House Sold From Under Me?!?!

kjwalker01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Keith
Well, probably not, but we just got back from a weekend trip to a bunch of junk mail, addressed to someone we don't know, for various mortgage protection services, security services, etc. The usual stuff you get when you buy a new home.

But... we've lived here for over 15 years and have never listed the house. Looking online, all of my mortgage payments have been on time, so it's not like it was foreclosed without my knowledge. And it's been 3 weeks and nobody has shown up with a moving truck.

So, is this probably a situation where a county clerk fat-fingered our address? Or is there a crazy scam that I'm caught up in the middle of?

Zillow DOES show the house was sold on or about the date on the notices.

Not aviation-related, but I figured my good friends on PoA could help me figure this out.

Check deed records for the county, asap.

May be a mortgage scam going down.

I think you are good until the first eviction notice arrives.

---

But you might check with the county clerk to make sure there wasn't a typo somewhere.

Identity theft? Might wanna check ur credit real quick just in case.

Looks like it could be a mortgage scam.

Is any of the mail addressed by name? or all just "Resident" or "Recent Home Buyer"

Gotta be a mistake.
People don't get evicted in flower mound

Identity theft is a huge problem. I'd suggest joining Lifelock. I think they do a good job of tracking activity with your personal identity. We got a call on Labor Day from them that someone in our house had a different address. It was our daughter who moved a few weeks ago.

Well, probably not, but we just got back from a weekend trip to a bunch of junk mail, addressed to someone we don't know, for various mortgage protection services, security services, etc. The usual stuff you get when you buy a new home.

But... we've lived here for over 15 years and have never listed the house. Looking online, all of my mortgage payments have been on time, so it's not like it was foreclosed without my knowledge. And it's been 3 weeks and nobody has shown up with a moving truck.

So, is this probably a situation where a county clerk fat-fingered our address? Or is there a crazy scam that I'm caught up in the middle of?

Not aviation-related, but I figured my good friends on PoA could help me figure this out.

Time to do a title search. You can do this yourself. Go to where the records are kept, and sweet talk one of the clerks to show you how. A small box of chocolates will be helpful! Tell her why you are doing this and you should get lots pf cooperation.

Check deed records for the county, asap.

May be a mortgage scam going down.

Exactly!

There have been several cases here in the DC area like that - houses stolen from the owners.

It's not the house they want, it is the cash they drew out in the fraudulent re-fi.

Ends up it's a clerical error. My wife recognized the last name as a new family down the street. Our street number ends in 12, theirs in 21. Now I get all the junk mail. Great. I will put a call into the county, though, as this will probably cause some of issue whenever we decide to sell.

Ends up it's a clerical error. My wife recognized the last name as a new family down the street. Our street number ends in 12, theirs in 21. Now I get all the junk mail. Great. I will put a call into the county, though, as this will probably cause some of issue whenever we decide to sell.

Glad that's all it was.

Junk mail makes great kindling for the fireplace or BBQ grill. ;)

Glad that's all. It's one very good reason to get individual title insurance.

Yeah, I got all those (as well as some misdirected packages) for what turns out to be a neighbor with a similar address (we're 25626 and he is 25622). It only came to light when one of our packages got misdirected to his house and we asked "Is this your name" (It's some Indian thing I can't pronounce).

Anyhow, for piece of mind you can check the records at the courthouse directly. If you have owner's title insurance, you may get some help fro them.

I get TONS of mortgage refinance things including envelopes marked "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR MORTGAGE" even though I own three houses, two of which NEVER have had mortgages attached to them since they were subdivided and one hasn't had a mortgage on it since I've owned it.

Better move out before the new owner shows up and throws you out!

Belt and suspenders time! While this clerical error is fresh in folks' memories, See if you can get them to write a letter explaining what happened on city or county stationery. Send copies to all three credit report agencies and also record the letter in the Registrar's office. The objective is to have a credible document to point to when you decide it is time to sell.

Find out who made the clerical error, and make sure it gets resolved. Don't let it go until later. If no one wants to own up to it, go to your county supervisors office for your precinct and raise a stink. If the county supe doesn't feel like helping go to the Tarrant county courts. If you let it go, you may not get a transferable title. Also, go find your title insurance issuer and advise them of the mistake, and enlist them in getting it cleaned up so that they will offer clear title insurance when sold. They need to know how the recording records are changed. Don't wait.

Almost bought my neighbors lot (8 instead of 6) one time. Noticed at the closing. Lots of nervous paper shuffling ensued.

If you have a mortgage then you have a lender. Contact them and straighten it out. No one can take your home without due process. And if you have made your payments there is no basis for a court to allow such an order.

Title insurance would not cover a new lein after closing. It would only cover prior liens that were of record. ;)

Exactly why I don't buy title insurance unless I have a mortgage and they will always require it! When I bought my son's college condo the attorney almost wanted to fight when I told him I didn't want title insurance! I asked him, "You checked the title, right? If you missed anything it's on you, right?" He wasn't happy at all! The policy was $900 with $600 of it being commission to the attorney, they have to disclose that now. :D

Title insurance would not cover a new lein after closing. It would only cover prior liens that were of record. ;)

It would cover some existing defect in the title that allowed someone to deed the property to someone else. This is not necessarily a "lien" issue.

Exactly why I don't buy title insurance unless I have a mortgage and they will always require it!

I disagree. I wouldn't even take the gift of property from my sainted aunt without owner's title insurance policy (which by the way, no bank EVER requires you to take out. As some around here have found, the bank's policy only protects the bank's interest and then only when the bank requests them to act, they have no obligation to the owner AT ALL).

Back