"Hot" landing blocks 28L at PDX

I was walking out to preflight one morning in Bagram when an F-15E landed hot. I watched as his tire flew through the air like a donut. He dropped the hook and took the departure end cable. Blocked the runway for about an hour. With only one runway and an arrival / depart every couple of minutes, it's a massive problem.

Last edited:
The "other" runway was closed to fix this....

"Strangely enough, the south runway is closed for repairs after the tire on another F-15 failed and the jet's landing gear damaged the runway."

What are the chances..:dunno::rolleyes:

I was doing the Class C transition eastbound from KVUO along the north bank of the Columbia today when Approach had me make a 30-degree left turn for these incoming F-15s, which were on the overhead break. The controller handing me off a couple of minutes later seemed a bit frazzled and forgot to cancel my altitude restriction -- now I realize she must have been distracted by this accident. Shortly thereafter I was hearing Seattle Center ask arrivals if they could accept 28L with only 5,000' available. It was odd hearing him tell arrivals to expect a hold on a CAVU day like this.

Last edited:
F15's don't have hooks. Could it have been an F18?

Nope, it was a Strike Eagle. They have hooks, as do F-16s. Comes in handy for landing gear issues and as 35 AOA has brought up before, standing water on the runway.

F16's have hooks, too. They just don't use them on boats. ;) They're used in combination with a barrier installed at certain fields to prevent overruns during emergencies.

I stand corrected. . . never saw that before.

Nope, it was a Strike Eagle. They have hooks, as do F-16s. Comes in handy for landing gear issues and as 35 AOA has brought up before, standing water on the runway.

That's accurate. The USAF hooks aren't quite designed for repeated use like the Navy ones are. They have hooks for emergencies only and, as I understand it, it's a pretty big deal if they have to use it.

Airfield arresting gear takes quite a while to reset AFTER the aircraft that used it has been cleared. If you know someone is about to take a trap, you can expect 20-30 minutes best case before that runway is available again.

Back