Hot, tired, hungry, happy, frustrated...and I passed.

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
Well...I'm tired, slightly brain-dead, hungry and thirsty, hot, sweaty, somewhat frustrated and dejected, but overall happy because I passed my checkride. The frustration/dejection comes from knowing that I didn't fly like I know I CAN. That said, I'm aware that most checkride students are nervous and aren't always on their 'A' game - and I'm sure instructors know that as well. I made mistakes, both mental and flying, but luckily for me the DPE must have taken my corrections as evidence that I could recognize and improve the situations. Many have said it here that the examiners are looking for "Safe", not "Perfect", and I was a poster-child example for that phrase today. Would I have liked to have left knowing that the DPE called my examiner and sang him the praises of my Oral and Practical exam excellence? Sure! But the fact that I was deemed a competent and safe ENOUGH pilot to be carrying my temporary certificate with me makes me smile just the same.

Thanks for all the help and support everyone. I'll do a detailed write-up of the checkride, most likely tonight while it's still fresh. I might even take a week or two off before I start working on the instrument rating. :wink2:

Whew.....

A long chapter comes to a close and a new one begins!

I've been looking forward to this all day!
Congratulations to you! Your hard work paid off.

Just Awesome!

A long chapter comes to a close and a new one begins!

I've been looking forward to this all day!
Congratulations to you! Your hard work paid off.

Just Awesome!

Thanks for the kind words Brian. Looking forward to flying a few places now for the heck of it and doing a NORMAL takeoff and landing for a change. LOL

Congrats fellow aviator! On my diversion, the DPE asked how long till we arrived at the destination. Hmmm... that's an easy one! 10 miles, 100kts, 100 minutes in an hour... so 10 minutes! Geez, you'd have thought he at least could've given me a tougher one to deal with :)

Felt a bit stupid after that one, but passed anyway. You did well enough to become a pilot--which is more than 99.5% of the population can say!

Welcome to the ancient and eternal order... (or however the saying goes).

IOW, congratulations! :D

Congrats! Now change your signature. :)

Don't be so hard on yourself! All you needed to do is pass.

Congrats!

Its easy to become a pilot. Its hard to become an aviator.

Congratulations..!!!

I remember the day I passed my private check ride. What an ordeal..!! On the drive home, temporary certificate in hand, it suddenly hit me I could now fly with passengers, at night, from coast to coast, in the rain, with minimal visibility....

You now have the license to learn. Never stop learning, my friend, and aviate safely.

Congrats and welcome to the less than 1% of the population that have a pilots license!

Now the real learning begins. It's the truest phrase in aviation that your PPL is really your ticket to learn! Go have fun and share aviation with as many people as you can!

Congratulations! You can now breathe a little easier knowing that the runways get longer Nd harder (they're not all short/soft field) and the engine won't fail nearly as much as it has in your training. ;-)

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep yourself prepared for those things. Enjoy some relaxing flights (maybe even with passengers!) and then review the maneuvers again. You don't have to do them every flight, but sometimes it's nice to schedule a flight just to renew your familiarity with them.

Congrats!...and welcome to the level of achievement where you can now post a simple legitimate question on POA and be berated as an incompetent, unskilled, should have been taught that low time (but now official) pilot by a bunch of crusty old timers stuck in their ways!

When does the instrument training start?

Well...I'm tired, slightly brain-dead, hungry and thirsty, hot, sweaty, somewhat frustrated and dejected, but overall happy because I passed my checkride. The frustration/dejection comes from knowing that I didn't fly like I know I CAN. That said, I'm aware that most checkride students are nervous and aren't always on their 'A' game - and I'm sure instructors know that as well. I made mistakes, both mental and flying, but luckily for me the DPE must have taken my corrections as evidence that I could recognize and improve the situations. Many have said it here that the examiners are looking for "Safe", not "Perfect", and I was a poster-child example for that phrase today. Would I have liked to have left knowing that the DPE called my examiner and sang him the praises of my Oral and Practical exam excellence? Sure! But the fact that I was deemed a competent and safe ENOUGH pilot to be carrying my temporary certificate with me makes me smile just the same.

Thanks for all the help and support everyone. I'll do a detailed write-up of the checkride, most likely tonight while it's still fresh. I might even take a week or two off before I start working on the instrument rating. :wink2:

Whew.....

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Now start your instrument training, that's what I'm doing.

Right on. Now go buzz something to celebrate.

Congrats!...and welcome to the level of achievement where you can now post a simple legitimate question on POA and be berated as an incompetent, unskilled, should have been taught that low time (but now official) pilot by a bunch of crusty old timers stuck in their ways!

When does the instrument training start?

CFI/friend tells me to fly for fun for a month or so. He even wants me to schedule a dinner trip for he, his wife, my GF, and myself. He wants me to fly us all to dinner in his Dakota. :D

After that, I'll start with my instrument training. Thx for asking...

CFI/friend tells me to fly for fun for a month or so. He even wants me to schedule a dinner trip for he, his wife, my GF, and myself. He wants me to fly us all to dinner in his Dakota. :D

After that, I'll start with my instrument training. Thx for asking...

Congratulations, and this sounds like a great idea! You and your wife get to experience the benefits of aviation together, and she gets to be sold on getting a larger airplane right away! (I'm presuming you normally fly something a bit smaller than a Dakota?)

Back