Houston area/md anderson

MikeLima

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MikeLima
I’m flying a friend into Houston tomorrow for an appointment at MD Anderson and need some info (as my time to call various fbo’s today will be severely limited.) Last year when I flew him down, the person who was transporting us asked us to fly into Hooks as that was more convenient for him. I had expected this year to be the same but late last night he informed me we’d be using Uber so I am looking for better alternatives. It’s about a $50 Uber trip.

In my preliminary review of airports in that area, it looks like Ellington or West Houston would be the cheaper options ( any Uber savings would be eaten up by higher fuel costs and fees at hobby or sugar land).... we will only be there for 24 hours.

Any info regarding these airports or others in the area that would help make my otherwise uninformed decision easier would be appreciated.

ML

Were I going to the Medical Center, I'd choose Hobby (KHOU). Very GA-friendly. Wilson Air is good FBO. You might tell them why you're coming, and get fuel price and/or fee relief.

Next closest is Ellington, but I don't see why to choose it, farther away, over Hobby.

As for Hooks or West Houston, both great fields, but hell and gone from the Medical Center.

Last edited:
The reason I had leaned away from Hobby and toward Ellington was that I’d be saving nearly $60 in fuel costs. However, I will be more than happy to visit with Wilson Air at Hobby if they give those types of discounts...that’s the kind of info I was looking for.

Thank you.

By the way, application of fees varies widely, but both FBOs at EFD publish SS urity and handling fees which are not charged at Wilson. (But there may be a ramp fee). Always shifting targets, but you never know until you ask!

If this is an Angel Flight, contact AF and request a Ground Angel. Otherwise, got no other suggestions here.

If you don't want the hassle of Hobby, another possibility might be Pearland Regional, KLVJ. It is south of Hobby. I haven't flown out of there in a long time, and it has been upgraded from my days there, so there may be sufficient amenities for your needs. Access to M D Anderson is not quite as straight-forward as from Hobby but it is doable. Good luck

For the Houston area Angel Flights I have participated in, we often go to Sugarland (SGR). Easy in and out, very nice FBO, and fast Uber service.

Traffic and all things considers. You might look at Houston Southwest airport. It's a big trade off of time waiting on the ground to work you in with big jets dealing with a big airport logistics. Drive time from Houston Southwest to MD Anderson is 27 minutes vs 20 minutes to Hobby

Hobby, they deal with patients all the time. I'm pretty sure there are shuttles. Sad airport though with all the sick kids. Some alone

Thanks for all the input.... lots of info and options and it’s all going in the hopper for consideration.

Thanks again.

ML

Back