Hot dogs and pizza

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Are what suburban 12 year olds eat because their parents don't have time to make them real food. Same category and class as chicken nuggets.

BBQ is what it's all about. Texas, NC, SC, KC. they're cute and they try, bless their hearts. But memphis wins.

Been in Georgia/SC for a year and a half, haven't eaten at a BBQ place twice. It's depressing. Went to TX and they try to pass beef off on me as BBQ. Sorry but BBQ means there's a dead pig and only a dead pig around. Anything else is "grillin" and no I don't care if it was smoked. WTF is brisket? It ain't BBQ.

BBQ is the art of making cheap cuts of meat delicious. Any other definition is regional chest thumping. Personally if it is tasty I don't care what they call it or where it supposedly came from.

Hey Bart have you been down to southern soul BBQ on St Simons Island (KSSI) yet? I'm not sure if they meet your standards, but I go there a lot and I find it pretty damn tasty!

I was a 12 year old once. I loved Tortinos microwave pizzas and hotdogs too. That's just how we rolled. These days, not so much.

Hey Bart have you been down to southern soul BBQ on St Simons Island (KSSI) yet? I'm not sure if they meet your standards, but I go there a lot and I find it pretty damn tasty!

I like iguanas on SSI. All the locals hate it but their shrimp is why I go. I'll try the BBQ next trip.

pigs. hogs. brisket. its allllll good. why we be hatin' on bbq? mustard. vinegar. tomata. I like them all.

I like iguanas on SSI. All the locals hate it but their shrimp is why I go. I'll try the BBQ next trip.

You get shrimp at a BBQ?????

Wtf.

#TeamBrisket
u6utape3.jpg

You need to clean up the back yard. And plant some grass.

That's down at the shop. That was just after finished building, did one cook, then put the shiny paint on it.

Pre-paint:

y3amyge5.jpg

BBQ is the art of making cheap cuts of meat delicious. Any other definition is regional chest thumping. Personally if it is tasty I don't care what they call it or where it supposedly came from.

This...

The best cuts don't need much at all, no sauce, no marinade.

Knock it's horns off, wipe it's @ss and put it on a plate... :yes:

Georgia may not have the best que, but they sure got boiled peanuts.

But I'm in Joe's camp. Love the one you're with.

The fundamental definition of barbecue is that is has to be cooked slowly for a long time. Now here in NC if you just say "barbecue" you mean pork. Depending on what part of the state you're in it varies about what parts of the pig you get by default (and how the sauces, or as they say in this end of the state, dip are made). We do have other kinds of barbecue, but they're always qualified, such as "barbecued chicken" or "smoked turkey", etc.
Beef is a rarity.

Good pork ribs are sort of a western Tennesee thing. Beef brisket (which I like as well) is Texas.

Sausages can lend themselves well to it and I even up in Maine had barbecue baloney.

As for Pizza, you can argue what the ultimate definition of style is from New York to Chicago, to Napolitan Margherita style, but the truth is that the best, truest exempts come neither from the freezer NOR from a chain like Dominos, Pizza Hut, PapaJohns, etc...

Two things you can't get on Sunday in NC: Hard Liquor and good barbecue (the best restaurants are not open Sunday).

Last edited:
I was a 12 year old once. I loved Tortinos microwave pizzas and hotdogs too. That's just how we rolled. These days, not so much.
I still like Tortino's pizza rolls and hot dogs. I have both in the freezer. But one does not live on pizza rols and hot dogs. A good steak, pork chop, ham, or chicken helps too.

Growing up on Long Island (pre cable days), I had no idea what Dominoes was until I got to college. You got pizza from your local pizza parlor usually run by some lower level family in the mob. I remember going across the street from my elementary school one afternoon for a slice. There was a black car out front and a few really big guys at the door. "Waddaya want?" "Ummm... pizza." "We're closed.". "But there are two guys in there eating." "Kid, I said we're closed."
In college someone on my hall asked if "i wanted Dominoes." "I guess so. What's Dominoes?" I then figured Dominoes was the local pizza parlor or some slang for pizza. It was crappy, but I figured heck, it was what they liked there. It was not until I asked someone if they wanted to "go to Dominoes and hang out" that they explained what it was.

So last night I BBQ'd a chicken.

No, I didn't grill it, I BBQ'd it. It was a whole chicken cut in to two, using indirectly heat for an extended cooking time. Stuffed BBQ sauce under the skin.

It was yummy.

No, I didn't grill it, I BBQ'd it. It was a whole chicken cut in to two, using indirectly heat for an extended cooking time. Stuffed BBQ sauce under the skin.

It was yummy.
So happy that you know that BBQ is a noun not a verb. In the Midwest that knowledge is not very common and I get annoyed by the misuse of the word here. Midwesterners may know pizza and hot dogs better than anywhere else in the country. But with the exception of those in KC and along the Mississippi river, BBQ is something they make not something they do with charcoal or LP.

Growing up on Long Island (pre cable days), I had no idea what Dominoes was until I got to college. You got pizza from your local pizza parlor usually run by some lower level family in the mob. I remember going across the street from my elementary school one afternoon for a slice. There was a black car out front and a few really big guys at the door. "Waddaya want?" "Ummm... pizza." "We're closed.". "But there are two guys in there eating." "Kid, I said we're closed."
In college someone on my hall asked if "i wanted Dominoes." "I guess so. What's Dominoes?" I then figured Dominoes was the local pizza parlor or some slang for pizza. It was crappy, but I figured heck, it was what they liked there. It was not until I asked someone if they wanted to "go to Dominoes and hang out" that they explained what it was.

I grew up in South Jersey and we almost never got the cardboard from Dominos. The best (and often times least expensive) Pizza was from the local Pizza Parlor's .Actually, the food is probably one of the few things I actually miss about South Jersey

It was yummy.

Nonsense.

I used to walk to Rosa's. Best pizza in th' country. An' Tony is th' best at tossin' a pie.
That was in Holly Springs GA. He closed up shop, and his spot is now the post office.
But he's moved his operation to downtown, and only open for the lunch rush.
Which is too far to go for a slice at lunch time.

Are what suburban 12 year olds eat because their parents don't have time to make them real food. Same category and class as chicken nuggets.

BBQ is what it's all about. Texas, NC, SC, KC. they're cute and they try, bless their hearts. But memphis wins.

Been in Georgia/SC for a year and a half, haven't eaten at a BBQ place twice. It's depressing. Went to TX and they try to pass beef off on me as BBQ. Sorry but BBQ means there's a dead pig and only a dead pig around. Anything else is "grillin" and no I don't care if it was smoked. WTF is brisket? It ain't BBQ.

I love that you snuck a "bless their hearts" in there. LOL!

Growing up on Long Island (pre cable days), I had no idea what Dominoes was until I got to college. You got pizza from your local pizza parlor usually run by some lower level family in the mob.

Yeah, I lived north of NYC for a long while, the best pizza comes from these joints, usually with at least three generations of the family in there yelling at each other. Great pizza.

I also miss real diners run by real Greeks, and real grinder shops, none of this Subway crap...

I am going to have to agree with the primary point-- Memphis has the best BBQ. I love a good dry-rubbed rack of pork ribs.

I am going to have to disagree that NC is cute and it tries. I can't even give them that much credit. WTF is with that vinegar crap they adulterate their "food" with? NC BBQ-ers remind me of the Cincinnati folks and their gawd-awful Skyline Chile.

Yeah, I lived north of NYC for a long while, the best pizza comes from these joints, usually with at least three generations of the family in there yelling at each other. Great pizza.

I also miss real diners run by real Greeks, and real grinder shops, none of this Subway crap...

Delis were either German, Italian or Jewish. In my town they were German and Italian. First time my mom took me to a kosher deli I was probably 13. Got to the front and asked for a turkey and swiss on rye. My mom hissed at me "Meat and cheese!" while everyone in line starting muttering "Oy vey! What a goy!" Guy at the counter yells at me "NO MEAT AND CHEESE!!" I was confused. My mother hissed again, "This is a kosher deli. You can't have meat and cheese together." I had Jewish friends growing up and ate with them, but it is one of the kosher things I just never noticed.

Delis were either German, Italian or Jewish. In my town they were German and Italian. First time my mom took me to a kosher deli I was probably 13. Got to the front and asked for a turkey and swiss on rye. My mom hissed at me "Meat and cheese!" while everyone in line starting muttering "Oy vey! What a goy!" Guy at the counter yells at me "NO MEAT AND CHEESE!!" I was confused. My mother hissed again, "This is a kosher deli. You can't have meat and cheese together." I had Jewish friends growing up and ate with them, but it is one of the kosher things I just never noticed.

Technically speaking, eating dairy and fowl together is not forbidden by Torah. It's a safeguard that was first put into place in the Talmud (specifically, Tractate Hullin (8:4)), partially for cultural reasons and partially to prevent accidentally eating meat with dairy, which would violate Torah.

The precautionary interpretation was slow catching on, however, especially among the Sephardim. It was eventually codified in the Shulhan Arukh (Yoreh Deah 87:3), but was clearly identified as a Rabbinical rule, not a Torah violation.

-Rich

Technically speaking, eating dairy and fowl together is not forbidden by Torah. It's a safeguard that was first put into place in the Talmud (specifically, Tractate Hullin (8:4)), partially for cultural reasons and partially to prevent accidentally eating meat with dairy, which would violate Torah.

The precautionary interpretation was slow catching on, however, especially among the Sephardim. It was eventually codified in the Shulhan Arukh (Yoreh Deah 87:3), but was clearly identified as a Rabbinical rule, not a Torah violation.

-Rich

Another PERFECT reason for me to not join ANY religion...:no:....:rolleyes:

I live it when BBQ purists argue about different types of BBQ while I eat their portion. Heh.

ejunasup.jpg
ebeja4e4.jpg
ve9edage.jpg

I don't care what you call it or what you think BBQ is, it better be good and not smothered in some type of sauce. If you have to cover it in sauce, don't serve it!!

I don't care what you call it or what you think BBQ is, it better be good and not smothered in some type of sauce. If you have to cover it in sauce, don't serve it!!

Look! It's a pot roast. The kirklands is a nice touch, Costco of BBQ…sounds about right. I just put my seeds in the ground for this years batch of seasoning.

Look! It's a pot roast. The kirklands is a nice touch, Costco of BBQ…sounds about right. I just put my seeds in the ground for this years batch of seasoning.

atyzugyd.jpg

If that's considered a pot, then I'll call it a pot roast. The kirklands container has a salt and pepper mix, none of that premade rub junk.

If that's considered a pot, then I'll call it a pot roast. The kirklands container has a salt and pepper mix, none of that premade rub junk.

Overcompensating for something? :D

(Sorry, all's fair in BBQ wars)

Overcompensating for something? :D

(Sorry, all's fair in BBQ wars)

Nah, I just don't like to half ass stuff, go big or go home. The scary thing is this pit is small compared to some.

Nah, I just don't like to half ass stuff, go big or go home. The scary thing is this pit is small compared to some.

I know and they put meat in them that a slow cooker would reject. I have a rig that I made out of an INOP water heater.

Back