horizon indicators - how many?

islandboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
islandboy
My reading of 91.205 conflicts with information received from peers:

How many horizon-indicating devices are required for Instrument Flight?

My reading of 91.205 conflicts with information received from peers:

How many horizon-indicating devices are required for Instrument Flight?

One, two, or three, depending on other installed (or not installed) equipment.

I go with 7:

1- Vacuum
2- Electric
3 - Coal powered
4 - Oil powered
5 - Force powered
6 - Magic Powered
7 - Solar powered (DO NOT use at night)

....but in all seriousness..I had two, one vacuum, one electric. I got rid of the electric as it was using up prime real-estate for the panel and put in a second VOR/GS in it's place.

Your answers for required equipment are found in TOMATO FLAMES and GRAB CARD, pilgrim. ;)

But what's confusing about 91.205(d)(8)? It says simply "Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon).

There's no requirement for more than one.

Your answers for required equipment are found in TOMATO FLAMES and GRAB CARD, pilgrim. ;)

But what's confusing about 91.205(d)(8)? It says simply "Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon).

There's no requirement for more than one.
...except in 91.205(d)(3)(i), and FAA guidance that says you can replace a rate of turn indicator in a light airplane with a second AI.

...except in 91.205(d)(3)(i), and FAA guidance that says you can replace a rate of turn indicator in a light airplane with a second AI.

True, but that says under what circumstances you can skip a rate of turn indicator, not how many AI you would need.

Depends on the instrument set and application, either one, two, or three.

The FARs clearly reference an optional "third" AI, but I can't find any reference to a "second" one.

Required Number of Attitude Indicators for Instrument Flight that I Can Find:
  • one - FAR 91.205(d)(8) unconditionally requires a “gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon)”
  • Two - ???
  • Three - FAR 91.205(d)(3)(1) conditionally requires a “third” attitude indicator in order to legally not have a gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator

Any help? I'm probably missing something.

When do you legally "need" two?

The FARs clearly reference an optional "third" AI, but I can't find any reference to a "second" one.

Required Number of Attitude Indicators for Instrument Flight that I Can Find:
  • one - FAR 91.205(d)(8) unconditionally requires a “gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon)”
  • Two - ???
  • Three - FAR 91.205(d)(3)(1) conditionally requires a “third” attitude indicator in order to legally not have a gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator

Any help? I'm probably missing something.

When do you legally "need" two?

Two pilot aircraft.

Yep, that's another one, although I prefer to keep a needle and ball.

Real pilots all do. :D

IMO, a needle and ball are superior as part of the instrument group up to about 180-200 KTAS, above which the additional AI becomes more useful.

I suspect aircraft certified under Part 25 require three: two primary and one standby.

Back