Hours

grattonja

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saratoga driver
I flew some approaches on Friday, and then my wife and I flew the gutless Cutlass on Saturday over to New Garden to help with the airmarking (Janet is a 99s member, and it came out quite nice if I do say so myself). When I came back and roughed in the time, what with all the circling for pictures, etc, I came up with 301 hours total time. My goal for the year was to break 300. Got 'er done.

Not much to those of you with 10000 hours in your books, but a big deal to me. I can look at doing Angel flights and some other things in the near future. Now if I can just get some more time in actual, maybe a HiPo signoff, maybe multi... ...

Jim G

Ooooh, 10.8 ahead of me. And not a single endorsement in my logbook. I need some of that too.

Hey we want to see pictures of the airmarking if you did any. Last year I did an airmarking at First Flight. :)

Congrats on the 300 Jim, i was hoping for that too but looks like i'll be short,247 now and money wont let me fly much. Well any flying is better then none. Dave

HPNFlyGirl said:
Hey we want to see pictures of the airmarking if you did any. Last year I did an airmarking at First Flight. :)

Four or five very dangerous feeling passes around the airport, and I think we have ONE picture! One of the ladies had a digital camera and Janet managed to get one good picture, despite not knowing how to work the camera really (I know how she felt, after 2 months out of the cutlass, and a whole new avionics panel, I wasn't sure I knew how to work it either).

My hat is off to all who do flying photographic work. I had trouble even getting the plane where Janet needed, and the very light turbulence made it very difficult for her to get the shot. The owner of the camera told her to open the window or it wouldn't focus, but she couldn't make that work due to the wind/slipstream. The one shot she did get was through the closed window. In the meantime, there was a tiger moth doing trips around the pattern, with no radio, and I had to watch for him. Also, various other aircraft came in, as I was going back and forth, across the field, across the pattern, sweating bullets with my head on a swivel. I EARNED that last .3 hours!

As soon as the picture gets emailed through, I will make sure to post it. The airmarking was really fun. I highly recommend getting involved in one, if the chance shows itself.

Jim G

N2212R said:
Ooooh, 10.8 ahead of me. And not a single endorsement in my logbook. I need some of that too.

Yeah, but you came to the fly-in at LOM, and that is WAY farther than I have ever been on a single XC. Good stuff that.

Jim G

Shipoke said:
Congrats on the 300 Jim, i was hoping for that too but looks like i'll be short,247 now and money wont let me fly much. Well any flying is better then none. Dave

With the time in, I hope to be able to pursue that information you gave me on the Young Eagles event at CXY, next year. That was one of the reasons to get the time in. I hear ya on the money. With my wife hard at work on her IR, my flight time has taken a serious hit!

Jim G

Can't say I've ever heard of 'airmarking'... what the heck is that ?

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
Can't say I've ever heard of 'airmarking'... what the heck is that ?

What Dave said.

Didn't know your wife had anytime to fly anymore what with a 49 hour commute to work.

AdamZ said:
What Dave said.

Didn't know your wife had anytime to fly anymore what with a 49 hour commute to work.

I'll take a stab at it. When I first moved to Colorado and based the plane at Front Range, I helped the local 99's chapter paint a compass rose on the tarmac in the runup area. Its either that or someone mixed oil an 100LL together in their Cessna.

grattonja said:
Yeah, but you came to the fly-in at LOM, and that is WAY farther than I have ever been on a single XC. Good stuff that.

Jim G

And that was my SHORT cross country! :p

(4500+nm XC in July - Even flew out over the Pacific ;) )

Back before WWII and security issues arising therefrom, lots of airports had their name and identifier painted somewhere. FBO roof, taxiway, etc. The 99s have elected to revive that tradition. Local FBOs or airport groups call and get on the list. The 99s come out and put the name, identifier and CTAF on a taxiway, etc. I know that the local 99s have done New Garden, Chester County Carlson, Smoketown, and a roof over at Lancaster. I am sure they have done many others.

As I am only a lowly 49 and 1/2, I don't know the details, but believe the FBO provides the paint (it took almost 40 gal of road paint for New Garden). The ladies have forms for the letters, etc. Someone diagrams out the spacing, and the letters are chalked in, then taped, then painted with rollers.

You end up with an airmarked airport. And yes, they do compass roses as well. Haven't been in on one of those yet, but understand that Lakeland NJ is on the list for next month.

Janet is still actively flying despite "a 49 hour commute". More actively than I at the present in fact. She put almost 2 in last night shooting approaches. Basically, she never sleeps and I never see her. She's happy tho, at least when she's flying anyway.

Jim G

Back