Hospital admission 55 years ago when I was 5 years old

W

Wanna fly

I'm 60 now and would like to get my PPL, but looking over the FAA form I need to list all hospital admissions. When I was 5 years old I ended up in the hospital for a few days. I believe it was stomach flu I could not keep down even water I don't really know exactly. My parents both passed on, and I'm not even sure what hospital I was in. What would the FAA expect me to produce for them?

This is the only hospital admission where I stayed overnight I had been to the ER a few times over the years finger laceration needed stitching. Once I got some wood dust in my eye ER doc got it out with just flushing it. He had me follow up with a eye doctor found nothing wrong. Those visits were 15-17 years ago nothing recent other then my normal yearly and dentist.

I'm concerned they will want records and I can't produce any that will lead to a denial?

First, you're required to complete the application to the best of your knowledge. You don't know what you don't know. Second, going to the ER is not a hospital admission.

I don't think your old admission is going to be an issue. I really wouldn't expect an AME to want hospital records for a hospital admission for gastroenteritis 55 years ago. But what you should do, for a number of reasons, is go to an AME for a consult prior to having an exam for your medical. You can fill out the medxpress form and bring it with you, but don't give the file number. When you book the appointment, make sure you're clear that you want a consultation. If the AME you choose doesn't do consultations, choose a different AME.

I'm not a doc but I don't see any reason for you to be concerned ... unless you have a marijuana tattoo. :stirpot:

Does the database the FAA gained access to even go back 55yrs?

I cannot *reliably* remember a single damn thing from when I was 5 years old. This isn't anything to be concerned about, and I'd be inclined to remember that I had a few really good naps that made 1 day feel like 2 or 3 days.

That being said, it is prudent for anyone with any doubts whatsoever on medical certification to get a consult with an AME before doing any FAA forms.

All of these hospital visits sound like the kind of thing where:
You report it (to the best of your knowledge),
The AME says "OK", or makes a "hmmmph" sort of noise indicating that it's no big deal, not worth anyone's time to investigate, writes down something to that effect,
You report it as "Previously reported, no change" on all future medicals.

Does the database the FAA gained access to even go back 55yrs?

What makes you think it would be in ANY database???

55 years ago it is a paper record in a file folder.

Not necessarily true!

I had a MD appointment in the Yale New Haven main hospital. I was also born there, some 60 years earlier. When asked if I had ever been to that hospital before, I answered “yes”, grinning, fully expecting a wild goose chase to ensue. Much computer keyboarding, and finally they gave up. “We have no records of your former visit. When was it?” I told them and they said that older visits was recorded on a different database. After another few minutes of fingers flying over the keyboard, they found the record of little Skippy.

Good thing Mom and Dad paid the bill!

-Skip

Most of us have been admitted to the hospital at birth... just sayin'.

Most of us have been admitted to the hospital at birth... just sayin'.

Were we admitted to the hospital though? Mom probably was, but the kiddo....I don't know if they have an admission form if you start out in the hospital.

Were we admitted to the hospital though? Mom probably was, but the kiddo....I don't know if they have an admission form if you start out in the hospital.

I was admitted. I spent about 10 days in-patient for some internal bleeding. They were sharpening up the scalpels for exploratory surgery when the bleeding stopped. No recurrences, thankfully!

-Skip

The ironic thing is I walked the straight and narrow as a square engineering grad student ..I had to go be a pilot to become a prolific and unrepentant liar for a living lmao.

I blame the industry though; heck even my checkride failure TMAATs they tell me to feign contrition :rofl:.
#hatethegame

I don't remember signing anything. But peeing on the doctor's tie might count.

I forgot to put down that I had my tonsils came out at age 6, next exam I asked the AME and told him, he looked at me and laughed, leave it off there will be no records now for that.

Only thing I remember for that hospital visit was that the nurse was really hot in her white uniform

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back