Houston’s west side: KIWS or KTME?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Looking to do a trip from Indy area to Houston later this month.

I think I’m favoring KIWS for the location & FBO, but airspace looks kinda wild, with obstacles to where I wouldn’t wanna “sneak under” anything. Perhaps file IFR, but then not sure how wide they’ll send me out, I’m coming in from northeast side (recent IR grad). Might just be easier to go KTME?

Opinions/thoughts, suggestions, and jokes all welcome.

Depends on which part of Houston you are headed to after landing.

Cinco Ranch/Katy. Both are as convenient ground transport-wise, I think?

If it’s TME or IWS, just flip a coin... both have great FBOs with easy access via ground/air.

Don’t be intimidated by West Houston IWS airspace or obstacles; in/out is easy below 2000’ to stay clear of Class B and the pattern isn’t that busy except for a few trainers flying B-52 patterns. The only obstacles are the Missouri City antenna farm, but that’s to the southeast and shouldn’t be a factor. I’m in a T-28 partnership based at IWS and have been in/out a bazillion times... it’s really easy.

If you go to IWS, try to find Pat Brown to say howdy, shake his hand, and thank him for his hard work as the main AOPA rep in Texas.

And if you can go fly with him, DO IT!!! He is an awesome instructor and fun to learn from.

I just did this over the weekend. KTME was super nice. Laura at the counter and line guy were awesome, especially considering I’m in a 40+ year old plane. Amazing place.

TME is an extremely nice FBO, and it's our if the Bravo. Really easy in /out. I trained there, and am in a flight club there.

Welcome to Texas! Even if you're only visiting. We moved from Louisville, KY to Fulshear, TX almost 5 years ago. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Back