Hotspots

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
I learned something new in my third IFR lesson: A new HOTSPOTS section is being added to the NACO approach plate book that even VFR pilots should be aware of. These are the spots on airports where incursions are most plentiful and where pilots should be most cautious. For a list of links to hotspots, see
http://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_safety/hotspots/hotspots_list/

Some of them are really something to see :yikes:. I expect the list will grow over time.

I learned something new in my third IFR lesson: A new HOTSPOTS section is being added to the NACO approach plate book that even VFR pilots should be aware of. These are the spots on airports where incursions are most plentiful and where pilots should be most cautious. For a list of links to hotspots, see

Some of them are really something to see :yikes:. I expect the list will grow over time.
Can we get WiFi coverage on those hotspots?

This makes me think of:

this-sign-has-sharp-edges.jpg

A lot of airports have confusing intersections. I'm not sure I see the point here. Shouldn't you always be paying attention, especially at an unfamiliar airport?

Exactly. These "Safety focus" missions usually just add to the noise.

Agreed. The intent is nice, but there are limitless "danger zones." The lesson is to be alert.

What I personally do (even if it makes me look like an idiot) is ask tower if I'm confused. In absense of tower, I ask whoever will answer. Nothing wrong with stopping and looking at things for a second to figure out where you're going, either.

At first glance, this looks to be taxpayer money, NOT well spent.

At first glance, this looks to be taxpayer money, NOT well spent.

Since my home base was singled out as having the highest rate of runway incursions in the country last year they installed flashing yellow lights alongside the taxiways at all runway crossings. But since they leave them on all the time even when a runway is inactive and/or when an airplane is cleared across it seems to me that the pilots will simply learn to ignore the lights making them a significant waste of money. If they could be individually controlled the tower could switch them off selectively so that it would never be "normal" to pass beyond one that was on and I'd think that would go a lot further towards eliminating incursions at least by pilots (well over half the incursions last year were by non-pilots in ground vehicles). They also leave them on low brightness except when it's really foggy which makes them pretty much invisible during the day, at least when there's snow on the ground and plenty of sunlight.

Last edited:

HOTSPOTS have been on JEPP airport diagrams for years. Some airlines actually require you to brief those that might impact your taxi route. While you should be vigilant at any intersection, it is nice to know where to be extra vigilant.

I am going to ask for vectors around the hotspots. Why dwell in dangerous areas? Maybe I can put in the notes I add to the FP - you know, 'no sids, no stars, no hotspots'?

;)

I am going to ask for vectors around the hotspots. Why dwell in dangerous areas? Maybe I can put in the notes I add to the FP - you know, 'no sids, no stars, no hotspots'?

;)

Im gonna file that next time, just to see what happens. I will be going into St Augustine in a couple weeks, so it should be applicable if I decide to file.

Well, Missouri is certainly well represented with at leat 10 of the 66 airports listed.

Back