Honda Nighthawk Dead

Check chain and sprocket for wear, and make certain the tires have chicken stripes. I myself will not by a superbike with lots of miles. Too much potential abuse could happen in that time. On the other hand, you sound more mechanical than me (or at least you have more time to wrench). Good luck.

Check chain and sprocket for wear, and make certain the tires have chicken stripes. I myself will not by a superbike with lots of miles. Too much potential abuse could happen in that time. On the other hand, you sound more mechanical than me (or at least you have more time to wrench). Good luck.

I don't really consider 15,000 high miles. I've put more miles then that on a bike in one riding season before. I'm more concerned about the owner's maintenance habits.

I've put a lot of miles on bikes too, but most people don't. I consider 15K a lot; bikes often don't hold up as well as cars. For a cruiser or large-bore straight up bike it wouldn't bother me too much, and my last bike had 10K when I bought it. But a sportbike...

I've put a lot of miles on bikes too, but most people don't. I consider 15K a lot; ... But a sportbike...

Hmm, my F2 had 36k on it when a buddy totalled it, I had 54k on my VFR when another knucklehead totalled it, my XX had something like 46k on it when I grew bored and traded it on something else. I have a buddy in Boston who just rolled 100k on his Blackbird, still runs great.

Just about every bike, regardless of manufacture, should be capable of reaching 100k if maintained in accordance with the manual. Some bikes, BMWs, Goldwings, etc., should be capable of 250k without much issue.

Modern motorcycles are very reliable and durable vehicles.

Last edited:
Hmm, my F2 had 36k on it when a buddy totalled it, I had 54k on my VFR when another knucklehead totalled it, my XX had something like 46k on it when I grew bored and traded it on something else. I have a buddy in Boston who just rolled 100k on his Blackbird, still runs great.

Just about every bike, regardless of manufacture, should be capable of reaching 100k if maintained in accordance with the manual. Some bikes, BMWs, Goldwings, etc., should be capable of 250k without much issue.

Modern motorcycles are very reliable and durable vehicles.

You, sir, obviously need to stop loaning your motorcycle to other people. :yes:

You, sir, obviously need to stop loaning your motorcycle to other people. :yes:

Clearly, Bill is very in touch with his bikes and knows when their time is up. Loaning the bike to a "friend" for that final ride makes good sense to me. :D

Clearly, Bill is very in touch with his bikes and knows when their time is up. Loaning the bike to a "friend" for that final ride makes good sense to me. :D

Remind me to never borrow a bike from Bill...or you for that matter. :hairraise:

Most of my earier riding was on much smaller bikes, and they didn't last quite that long. The one I abandoned in Quaxaca City in Mexico was in need of major mechanical attention, then again Mexico didn't help it much.

I know a rather large number of people who have had bikes (mostly smaller than 750cc) blow rods and engines and so forth. These were also older bikes. Your point about the Bandit is well taken, just make certain your seller thinks the same way. You can stunt a Bandit just as easily as any other in-line 4.

My 954 is the first really nice bike I've owned, and certainly the largest and the fastest. I've heard they run forever, which is one of the reasons I bought it. I've put about 30K miles on every bike I've owned. And I sold all of them before they blew up, too.

Most of my earier riding was on much smaller bikes, and they didn't last quite that long. The one I abandoned in Quaxaca City in Mexico was in need of major mechanical attention, then again Mexico didn't help it much.

I know a rather large number of people who have had bikes (mostly smaller than 750cc) blow rods and engines and so forth. These were also older bikes. Your point about the Bandit is well taken, just make certain your seller thinks the same way. You can stunt a Bandit just as easily as any other in-line 4.

My 954 is the first really nice bike I've owned, and certainly the largest and the fastest. I've heard they run forever, which is one of the reasons I bought it. I've put about 30K miles on every bike I've owned. And I sold all of them before they blew up, too.

It's a gamble. If I end up having to rebuild--I end up having to rebuild. The nice thing about having a Bandit is parts are a plenty and tons of shops specialize in them.

I'm already thinking about replacing the stock pistons with some high compression ones. We shall see...

Last edited:
Plus some Marvel Mystery Oil and TCP, that shoud do the trick! :D

Exactly!

I do put MMO in my truck. It helps keep one of the valve from sticking. I should really get it fixed but with over 160,000 miles on the truck I would rather let it die of natural causes and buy something new.

It's a gamble. If I end up having to rebuild--I end up having to rebuild. The nice thing about having a Bandit is parts are a plenty and tons of shops specialize in them.

I'm already thinking about replacing the stock pistons with some high compression ones. We shall see...

Yup, that motor is the small block Chevy of the motorcycle world, you can build one as mild or wild as you like...

I bought a 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S in Silver yesterday. I put about two hundred miles on it and it rides like a dream. I've wanted this bike for three years and it is exactly what I always imagined.

I wasn't planning on full coverage insurance but before I went to bed last night I got worried. What if someone breaks in my garage and steals my baby? What if the garage burns down? What if a satellite crashes into it? It has full coverage now.

Time to take a shower and race to the airport to catch my flight to Florida for the week.

I'm in Florida now with Tristan. We rented a 2005 Yamaha R6. Very fast for a 600 although not exactly very comfortable.

732d0fdd30.jpg

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?732d0fdd30.jpg

I wonder what percentage of your rental was the insurance necessary to rent that motorcycle to a male rider your age.:hairraise::hairraise:

Nice bike...nice pic.:yes:

I wonder what percentage of your rental was the insurance necessary to rent that motorcycle to a male rider your age.:hairraise::hairraise:

Well. I think the $500 deposit plus the fact that I had to sign my life away had something to do with it. They made Tristan sign as well, since she's all older and stuff.

Said and done it was about $100 for 4 hours. Not that bad compared to renting an airplane.

The bike was pretty nice but I do like mine better. I'm sure that bike is a lot of fun in tight corners or on a track. For every day riding it's a bit too much sport and not enough practicality.

It made me love my Bandit even more. Here is a picture I took right after I took ownership.

b799a71c87.jpg

Jesse I might have some parts for you I own an 83 nighthawk 650sc. Had to swap an engine as well. Sounds like you bent a valve. Thats a hardcore job on that motor. I found a new engine on ebay for $325

Back