Hotel recommendation for Oshkosh...

Armageddon Aviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Alon Smolarski
Hi,

I'm trying to find a nice hotel not too far from the exhibition grounds at Oshkosh ( preferably less than 20 miles ).

The ones I found were extremely expensive or located too far away, shabby, unsafe, etc...:rolleyes2:

I know that most rooms are booked well in advance...( at least in the hotels that meet our criteria ).

I already tried the EAA recommended accommodation website but couldn't find anything I liked...

I would really appreciate some advice or ideas on this. Any personal experience ?

Thanks in advance.

Alon

Hi,

I'm trying to find a nice hotel not too far from the exhibition grounds at Oshkosh ( preferably less than 20 miles ).

The ones I found were extremely expensive or located too far away, shabby, unsafe, etc...:rolleyes2:

I know that most rooms are booked well in advance...( at least in the hotels that meet our criteria ).

I already tried the EAA recommended accommodation website but couldn't find anything I liked...

I would really appreciate some advice or ideas on this. Any personal experience ?

Thanks in advance.

Alon

Rent a house.....

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Alon

Starting July 1, 2012 you'll be able to book a hotel room for 2013. But you'll still pay $150 and up per day for anything and everything you'd be willing to stay in.

Face the facts - it's either the dorms ($70/day and up), camp, or go further away. Green Bay is very reasonable for this time of year. In fact there are hotel rooms for the same price as the dorms at OSH or Appleton. There's bus service from the hotel doors to the field.

Oh, and all the dorm rooms at UWOSH are completely booked for 2013 before the end of the 2012 show. Fortunately, there are a huge number of cancellations so get on the waiting lists.

Full disclosure here is that Alon and I and a friend are comming to Osh and Alon booked a room in Appleton through the EAA site. The problem that he/I/We are having is that the hotel has not confirmed our reservation. Alon has communicated with them via email and they have advised him that they have his request for a room but they have not entered any reservations yet because they are too busy with other things.

I called the manager and I've explained to her that my friends are comming from overseas and are about to plunk down a huge amount of money for international airfare and are concerned that we have not recived a confirmation yet. The manager replied that if the request was sent in
(she acknowleded it had in an email to Alon) that we would get a room and confirmation but she has not entered any of them into the system yet.

We all find this very odd and can't figure out what is happening. I have never had this happen ever and we are all concerned.

Full disclosure here is that Alon and I and a friend are comming to Osh and Alon booked a room in Appleton through the EAA site. The problem that he/I/We are having is that the hotel has not confirmed our reservation. Alon has communicated with them via email and they have advised him that they have his request for a room but they have not entered any reservations yet because they are too busy with other things.

I called the manager and I've explained to her that my friends are comming from overseas and are about to plunk down a huge amount of money for international airfare and are concerned that we have not recived a confirmation yet. The manager replied that if the request was sent in
(she acknowleded it had in an email to Alon) that we would get a room and confirmation but she has not entered any of them into the system yet.

We all find this very odd and can't figure out what is happening. I have never had this happen ever and we are all concerned.

Indeed, I booked rooms at the Comfort Suites in Appleton, but it's been more than two months now and we still haven't received a confirmation...

I've never encountered such a situation before and the whole thing smells fishy...

This is exactly why I have decided to start looking for other options.

The rooms in Appleton are $ 200.00 per night , so anything in that range would be OK provided it's a decent place...

As for renting a house, it's also an option.

Alon

Speaking as someone who has owned and operated a hotel for 10 years, I can safely say, with 100% assurance, that you are dealing with a totally incompetent hotelier.

If you don't receive an email confirmation within 24 hours, you are dealing with complete morons.

Run -- do not walk -- from this establishment.

The rooms in Appleton are $200.00 per night , so anything in that range would be OK provided it's a decent place...

Two pieces of advice, worth exactly what you're paying for them:

1. Avoid franchise motels. They are charging you $200 for a $59 room while providing minimal service. Worse, they are laughing about it.

2. Camp on the field, with your plane. You will not have truly attended Airventure unless you do.

Really.

I attended OSH fifteen times before I was able to stay on the field, with my plane. I was completely amazed to discover that I had truly NOT been seeing Airventure when I was driving in from off-field every day. The real Oshkosh Experience is to be had in the North 40.

This will be #30 this year, we hope.

Adam

Understand that many if not most of these units are franchises of the Choice Hotels chain. But on the plus side, I've booked at Choice hotels frequently but only thru the Choice website. I've learned that using the EAA website is very iffy. Many times the info on EAA has no relevance to reality when I contact the hotel/dorm/whatever directly. The EAA website assumes the vendor will provide the correct & timely info, *AND* that the EAA people will update the website correctly & and timely.

Call - do not email - Guest Relations at 800-300-8800 and explain the problem. Followup (at the same time) with a letter to

Guest Relations
Choice Hotels International
Guest Relations Service Center
6811 East Mayo Blvd., Ste. 100
Phoenix, AZ 85054

After that, time to get serious and go after upper management and start raising h&ll.

10750 Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD, US 20901
Phone: (301) 592-5000

Western Regional Headquarters
6811 East Mayo Boulevard
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ, US 85054
Phone: (602) 953-4500
Fax: (602) 996-0192

Last edited:
Starting July 1, 2012 you'll be able to book a hotel room for 2013. But you'll still pay $150 and up per day for anything and everything you'd be willing to stay in.
At least. The HGI on the field goes to $400 a night (normally only $99) during Airventure and it has a minimum stay of the whole show I believe.

Most people who don't want to tent or RV stay in houses as mentioned, or the commute in from places where the hotel rates are saner and more available.

Don't panic. Alon, Alan, you will be able to find rooms in Appleton - even booking during Airventure. I've booked rooms a week in advance or less. You just have to try them all. They tend to be booked on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday but have space the other days.

I stay at the Excel Inn and it's fine. I don't have problems with low class motels. I think they're all OK but you're better off with the ones that are upscale of your average Motel 6.

The worst case is you go further north to Kimberly or Green Bay. I've never had to do that.

Try Fond Du Lac, too. Try the Super 8 web site.

Check for rooms and hotels with http://www.travelocity.com but call the hotel DIRECTLY.

Last edited:
My wife and I have stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in West Bend, Wi when we've gone up. It's a little further away than you want, but as I recall the rates were more normal and it is a nice place.

Of course roughing it isn't for everyone, but I agree with Jay. If you don't stay with the aircraft, you truly do miss out on arguably the best part of the experience. You'll have to enjoy it without your friendly neighborhood Steingar.

Camping is great fun- but consider keeping it simple, and leaving a lot of the usual camp-cargo at home. It won't be necessary to have all the furniture, kitchenware, mega-beds, and three-room tent-chateaux. Bikes aren't allowed inside the AirVenture gates. A freestanding backpacker's tent, stakes and rainfly, Thermarest pad, sleeping bag, and a towel are all you'll really need under the wing of your airplane. There's plenty of food for purchase on site. If severe weather is forecast, stuff the sleeping bag and clothing inside your plane for the day. Ask me how I learned this!

Call EAA and ask about rooms to rent in private homes. We've done that and found it more interesting and more comfortable than a hotel.

Of course roughing it isn't for everyone, but I agree with Jay. If you don't stay with the aircraft, you truly do miss out on arguably the best part of the experience. You'll have to enjoy it without your friendly neighborhood Steingar.

I agree Michael however Alon and crew spent enough time camping in the IDF and aren't so keen on plunking down a bunch of Shekels get to the the good Ole USA and spend their time here floating on an air mattress in some mud hole. That I can understand. If it were just me that would be a different story.

Plus staying in a hotel won't prevent us from hanging at our POA friends camp site!

I agree Michael however Alon and crew spent enough time camping in the IDF and aren't so keen on plunking down a bunch of Shekels get to the the good Ole USA and spend their time here floating on an air mattress in some mud hole. That I can understand. If it were just me that would be a different story.

Plus staying in a hotel won't prevent us from hanging at our POA friends camp site!
The logistics of getting to and from the air field can be very frustrating. Also, you have nowhere to retreat to if the weather tanks a turn for the worse. You'll find yourself standing out in the rain literally. Or trying to push and shove your way into a few covered areas. Have your own camp site and you can retreat from the weather or simply take a nap.

I'm seriously considering campering it this year...

You're not going this year? WTF?

Camping is great fun- but consider keeping it simple, and leaving a lot of the usual camp-cargo at home. It won't be necessary to have all the furniture, kitchenware, mega-beds, and three-room tent-chateaux.

I think Grant & Leslie should read this:D
I think their plan is the complete oposite.

Same with us. Now that we have the trailer in OSH pre-loaded, we have everything from blenders to generators. We are no longer slaves to our useful load -- heck, we could fly to OSH in a Cub now! :lol:

I'd like to thank everybody for sharing this useful information.

Adam managed to book rooms in a different hotel in Appleton ( you're DA man Adam :thumbsup: )

This time we even received a confirmation...:D

As for the "Comfort Suites" motel in Appleton...their behavior was very unprofessional ( to say the least ) and I wouldn't recommend that place to anybody...

I understand that camping can be fun...like Adam wrote, I just spent too many nights in sleeping bags....

Regarding the possibility of thunderstorms, I will bring a Goretex rain jacket and a folding umbrella just in case...

I am looking forward to meeting all of you :)

Thanks again

Alon

It is my hope that you guys can plan a fuel stop in my little burb so I can see Adam and of course meet Alon, something I would like to do. No, Oshkosh will happy without my smiling face. I have a lab class to teach.

I've done both - a two-man tent and a towel, with the clothes and stuff stored in the airplane, and a larger tent with an air mattress and room for the gear in the tent.

Bigger is better (at my age, at least). I learned in the service that I didn't have to try to be uncomfortable, life would provide plenty of those opportunities.

It is my hope that you guys can plan a fuel stop in my little burb so I can see Adam and of course meet Alon, something I would like to do. No, Oshkosh will happy without my smiling face. I have a lab class to teach.

Thanks again for the invitation.

We will definitely try to make a short stop at your place, time and weather permitting.

All the best.

Alon

Back