Hotspot in the Plane

kshaw

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
KShaw
Has anyone tried using a hotspot in the air for internet access? How well does it work if it works at all?

It'll work about as well as your phone if you have data. I've gotten some luck with different providers, but up above a few thousand feet you wont see much signal.

To reiterate what the others have said: If you are low enough and over semi-populated areas, you'll get decent signal frequently. Higher is worse. Fewer people is worse. So, if you want to be able to receive messages while you do a cross country, it's probably good enough. If you want to be able to work, nope.

So many variables involved. No perfect answer. I've received texts at 5500' in some spots, but can't at 1000' in others...

Starlink ? :D

5a61c9ad24aaa6706df57ccabde625fd.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-7_16-1-9.gif
    upload_2021-7-7_16-1-9.gif
    37 bytes · Views: 7
  • upload_2021-7-7_16-1-22.gif
    upload_2021-7-7_16-1-22.gif
    37 bytes · Views: 7
Yeah, no. There isn’t a light GA friendly solution right now. You got a TBM? Gogo can get you connected. The equipment is still too big and heavy for smaller aircraft.

Why would you need it? There are receivers for XM Radio and XM weather already, even for older legacy avionics

I would have to imagine people can tolerate 2 hours in a Piper Cherokee without Wi-Fi..

Speed and altitude hinder. If I slow below 120 KTAS, I can usually get a text out up to 8k or so, maybe an email. Flipping in and out of airplane mode once I slow down helps.

Speed and altitude hinder. If I slow below 120 KTAS, I can usually get a text out up to 8k or so, maybe an email. Flipping in and out of airplane mode once I slow down helps.

So, like Airplane Mode->Helicopter Mode->Airplane Mode?

For flight data ADS-B IN would be your best bet. If you need it so the kids can play their video games in flight, hand them a paper book.

Back