Hood options

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I need a hood.

I wear glasses, progressives, so I have a reading section on the lower part of the lenses. I've normally used Foggles, but the drawback with those is the clear area is only over the reading portion of my lenses and I have a tough time seeing the panel without tipping them up or raising my head too far. Yesterday I tried a Francis hood - wow, that's some tunnel vision there - but it wouldn't fit over my glasses.

I've tried the DIY manila folder types, too. I have one of those buried in my flight bag...somewhere. It seems to work OK, probably good enough, but it's pretty tattered right now.

Anybody have a favorite that works well over bi-focals? Maybe one of those shade things that fits over the visor of a baseball hat?

Forget what they're called but they look like clip ons. Cover the top and sides, leaves the bottom open. Cost about $15..You'er probably going to have to live with the fact that you'll be moving your head up and down regardless of what you end up using.

http://www.skygeek.com/asa-hoodwink.html#

It works with glasses. That said it functions poorly for view limiting. I wouldn't recommend it for a new instrument student but it's okay for folks who have already developed a disciplined scan.

Best Hood (like Manila folder type material with elastic). That's what I used.

Superhood for baseball cap? No experience.

The Jepp thing that looks like you're in a dog cone of shame work really well over glasses or anything else really. It's huge.

Here's the ASA version.

9f3e42c94e4fcccd348a8e0ef6bec92b.jpg

I asked a similar question a few years ago.... and the "Best Hood" was the winner in the value category.

Also, reach out to Dr. Bruce... he has a PDF template to make these out of manilla folders. Just need the elastic from an old halloween mask.

Military uses curtains in some aircraft. Or has in the past.
When Dad was instructing in T38's in the 60's, it was a curtain.

He tells a story about having the student "in the bag" during unusual attitude training. He tells the student to put his chin on his chest and ear on his right shoulder, then does the typical jinking, jiving, altitude changes, throttle changes, and ends with the aircraft being straight and level, but inverted. Tells his student, "Your airplane". Student misreads the artificial horizon and pulls back on the stick and advances the throttle to military power. Dad reports that by the time the student figured out what he was doing wrong, he had completed a textbook split S maneuver.

I asked a similar question a few years ago.... and the "Best Hood" was the winner in the value category.

Also, reach out to Dr. Bruce... he has a PDF template to make these out of manilla folders. Just need the elastic from an old halloween mask.
That's where I got mine. I still have that PDF somewhere.

HoodTemplate.JPG

Found it:

HoodTemplate.JPG

"Best IFR Hood" (TM) - $11.99 on eBay.

On one of my PP lessons, the CFI didn't bring his hood thinking I had one. When he found out we neither had one he took a sectional, folded it and stuck it under my headset band. Worked just fine for a hood. (You can't do that with an iPad! :D )

John

Last edited:
Back