housefly swatted

housefly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
housefly
Seasons Greetings!!
My flight training has suffered a setback due to suffering a heat attack last tuesday morning at work. I thought I was having hiatal hernia symtoms, but the pressure was higher up my sternum and in my chest; I had shortness of breath and was lightheaded;made me suspect something worse.I drove myself home(in the right hand lane),dumb idea(call 911),and in a life saving stroke of luck,my wife was home when I got there.Normally she would have been at work,but took the day off for a dental appointment. Being a O.R.nurse,she could tell I was in trouble.She made me get back up out of bed and drove me to the nearest E.R. They quickly confirmed a heart attack and 20 minutes later I was in the cardic cath lab. getiing 2 stents put into my right coronary artery which was 100% blocked.Got two other arteries blocked ,one 70%,one30%they didn't treat. two days in C.C.U.,another in a telemetry room(I had some irregular heart rhythms), they released me.The Dr. told my wife she saved my life, getting me to the E.R. quickly and also from major damage to my heart.I know I was blessed by God for the way events unfolded, and given a second chance at life.Goodbye bacon,ribeyes,ice cream,all the other good stuff;hello nutrition fact labels,heart healthy foods,exercise program.Maybe if I wouid have followed my dr.'s advice and took statins for my high cholesterol I wouldn't be dealing with this now. That's the price of playing poker I guess.Now I'll be on six different meds for the forseeable future.
I informed my flight doc,who referred me to OK City. Called them, they'll be sending a letter,I'm bummed because I was only a couple of lessons from soloing.I've seen the fallout, wait 6 months,apply for special issuance,jump through all the hoops,pray and wait. I asked if I could still train as a student with the instructor PIC.She said yes I could if my Instructor agreed.My Cardiologist said wait 3 weeks for my incision to heal.Waiting to get the letter from FAA just in case of conflicting directions. Catch 22 is now I'll be too broke to afford it.....Glad to be alive,.. I guess....anyways,Happy Holidays! ,Be sure to tell your family you love them.
housefly

Sorry for the hassle, glad you were able to write about the outcome rather than a family member being called upon to do it. Plenty of open seats are available in this area if you want to ride around in the meantime.

Housefly: everything you need will be paid for by insurance, for your recertification in June, 2012. Your wife did good, funny how the women know. Fortunately, she is not interested in finding another man on account of having outlived the prior husband.

Email me if you are interested in the list, and in the timing.

Last edited:
Glad you went to an ER that was attached to an interventional cath lab. Next time (EVERYONE ELSE!!) CALL THE AMBULANCE... They know where to go, first time, every time.
You got VERY LUCKY. I'm glad it turned out good for you.

Thanks to all for for your kind words and encouragement,I really do appreciate it.I hope God blesses each one of you as He has me. I plan to keep flying w/Instructor,complete what requirements I can ,do what Dr.C and the FAA says do to get recertified. I'm just gonna look at this as "extended checkride practice"...
housefly

So where do you fly out of?

Now you know for SURE she loves you! She didn't tuck you in and pull up the covers and kiss you goodnight.... for forever.

Rest up, thank her profusely and often, and we'll see you in the skies soon.

Here's to good wives!

Mesquite Metro Airport (KHQZ)is my home field.I'm training with Mesquite Aviation.I like the relatively uncrowded, rural location,lots of flat farmed fields surrounding the area. It's uncontrolled at present,but I hear there are plans to build a tower in a year or two. The runway is nice(17-35).It's a good field for practice if you havent been there yet. Everyone I've met there has been friendly.
As for my wife,yep, she's a good'un.I'm very lucky,she's a nurse at Childeren's Hospital w/30yrs. O.R. experience.She's my hero.

Mesquite Metro Airport (KHQZ)is my home field.I'm training with Mesquite Aviation.I like the relatively uncrowded, rural location,lots of flat farmed fields surrounding the area. It's uncontrolled at present,but I hear there are plans to build a tower in a year or two. The runway is nice(17-35).It's a good field for practice if you havent been there yet. Everyone I've met there has been friendly.
As for my wife,yep, she's a good'un.I'm very lucky,she's a nurse at Childeren's Hospital w/30yrs. O.R. experience.She's my hero.

She's our hero, now, too!

Many and many a lap 'round the pattern at HQZ for me, and it's my go-to destination when I need gas in a hurry, best deal nearby. I always tell passengers to look for the guitar-shaped pool when we take off.

A tower? I am not too excited about that!

I hope God blesses each one of you as He has me. I plan to keep flying w/Instructor,complete what requirements I can

He has indeed, and you've broken the code. Just like you say, as soon as the docs clear you start flying with a CFI again. You'll stay sharp, knock out some x/c requirements, and keep your spirits up while you're waiting to be medically recertified. Hang in there! :)

I had CABG with 4 bypasses when 36 yrs old. Repeat CABG 15 yrs later. Took statins for 20+ yrs until developed muscle problems which occurred with all known statins. Have ridden bicycle approx 20,000 miles, hiked hills, played tennis, watched diet, tried to deal with stress better. My last angiogram in Sept. showed all my grafts blocked with the exception of the internal mammary graft. I have developed extensive collaterals including one which is as large as the original artery it replaced. I am now almost 72 yrs old and very active. Indeed one of the most blessed humans alive. Best wishes to you

Thanks to all for for your kind words and encouragement,I really do appreciate it.I hope God blesses each one of you as He has me. I plan to keep flying w/Instructor,complete what requirements I can ,do what Dr.C and the FAA says do to get recertified. I'm just gonna look at this as "extended checkride practice"...
housefly

Sounds like you have a good plan. Best of luck to you!

Duane,I bet if I looked up "perseverence"in the dictionary your picture would be there.I hope I can come close to your activity level in the future.I've walked a 2 mile/40 minute circuit in my neighborhood the past 2 days.Thanks for the inspiring words and good luck to you.
housefly

Joy to report ! :I received my new Third class/student certificate (special issuance) in the mail yesterday.Thanks to all for the encouragement you gave me to continue my flight training.A big thanks to Dr. C for pointing me down the long path to get certified again,he knows his beeswax;aren't we lucky to have him in this forum? There is a long list of ifs,ands or buts in the letter along with it, but gist of it is keep up every thing I'm doing to maintain my health,as long as nothing changes,I'm good to go, under the guidelines of SI of course.I wish I could say I'll be back in the left seat immediately,however,as with many of us,I'm laid off my job presently so I can't justify the cost of lessons presently.I'm not discouraged because I've seen the work/no work cycle come and go several times in 27 years in my trade.It's just been a bad year;heart attack late Nov.,back to work in Feb.,laid off for 4months,work July and Aug,laid off again Sept.That's no way to pad a bank account. I've observed long enough to know the lay offs come in election years and the end of fiscal years,so it looks like I'm getting a double whammy here. Fear not however , this housefly will be buzzin' around soon!

Good for you - for taking care of yourself, and especially for taking control of the situation.

Your lucky, many times the first heart attack kills. but when it doesn't, you're able to get it fixed.

A Friend has a 5 way bi-pass and has kept his medical on a yearly special issuance.

You are in good hands now follow Dr Bruce's advice.

Lotsa flying going on around Dallas, usually with at least one or two empty seats. You're welcome to come along. Stop by KADS any time.

Joy to report ! :I received my new Third class/student certificate (special issuance) in the mail yesterday.Thanks to all for the encouragement you gave me to continue my flight training.A big thanks to Dr. C for pointing me down the long path to get certified again,he knows his beeswax;aren't we lucky to have him in this forum? There is a long list of ifs,ands or buts in the letter along with it, but gist of it is keep up every thing I'm doing to maintain my health,as long as nothing changes,I'm good to go, under the guidelines of SI of course.I wish I could say I'll be back in the left seat immediately,however,as with many of us,I'm laid off my job presently so I can't justify the cost of lessons presently.I'm not discouraged because I've seen the work/no work cycle come and go several times in 27 years in my trade.It's just been a bad year;heart attack late Nov.,back to work in Feb.,laid off for 4months,work July and Aug,laid off again Sept.That's no way to pad a bank account. I've observed long enough to know the lay offs come in election years and the end of fiscal years,so it looks like I'm getting a double whammy here. Fear not however , this housefly will be buzzin' around soon!

Another GOOD statistic. Hope you can get back in a financial state to go flying again.

Cheers

Great news! Glad to hear about the Third Class Medical.

Joy to report ! :I received my new Third class/student certificate (special issuance) in the mail yesterday.Thanks to all for the encouragement you gave me to continue my flight training.A big thanks to Dr. C for pointing me down the long path to get certified again,he knows his beeswax;aren't we lucky to have him in this forum? There is a long list of ifs,ands or buts in the letter along with it, but gist of it is keep up every thing I'm doing to maintain my health,as long as nothing changes,I'm good to go, under the guidelines of SI of course.
"You are ineligible for certification under Title 14 CFR 67.113, however, I have determined however that you are eligble for special issuance THIRD class under title 14, Section 67.401....." I've been doing this for a bit too long, but sweeter words were never found.....

Attaboy. Thank your wife.:)

Last edited:
Yeah,I still got the warm fuzzy feeling,knowing I'm back on track.Today I took my certificate with me to my fitness center where I rehabbed after my MI and remain as member maintaining my fitness program,to have a "signing ceremony" with the good folks that helped me accomplish my goal,just a way to show them my thanks.They helped not only with the exercise,but with keeping me in a positive mental outlook,tracking my progress,faxing a small mountain of paperwork to my MD,AME,and Cardiologist.
As for diet and exercise,I'm on such a good roll,I can't stop now.I'm making the"heart healthy " choices you should make,gave up soda pop,(I think Pepsi stock has gone down since),still paying attention to package labels.My exercise program is a two hour,three days a week routine:Treadmill 30 minutes (alternate jogging/brisk walk @3minute interval),15 minutes on an elliptical machine,then onto the weight resistance machines(nine machines,I do 3 sets of twelve reps or 2 sets of 20 reps).Each time I've had blood work, the numbers keep getting better and better. When I did the stress test I needed to pass Bruce Protocol Level 3,I was able to complete Level 5,I think that's good for a 59 year old.
Dr. Bruce,you nailed the first paragraph in the letter all right! Thanks again !
Wayne, thank you you for your gracious offer,I'd like to ride up to KADS to meet and visit sometime.
Thanks again to all who posted on my thread and every other forum member;hovering around all these past weeks helped me stay in the game,focused on the goal.

Your next milestone will be an AME Assisted SI. It will take two to thee years of perfect stress and blood test submissions to OKC to get it. With the AASI you can almost be like a normal 3rd class applicant: walk in for your normal flight physical with your AME, with your cardiologist's report in hand, and walk out with your certificate.

Your next milestone will be an AME Assisted SI. It will take two to thee years of perfect stress and blood test submissions to OKC to get it. With the AASI you can almost be like a normal 3rd class applicant: walk in for your normal flight physical with your AME, with your cardiologist's report in hand, and walk out with your certificate.
He can do that now, if his AME knows how to do it.
I did that five times last week.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back