Honest: It wasn't me

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
The story goes like this:

The 4th Sunday of the month is display day at El Monte airport. Bring your classic airplane and you get a signature that you displayed it. Do it so many times and you avoid California State property tax on the plane. So we get a decent turn out.

A Waco bi-plane comes in and as we know they don't have good forward visibility taxiing. Well I was quite surprised that they can't see an airplane parked at close to 90° to their taxi direction, but I guess it's possible because this one decided to cut across transient parking tie downs to the display area.

Pictures attached show what a turning prop can do to the light gauge aluminum used for the horizontal and vertical stabilizer of a 172 that was unfortunately parked in the transient row.

Well the pictures are cool but the real story is that this older gentleman shuts down gets out, looks at the damage, leaves contact info (I believe). Then gets a tow bar and pushes his plane back starts up and flies home:eek:

In my book this counts as a prop strike but who knows I've never flown a Waco.

Joe

BTW: this happened months ago and that 172 has been just sitting there.

Attachments

• 2010-04-03 08.15.12.jpg
    2010-04-03 08.15.12.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 408
  • 2010-04-03 08.14.46.jpg
    2010-04-03 08.14.46.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 394
The story goes like this:

The 4th Sunday of the month is display day at El Monte airport. Bring your classic airplane and you get a signature that you displayed it. Do it so many times and you avoid California State property tax on the plane. So we get a decent turn out.

A Waco bi-plane comes in and as we know they don't have good forward visibility taxiing. Well I was quite surprised that they can't see an airplane parked at close to 90° to their taxi direction, but I guess it's possible because this one decided to cut across transient parking tie downs to the display area.

Pictures attached show what a turning prop can do to the light gauge aluminum used for the horizontal and vertical stabilizer of a 172 that was unfortunately parked in the transient row.

Well the pictures are cool but the real story is that this older gentleman shuts down gets out, looks at the damage, leaves contact info (I believe). Then gets a tow bar and pushes his plane back starts up and flies home:eek:

In my book this counts as a prop strike but who knows I've never flown a Waco.

Joe

BTW: this happened months ago and that 172 has been just sitting there.

That'll buff right out but might require a bit of trim to compensate.

If it didn't hurt the prop it probably didn't hurt the engine. One of the Waribirds at Oshkosh a year or two ago taxied right into an RV, killed a guy.

I mean, that's a big prop, and some thin aluminum...I guess it could have done some damage to the Waco's engine, but in all likelihood it probably "buffed out" as they say around here ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back