me, but yes, she'll pine for the Marriott and a nice massage table. Nothing wrong with that. Also nothing wrong with calling Uber from the airport either!

The aviation theme hooks the guys.

Breakfast in bed -- a service we provide to all of our guests, every day (even when they ask for the cheapest room!) hooks the chicks. :)

Well, that, and the pool, hot tub, free movies, free car, pillow top beds, everything within walking distance, 15 miles of white sand beach, 18 bars and restaurants nearby, nearly perfect weather, the best seafood on the planet, and service that money can't buy. That helps, too.

We absolutely love this island you will, too! :)

The aviation theme hooks the guys.

Breakfast in bed -- a service we provide to all of our guests, every day (even when they ask for the cheapest room!) hooks the chicks. :)

Well, that, and the pool, hot tub, free movies, free car, pillow top beds, everything within walking distance, 15 miles of white sand beach, 18 bars and restaurants nearby, nearly perfect weather, the best seafood on the planet, and service that money can't buy. That helps, too.

We absolutely love this island you will, too! :)

Been to your place once (and have the coffee cup to prove it!) and loved it. So did my wife. One of the great things about your place is that it is not a chain hotel. You nailed your assessment about the aviation theme. I thought it was cool and my wife just loved the delivered breakfast.
We were there the weekend the Blue Angels were in town. Unfortunately the weather kept them grounded.

By the way, we drove in rather than fly. Just love the coastal drive. Picked up some shrimp right off the boat in Rockport. We will be back!

Jay - I reread my post and see that it could be read to mean that I disagree with the policies. That was not my intention and I'm quite happy with how we resolved things.

I only wanted to convey that is harder to do a spur of the moment visit, not that I will not visit.

Much like Jay; I go out of my way to support aviation themed enterprises (especially restaurants on airports) and I will generally give more than a second or third chance for a "bad day."
I've been down to LBX a few times since Mr. Wu opened up and I've been pleased with the food, service, and overall atmosphere. In my conversations with Mr. Wu, he is no airport restaurant dummy; he realizes that the only way to be successful is to fill the restaurant with non-flying locals. The expectation that aviators will sustain him is unrealistic and I got the impression that he knows this.... Hopefully he builds a good following with the working lunch crowd enough to keep us with a great place to fly for a good meal whenever the mood strikes us (and the weather holds out).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's lots of reasons for the cheapest room at Amelia's:
-I'm a last minute booker and the room I was given was the only room left
-we travel with the dog and the pets allowed room is usually the oldest/cheapest
-with all the things to do on the island, why pay more when I'll only be in the room a few hours?
-staying in that room saves me a little money for a avgas and more nights

So stop harping about the budget option at your own place as if it's a bad thing. Like another poster said, better to take the high road.
I've flown in, stayed at the hotel a few nights, had a great time on the island and will definitely go back. It's a great location and an OK price considering distance from the seashore.

Last edited:
-we travel with the dog and the pets allowed room is usually the oldest/cheapest

Something new to report, since your last visit: Our pet-friendly rooms are now actually our newest/best rooms! They were the last ones I renovated last spring, wrapping up our 5-year project.

Every room in the hotel has now been completely renovated. :)

Much like Jay; I go out of my way to support aviation themed enterprises (especially restaurants on airports) and I will generally give more than a second or third chance for a "bad day."
I've been down to LBX a few times since Mr. Wu opened up and I've been pleased with the food, service, and overall atmosphere. In my conversations with Mr. Wu, he is no airport restaurant dummy; he realizes that the only way to be successful is to fill the restaurant with non-flying locals. The expectation that aviators will sustain him is unrealistic and I got the impression that he knows this.... Hopefully he builds a good following with the working lunch crowd enough to keep us with a great place to fly for a good meal whenever the mood strikes us (and the weather holds out).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, and in my previous thread about LBX I mentioned this exact, same thing.

I don't mean to imply that Mr. Wu can or should survive solely on fly-in business -- no one can do that. (As a data point, fly-in business represents <5% of our total business.)

But what he does need is enough of us to fly in (and taxi up to the windows) to entice all the ground pounders. He needs a certain "critical mass" of pilots -- say, 2 planes an hour -- to be able to hold their interest.

When we go there, for example, we make a big deal out of inviting kids out to see the plane. This helps us promote our business -- and helps Mr. Wu's ability to attract customers out to the airport. Hopefully, those kids will be talking about the Runway Cafe for days, after sitting in our cockpit and playing pilot!

All I'm saying is Houston has enough GA pilots (on paper, anyway) to make the Runway Cafe successful.

Here's an example, from Mr. Wu's grand opening:

b5209f1e38dd14469e7d5aba20662b04.jpg

By the way, there's another new restaurant at Stinson Field in San Antonio that also deserves our support. Here's a pic we took at THEIR grand opening:

ff2207337108a8c8878e2be988e46d29.jpg

Just a note to let everyone know a new diner opened up within walking distance from the Cameron, TX airport. (T35)

I have not tried it yet so don't draw and quarter me if it's bad.

Something new to report, since your last visit: Our pet-friendly rooms are now actually our newest/best rooms! They were the last ones I renovated last spring, wrapping up our 5-year project.

Every room in the hotel has now been completely renovated. :)

That's excellent news!
Planning a Nov or Dec weekend return visit.

Just a note to let everyone know a new diner opened up within walking distance from the Cameron, TX airport. (T35)

178 nm from my home 'drome.

What's it called?

3162789bbc9076fc26f557a25100ffac.jpg

178 nm from my home 'drome.

What's it called?

3162789bbc9076fc26f557a25100ffac.jpg

It's called the Fifty's café. Here's their facebook. :)

I have a question posed on their page asking if they'll shuttle to the airport that they haven't answered yet.

If not, it's about a three block walk I'd say.

But airport businesses are different, IMHO. Anyone crazy to enough to cater to us pilots deserves second, third, even fourth chances.

I gotta disagree here. If they serve me bad once, they may get a 2nd chance. After that it's over. They had two opportunities to earn my business and blew it.

Maybe it's different here in Florida. We have about 5 airport restaurants we frequent. At least one time per week we're at one of them. It used to be 6. I won't mention the name or the airport but it's in the Orlando vicinity.

They gave us bad service two times. I won't be returning...

I gotta disagree here. If they serve me bad once, they may get a 2nd chance. After that it's over. They had two opportunities to earn my business and blew it.

Maybe it's different here in Florida. We have about 5 airport restaurants we frequent. At least one time per week we're at one of them. It used to be 6. I won't mention the name or the airport but it's in the Orlando vicinity.

They gave us bad service two times. I won't be returning...
If we had a plethora of choices, I'd be right there with you. I'd be picky.

Here in South Texas, however, despite GA being relatively healthy, we are facing a shortage of on-airport food. There is a new one in San Antonio (SSF-Stinson Field), one at Brenham (11R), one at Conroe (CXO) and the new Runway Cafe at LBX.

There are *some* airports with food nearby. McAllen (MFE) has several good restaurants within easy walking distance. Little unattended Kenedy (2R9) has a couple of joints within distant walking distance. Here in Port Aransas, we have one fairly pathetic restaurant within distant walking distance, and a whole bunch of great restaurants 2 miles away.

That's about it, in an area the size of all of Florida. We need to better support these entrepreneurs.

Here in South Texas, however, despite GA being relatively healthy, we are facing a shortage of on-airport food. There is a new one in San Antonio (SSF-Stinson Field), one at Brenham (11R), one at Conroe (CXO) and the new Runway Cafe at LBX.

There are *some* airports with food nearby. McAllen (MFE) has several good restaurants within easy walking distance. Little unattended Kenedy (2R9) has a couple of joints within distant walking distance. Here in Port Aransas, we have one fairly pathetic restaurant within distant walking distance, and a whole bunch of great restaurants 2 miles away.

That's about it, in an area the size of all of Florida. We need to better support these entrepreneurs.

All good points. IN either case if i got out that way much I'd certainly check it out. I am planning a trip towards Dallas at some point next month. I may even come down there and check out your hotel. I hear nothing but good about it :)

All good points. IN either case if i got out that way much I'd certainly check it out. I am planning a trip towards Dallas at some point next month. I may even come down there and check out your hotel. I hear nothing but good about it :)
Cool! Just don't be surprised when you discover that Dallas is no where near Port Aransas. I mean, it's, like, 8 hours away, at highway speeds!

Texas is a shockingly big state. :)

It's called the Fifty's café. Here's their facebook. :)

I have a question posed on their page asking if they'll shuttle to the airport that they haven't answered yet.

If not, it's about a three block walk I'd say.

That's pretty dang close, I'd like to try it out.
What are their hours on weekdays and weekends? And selection?
Or do they maybe have a real webpage?
We should do a PoA fly-in, draw lots of the TX folks out on a gorgeous week.
I'll start a new thread.

That's pretty dang close, I'd like to try it out.
What are their hours on weekdays and weekends? And selection?
Or do they maybe have a real webpage?
We should do a PoA fly-in, draw lots of the TX folks out on a gorgeous week.
I'll start a new thread.
The link doesn't work, and a quick search of Facebook brings up nothing.

They still run the free shuttle at Port A?

Also, KDWH and KEYQ (although technically you walk through the gate and into the BBQ place) in Houston. Also KLFK (Lufkin) if you want to go abut further past your Conroe range.

Also, KDWH and KEYQ (although technically you walk through the gate and into the BBQ place) in Houston. Also KLFK (Lufkin) if you want to go abut further past your Conroe range.

Sometimes you have to adapt with the times. For a mere $10-$15 you can summon an Uber to take you to a plethora of fine eating establishments. Once you realize that, your options expand immensely. In the Houston area Uber now is available to beyond the Bravo outer ring... I don't live in Houston but fly there often KDWH, KIWS, KHOU, KTME, etc. There is no shortage of excellent places to eat within minutes of landing.

Why eat a greasy burger on the field if you can get a meal fit for foodies? Pull out your smartphone and your Uber app and you're set!

:D

Let's support this guy. The food and service are great! :)

We've supported several here at ALN (St Louis Regional) that didn't last. Finally have one that I believe will stick. Run by a local family who've had a successful Italian restaurant in the area since the 1950's. The drive in crowd is essential, but the pilots I hear asking directions to restaurant is increasing. Awesome to see seven out of town planes there this past Sunday afternoon. https://highflyersgrille.wordpress.com/

Sometimes you have to adapt with the times. For a mere $10-$15 you can summon an Uber to take you to a plethora of fine eating establishments. Once you realize that, your options expand immensely. In the Houston area Uber now is available to beyond the Bravo outer ring... I don't live in Houston but fly there often KDWH, KIWS, KHOU, KTME, etc. There is no shortage of excellent places to eat within minutes of landing.

Why eat a greasy burger on the field if you can get a meal fit for foodies? Pull out your smartphone and your Uber app and you're set!

You get no disagreement from me. I have no issue with Uber or courtesy car and trying out all sorts of places. I was just letting Jay know his list of the only infield places to eat was incomplete.

You get no disagreement from me. I have no issue with Uber or courtesy car and trying out all sorts of places. I was just letting Jay know his list of the only infield places to eat was incomplete.

I agree... Also let's not forget about Fredericksburg! Maybe not South Texas but not far from Stinson Field that is on his list.

There is a great restaurant on the field there.

I believe you meants this as a joke. (the smilie is a good hint)
Because I do not know a single other pilot who is a stuck-up snobby "foodie" with Uber apps on their smart phone. I guess I socialize only with good people.

I agree... Also let's not forget about Fredericksburg! Maybe not South Texas but not far from Stinson Field that is on his list.

There is a great restaurant on the field there.
Fredericksburg's on-field restaurant is okay (extremely limited menu and hours with lackluster service), but it's a bit far afield for a lunch run for us, even at 200 mph. We try to keep it under an hour each way, out and back.

When we go to Fredericksburg, it's always overnight, and we stay downtown where the shops, food, and bars are located. Once ensconsed, we walk to everything.

Nothing against the on-field Hangar Hotel, but their location out in the sticks and their lack of transportation to town became a deal killer for us.

Tried the "50's Cafe" today. Beautiful flying weather. Had to wait about 15 minutes for a table. Food and service were pretty good. We were the only airplane on the ramp when we arrived about noon, there were three others there when we left.

Must have passed each other...

Steve

Attachments

• DSCN3379.jpg
    DSCN3379.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Back