Hot Cargo

Well, pretty sure it doesn't mean "stolen". I wouldn't expect it to mean "radioactive" or you wouldn't see it that frequently. Those are my guesses, and I shot them down myself! :)

What is "hot cargo"? I see this all the time on taxiway diagrams.
I tried looking on the FAA site and all I found were diagrams. There are sometimes two on a field and they are always in an area well away from other operations.

This makes me think they may be carrying explosives or something of volatile nature. It has me pretty curious, now.

This makes me think they may be carrying explosives or something of volatile nature. It has me pretty curious, now.

You're right. It's where aircraft carrying ammo can park. Is also used for aircraft carrying nuclear materials, and aircraft arriving with leaking hazardous waste containers will be directed there for proper handling by a hazmat crew.

Hm. In my business, it means stuff that needs to get there ASAP like yesterday. For instance when I'm at the terminal in Wausau, WI at 3 or 4 PM and they say "Uh, can you get to Georgia by 6 AM?" :hairraise:

(I did make it, BTW.)

Hm. In my business, it means stuff that needs to get there ASAP like yesterday. For instance when I'm at the terminal in Wausau, WI at 3 or 4 PM and they say "Uh, can you get to Georgia by 6 AM?" :hairraise:

(I did make it, BTW.)
The first courier company I was with eleven years ago called a one-hour rush a... "Hotlanta." They even came through on the pager that way. I just called them a "hot."

"Hot Cargo" in a plane for me would be... taking a cutie pie up for a ride. But, you won't catch me calling her "cargo"! Although, there once was a guy who came into our school looking for a Discovery Flight. He was a big ole boy so they had to use the other Skylane. They were up the same time I was up doing commercial maneuvers. I called the other CFI air-to-air and referred to the plane as.... "Four-Three-Delta-Heavy." His prospective student didn't have a clue but Joe was laughing it off later on.

Canceling Seven-Five-Zero-Zero. Squawking VFR! :D

Back